Revive mechanic in mobile games

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by HEAT9, Sep 26, 2015.

1. HEAT9

HEAT9 Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Hey all, I recently released my arcade game titled Popcorn Chef to Android https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ramsayamarin.popcornchef. I am currently working on the next update which will add skins, coins and challenges.

Today my friend was playing the game beside me and complained about the lack of a revive option on loss, which he said makes other games he plays less frustrating, citing Subway Surfers and Pac-man 256 as an example (but only a single revive instead of unlimited). This is a big decision for me because there is no going back after I add it in. I personally never thought of the revive mechanic as anything but a way to make money, but my friend said it makes games more enjoyable.

In looking for some guidance, I noticed that Crossy Road does not have the revive mechanic, which it could have easily added in, but then the same developers did add the revive option to their next game, Pac-man 256. I dont understand why have it in Pac-man 256 but not Crossy road.

I would like to get more opinions if possible from you on whether a revive option is suitable for my game Popcorn Chef. Thank you.

2. SpiritBomb Studios

SpiritBomb Studios Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Game Developer
    Saigon, Vietnam
    I believe that it depends on the feeling you want your players to have.
    Generally when player see the revive button, they will feel that this game is not purely skill-based. Because the revive mechanic is just a way to let players cheat to get higher score.
    So if you want your players to compete more on playing skills, you should not do it.

3. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I think temple run did the revive mechanic well.

It is simply a choice and can work. I think mentally the revive mechanic is a good idea.

4. Columbo

Columbo Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Personally, the purity of Crossy Road is a big part of why I like that game a lot more than Pacman 256, and I think it's a large part of Crossy Road's viral success. There are different characters and some of them change the environment, but none of them actually make it any easier, so scores are much more meaningful (and therefore shareable!).

I think a revive mechanic would have destroyed that purity, as would any power-up or upgrade system.

I think you should ask yourself if your game has that purity, and if it does, is it important to you and your users? If not, then you can probably add revives without negatively affecting the game.

5. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    But each character in crossy road made you feel like you have unlocked something. That was the carrot! It wasn't just a new skin, it changed the game a little bit.