iPad Air and Retina Mini your thoughts

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by GaZ-OiD, Nov 18, 2013.

1. GaZ-OiD

GaZ-OiD Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    Sorry if this post is elsewhere but I have not seen it.

Thoughts if you have one and thoughts about getting one??

It's a vast improvement over my iPad 3 in terms of graphic intensive games and all other tasks in general,

Faster web access is brilliant and I get 50/60 meg download speeds as opposed to 30/40 meg on my iPad 3

I'm very pleased with the investment :)

2. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Got an iPad air after dropping my iPod while out and I have to say it is the best thing ever. The graphics are way better than my iPod 4 and it doesn't crash when I try delete apps. One thing bad about it is that it doesn't really work well with some of my old apps... (iOS 7??)
    Ps. What happens if you try to play iPhone apps on an iPad?

3. GaZ-OiD

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    Older apps and ios7 does not always make for a happy combination :(

iPhone apps can be upscaled to play on iPad but they have borders unless they are universal

4. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    iPad Air

Noticeably faster than my iPad 3. Has a yellowish tint/hue screen compared to iPad 3. Battery is really good at 12+ hours of games, wifi and watching movies casually (granted it is new). Some of my favorite games are crashing on it and basically unplayable. But upgrading from 64gb to 128gb seems to be enough to justify my purchase and enjoy my iPad Air. :D

5. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    iPad air 32 gb here and I love it coming from an iPad 2 lol Not going to lie though I still have like buyers remorse or a guilty feeling!

6. GaZ-OiD

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    Big improvement from my iPad 3 which I have not sold and will not sell! It is still a great iPad and still gets used everyday but the jump from iPad 2 must be immense with Retina display to go with all that extra horsepower :)

Life's to short for remorse, you have the best tablet in the World today so just enjoy it!! :)

7. GaZ-OiD

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    The yellowish tint was first reported with iPad 3 if I'm not mistaken? It appeared with the Retina display, I could very slightly notice it on my 3 and can slightly notice with my Air but it's so slight as to not really worth mentioning.

It was a big debate in apple forums when 3 was launched but most of the comments were way over the top unless their devices were faulty or their eyes were a bit dodgy lol. I only notice a very very slight tint in patches on a pure white screen but it's certainly nothing worth worrying about imo

8. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    It is a huge difference just I always feel bad for spending that amount of money. I am learning ways to cope with it by playing Oceanhorn lol

9. GaZ-OiD

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    A good game will always take your mind off trivial things like remorse, the cost, justification and guilt lol :)

10. [M&B]Games

[M&B]Games Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Got a new mini. I absolutely LOVE it. Insanely better than the last generation. Definitely wouldn't go with an Air over it for gaming. I personally believe the mini is the perfect tablet. It fits in one hand comfortably, has essentially the same specs, and it is gorgeous!

11. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    Rofl you aren't helping my cause :D

12. Isn't he saying that the ipad air has a yellowish tint?

I think it is because the majority of ipad 3 screens were made by Samsung and had a little better color than the current manufacturer LG.

13. GaZ-OiD

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    Bigger screen and slightly faster A7 Chip 1.4 ghz to the 1.3 ghz on the mini does it for me although the speed difference won't be that noticeable, I love the bigger screen for gaming and just about everything else I do on the Air :)

14. GaZ-OiD

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    There is a very very slight yellowish tint on my Air but you need to stare to really notice it. The overall screen seems better on the Air though than the already impressive ipad 3

15. GaZ-OiD

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    Forget your cause, let the guilt and remorse just run over your soul and then let it free as a bird, never to be seen or felt again lol :)

16. Amenbrother

Jun 24, 2011
    Lolol

17. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    Using Mailbox app as standard, I compared my iPad 3 and Air. The iPad 3 is clearly a lot whiter than the Air, and the Air has a noticeable yellowish hue. Please do note, that if you are not comparing it side by side, the yellowish hue is not actually that noticeable with the Air.

Some are complaining of part yellowish and part blueish hue with the Air, I am just happy to have, at least, consistent all yellow hue.

I did a screenshot of the iPad 3 and Air and they both came out white. I am not technical, so I would just assume it's a screen issue or color projection of the screen. While I did pay premium price for a hopefully premium product, it is not really bothering me much, base on the other pros of Air vs iPad 3.

18. quangvietnguyen

quangvietnguyen Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    only "way better"? :D
    Your iPad Air has 56 times faster graphics performance and 12 times faster processing power ;)

19. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    Say, when I install backups of apps from an older device without Retina dusplay on these new fancy iPads, if those apps support Retina they will run in high resolution right?

20. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Just received an iPad mini with retina display (courtesy of being a my company for 5 years)..and love the form factor. Everything is so fast, and it's so light. So far haven't experienced and random lags like on my iPad 3. Will mess around with it some more over the next few days. Time to give my iPad 3 to my brother or parents.