?

is it important to have a story in a game?

1. yes absolutely, it's a necessity for me. wont buy a game without one.

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. i prefer having a story but if its a great game, then i guess it's not needed

10 vote(s)
    58.8%
  3. i could really care less

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. no

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    does including a storyline in a game important?

2. songbird

songbird Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    It definitely helps, it gives the game more depth and makes players more likely to cotinue playing so they can find out the ending.

3. MexicanJesus

MexicanJesus Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Depends on the game, but usually yes.

4. songbird

Dec 4, 2009
    Yeah, It does depend based on genre and actual game play.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I was about to write the same thing (about puzzles) then I remembered PuzzleQuest...

6. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Not necessarily. If I was looking for an adventure/action/RPG game, then yes, a story is very important.

However, if I was looking for a pick-up-and-play game, then why would I be interested in a story?

7. songbird

Dec 4, 2009
    Exactly, it depends on the genre and the gameplay. Take hack n'slash and shoot 'em up games. Some of these games would be weird if they had a storyline but some of them have a really nicely implemented one.

8. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

The amount of story you need to make a game enjoyable really changes depending on the game. A puzzle game needs no story, a platformer needs a general sense of why you're trying to accomplish a certain task but too much story can be a dealbreaker. I only want a storyline to come into contact with the actual gameplay if it adds something signifcant to it.

9. Scottlarsen

Scottlarsen Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2009
    A good dramatic story is always appealing. It's not essential, but it doesn't hurt.

10. one f jef

one f jef Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    To me, it's black and white ... either the game is a game with a story, which is the reward, or a high score game, which is the reward.

I don't find high scores or scores in general that rewarding, so I'm definitely a story guy.

I don't expect great stories from app store games though. I expect functional ones, sure. If I only bought games that had great stories, my iPod would be empty. Functional story is as good as I can expect or hope for.

SO ya basically, I hate high score games, so, I'm stuck in neverneverland as far as iPod gaming is concerned, because it seems like very few people aren't obsessed with arbitrary numbers.

11. starmonkey101

starmonkey101 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    FLA, USA
    i hate almost all score games. i need the sense of accomplishment when i beat a game and a score game doesnt have that. i also love games with stories