24 Hour Sale: The 7th Guest for iPhone/iPod

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by Mica_Cardillo, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Mica_Cardillo

Mica_Cardillo Member

Jan 20, 2011
    The 7th Guest for iPhone/iPod $2.99>$0.99 (USD) on Thursday, February 24

Here at Trilobyte Games, we're very thankful for the customers who have supported us and enjoyed The 7th Guest at the regular price of $2.99 for iPhone/iPod and $5.99 for iPad.

We are going to run a 24 hour sale only on the iPhone/iPod version of The 7th Guest. If you enjoy the game on iPhone and you have an iPad, we hope you consider supporting our efforts by picking up the iPad version at the regular price.

The sale should kick off at approximately 11 pm this Wednesday night and continue for about 24 hours. Since we don't play the price dropping game very often, this may be your last chance to pick it up at 99 cents.

Leave a comment if you're planning on picking this one up. We'd love to hear from you.

-Mica

2. nesio718

nesio718 Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    getting paid....
    Sunny South FL!!
    why would i say no @ $.99?

3. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    #3 don_k, Feb 22, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
    1. It's buggy and glitchy. I read from reviews that one puzzle can't be finished due to a bug and he had to restart from the beginning without saving before finally he could finish the game.

2. There's an issue with the pacing of the game where everything is hyper fast and it ruins the atmosphere of the original. Heaps of people mention this issue, not sure if they'd bother fixing it or not.

4. yongkykun

yongkykun Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    3D Animator
    Indonesia
    3. You've already bought it at full price to find problems 1 and 2.

5. nesio718

nesio718 Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    getting paid....
    Sunny South FL!!
    Guess I'll be saving myself a dollar. Thanks guys

6. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    4. Controls are far from perfect. Yes it's a retro port but there are many retro ports who have great controls as well regardless of their genre, eg. Broken Sword, Wolfenstein 3D <-- compare that to Monkey Island and Duke Nukem and you'll know what I mean by getting the controls right.

7. Scrooge

Scrooge Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Then you're missing out. It worked fine for me.

8. yongkykun

Feb 12, 2009
    3D Animator
    Indonesia
    Agreed. It still is a brilliant retro game. Besides I'm pretty sure that the developers will address some of the problems if not all of them in the upcoming updates.

9. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Yeah it falls into that category of 'awesome-original-material-but-less-than-perfect-port'. Touch Arcade reviews, all user reviews on forums and Appstore agree with this. It's nowhere as lazy as SEGA's effort with the Genesis games, but not as perfect as Broken Sword or Chu Chu Rocket in terms of port quality.

Or you could just pretend everything is fine and enjoy it.

10. yongkykun

Feb 12, 2009
    3D Animator
    Indonesia
    Yes! Exactly! Couldn't put it better meself.

11. lacedolphin

lacedolphin Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    My son has a 4g and I have a 3G touch and neither of us had any problems and enjoyed playing together. I'm hoping the bring over 11th hour next!!

12. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I thought that some of those issues like the game speed were already fixed via update? Or so I read.

I was going to buy this the last time it dropped to 99 cents, but for some reason that sale only lasted a few hours. Dunno what happened there, but I will probably pick it up this time, even though I don't have the space for it on my device right now.

13. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    I'm getting it. I own the PC version but had never finised it. I was waiting for it to drop the price, and so Thursday I'll be picking it up!

Thanks.

14. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    One thing--someone mentioned that there are a few puzzles, like one with a piano, that aren't in the iPhone version of the game (not sure about the iPad version). So is there a substantial amount missing from the PC version or is it nearly complete? I also wonder why they didn't port the complete game over if that's the case.

15. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Once again, no love for the iPad.
    Sigh...
    :(

16. Mica_Cardillo

Mica_Cardillo Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I know what you're trying to say when you talk about the controls. I own a copy of Monkey Island on my iPod. We had a lot of debate internally about what would be more "true" to the original game, and we some choices along the way. A lot of people love what we did, and some others obviously found stuff they wished were different.

FYI, we're just a small development shop with a couple of programmers. Given the limitations that sometimes come with these old game engines ports, we had to prioritize and choose the battles. We fixed several issues for the first update back in December, and we're working on a 2nd update. We certainly have listened to the feedback and are doing what we can to address what has been said.

So there were three puzzles from the original game that we had to disable. There was no realistic way we could make them work in this port.

We did slow down the transitions from scene to scene, so that really helps the pacing of the game. However, the little scull-activated animations cannot be slowed down or speeded up. Just another funky thing that comes with this particular port.

We appreciate your opinions and will keep them in mind as we develop new games and port other old games. If The 7th Guest port isn't right for you, we certainly understand where you're coming from.

BTW, it's less than a month till we roll out a new little game. Stay tuned.

17. Mica_Cardillo

Mica_Cardillo Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Sorry Gekkota, no discount on the iPad version this time around. It's our bread and butter... keeping the lights in our little development shop, so-to-speak.

18. Mica_Cardillo

Mica_Cardillo Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Medianotzu, FYI 19 out of 22 puzzles are fully enabled in the game. Still enough to get some nostalgia on and keep you plenty busy, and for less than the price of a cup of fancy coffee :)

19. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    I see...thanks for your post explaining the process. :) I will definitely be picking it up when the sale hits.

20. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    That's awesome to hear. Believe me, 99c is not a huge amount of money (though it still means something in the Appstore as with 99c you can get games like Monkey Island 1 & 2, Street Fighter IV, etc), but what matters most is the game itself. If it's done / ported right, most wouldn't mind paying more, so it's great that you're ironing out the bugs and glitches.

May we know what to expect in the 2nd update? and if you're still going to try to fix the rest of the issues beyond the 2nd update, eg. the skull-activated animation?

Thanks!