Universal World to Conquer (by Easy 8 Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Louard, Apr 19, 2011.

1. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    thanks Stroff! I love Card Shark (installed on two devices!) so I am sure I will love this too. Installing now so should have some impressions later this evening.

(The promo code redeeming policy thing is confusing at this point but it looks like iTunes will allow me to)

2. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Thanks for the update regarding the skirmish maps and understand they take time to balance them. I'm glad more are coming later.

Oh, I'm excited about the in-game skirmish map editor. :)

3. Sxethang

Sxethang Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Thank you Stroffolino! I will leave my review sometime tomorrow after I've had a chance to play!

4. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    OK, 3 things...

1) Thank you Stroff.

2) The game is very good. Haven't had time to play much, but I definitely liked what I saw.

3) I redeemed it on iTunes, but iTunes will not let me post a review or even leave a star rating.

5. Sxethang

Sxethang Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    I tried leaving a review but got the infamous "must own to leave a review" notice. So here go my impressions.

Think rpg meets chess. The levels consist of 2 to 3 battles each it seems, maybe more but I have not played that far ahead. At the beginning of each level you are given a set number of various troops. Now is when the chess comes into play, each different character has a specific way in which they can move, some can only move once while others can move several spots on their turns. Your job is to take down the enemies while trying to protect as much of your own. Any troops you lose are one less you will have for the following levels within that stage.

I'm enjoy this game because the stages can have different strategies, almost making it a different experience every time. This game is very easy on the eyes as well as the art is fantastic. And the sound effects of the characters, well you have to hear them to appreciate them.

I honestly can't find anything negative in anyway about this game, I've been sitting here seeing what I could critique, but there are no issues that I've come across.

So since I can't give stars on iTunes…Here you go. ★★★★★

Thank you again. Good going Devs!:D

6. Tastyfish

Tastyfish Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Have only played half a dozen levels and enjoying it. The difficulty seems about right. Since I'm still early on I've only used the first 2 units (swordsman and archer). Right now it's a 4/5 until I get further and see the other units.

Have some questions/suggestions:

1 - Is there an undo button somewhere? Sometimes I move my archer by mistake and can't take it back. (would like an undo just for movement, not attack)
    2 - Is it explained somewhere that units carry over from battle to battle in a 2 or 3 battles skirmish? Is this a fact?
    3 - I know it sounds opposite of my first point, but, in the map screen, seems like you have an unnecessary extra click required. (choose map location, choose battle, choose fight, confirm <- don't think you need the confirm click)
    4 - Have you considered adding some sort of rpg element where winning a battle well gives an upgrade or advantage so that there seems to be more of a progression. Ex. bonus hit point to "x" number of units if you reach certain win conditions?

I really am having a good time with it, I love the graphics and feel each battle so far is about the right length for a portable game.

7. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Is iPad/Universal support planned in the near future? :)

8. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    #68 Stroffolino, May 21, 2011
    Last edited: May 21, 2011
    You can see and use most of the other units by starting a skirmish map from the main menu. There are also three unit types that you can only encounter in the campaign mode. The list of fighting units, in approximate order of appearance: soldier, archer, ninja, wizard, priestess, summoner, dryad, golem, dragon, samurai, grenadier, elementalist, healing pillar, dimitrius (final boss)

1. There's a confirmation/disambiguation step after any action. Sometimes you can both move to or attack a hex in range. To cancel an action, tap anywhere onscreen other than the move/attack confirmation buttons. Once you've made a move, however, it's done - no takebacks.

2. this is explained in help text during campaign mode. During a series of battles within a scenario, some units may be lost permantantly. Doing well in an earlier battle can greatly increase your odds of winning the subsequent battles.

3. when picking a battle to start or replay on the map, the original concept was to show a preview of the layout (as done in the skirmish picker), some statistics, and an indication of how well you'd performed (for already-won battles). Right now, the single extra click is a bit of overkill, but at least it's consistant with the rest of the UI.

4. there is no grinding/rpg aspect and we don't currently have plans to include this (though maybe in a spinoff). The earliest incarnation of the game dates back from the 80s from a TRS-80 title called "Battle" which was player vs. player only, with randomly generated maps. It's a D&D influenced fantasy-themed take on chess mixing skill & luck, rewarding strong formations and divide & conquer tactics.

9. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Depends what you mean by "near future." As it stands, the game's designed to be fat finger friendly on the small screen. There are a lot of little things that beg to be done differently with iPad resolution.

10. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    New update brings Universal and 5G widescreen support; I recommend picking up World to Conquer if you like turn based strategy games.

11. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    WTC 3.1 is out, with a handful of fixes for hotseat skirmish (local player vs player) mode.
    On sale for $1.99 now through July 4th weekend.

12. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    World to Conquer 3.2

World to Conquer 3.2 is available now, with iPad improvements and iPhone 6/6+ support. The "Move Confirm" step now optional (off by default), which is great on the larger devices.

13. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Apple's been periodically threatening random developers to remove older (perfectly working) games that haven't been updated recently, giving "30 day notice." I took this opportunity to rebuild WTC with latest Xcode and update. No functional change in this go-round, but did a full play through as part of testing and took lots of notes.

Among other things:
    - "Into the Fray" part 1 is indeed very hard, and probably merits tweaks. I can beat it about 1 in 2 attempts by sneaking my ninja over the top to hide in the upper tree, while moving all my other units to the southwest as a distraction. Then have the ninja make a mad dash for the exit once the coast is clear.
    - I agree with some of the older comments in this thread that the game would be even better with better story and more traditional RPG elements, including identifiable heroes that can be leveled up. Right now, it's a collection of standalone fantasy themed chess-like battles, loosely tied together into a generic . You can acquire advantages in multi-part battles by keeping your units alive, but that doesn't carry over any advantage to the next battle.
    - lots and lots of ideas for sequel/major update, but we'll see - a lot cooking on the back burner.

If anyone missed out on this first time around, I plan on sharing promo codes later this weekend.

14. blebhertz

blebhertz Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    I am very much interested in your game. I'll take a promo code if you have one. [email protected]

15. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I downloaded it ages ago but never played it much.

16. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Looks interesting, despite the pixely graphics and the limitations you list in your post.

Did you update for the big iPad Pro's screen too? If not, do you know what it looks like playing on one (i.e. I would prefer to not have blown-up graphics from a smaller iPad screen, let alone iPhones; or only partial use of the large screen, with black bars somewhere)?

Do you plan on doing a thread with the promocodes, or to give them out individually? If the latter, I wouldn't mind receiving one as well. You'll definitely get feedback in return.

17. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Sent promo codes directly to Nullzone and blebhertz via PM.

As promised, here's a batch more:
    XJE6RKYE4PRY
    FET7TYE9FR67
    PWALTHNXLT6A
    W33H3J4F9XNT
    PE7K94HEPXN4

I'm in the process of getting an iPad Pro (mainly for Card Shark Collection). WTC was developed long before iPad Pro existed, and while it should present fine (no black bars, etc), art assets don't exist at resolutions that would take full advantage of iPad Pro resolution.

18. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Thanks a lot, very much appreciated!
    Should have time to check later today and report back how it looks and plays on a Pro.

19. hedgey

hedgey Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    PE7K94HEPXN4 Taken

Thank you. I'll post my impressions after playing. I look forward to trying.

20. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    First bit of feedback

First of all, thanks again for the promocode!

Now, here we go:
    Yes, it works perfectly fine on the Pro, no black bars or anything. The UI and non-unit graphics look really good too.
    But the pixely units are ... well, too pixely. Matter of taste, I know (some folks even like this kinda stuff, I hear :D) , but not my cup of tea.
    This would be somewhat forgiveable (it's just about hitting my "too pixely" threshold), if
    a) the rest of the graphics wouldn't look so clean and crisp, making the pixelstuff stand out even more in sharp contrast.
    b) the camera wouldn't zoom in for moves/attacks, showing the pixel figures in all their "glory".

Other than that, after playing two scenarios, my first impression is that this could be a good game.
    However, it clearly shows its age as things I expect are missing. Such as:
    1) No "undo move", no "replay last turn", no "restart mission" options.
    2) Doubletap instead of singletap to attack.
    3) I had "no move confirmation" here, but just found the option to turn that on in the menu ;) But I didn't expect it to be there, to be honest.
    4) No "next/previous unit" button(s). Not that you need them early on when you only have 4 units. But I expect that my army gets larger, and once I am past 10 units or so, I really like to have that.
    5) "Guard" (basically "end turn for this unit") and "delay" (till I moved all other units) are missing as well.

On top of that, the constant camera zoom in/out when moving/attacking is extremely annoying and, much worse, made me a bit dizzy after like only 5 minutes or so (played first two missions). In addition, I settled for playing on max zoom out after under a minute, and after every move/attack I need to zoom back out again.
    Then, I always see the Gamecenter icon at the top middle of the screen. Distracting, shouldn't be there.
    Why does the "End Turn" confirmation button slide out to the right after you hit "end turn"? While this shouldn't be a problem on smaller devices, on something as big as the Pro it's annoying: I either need to stretch my hand or move it to reach the button after sliding out. As I have RSI, any unneeded movement/action is extra bad in my book. And I have large hands and long fingers, put next to each other vertically, they cover almost 2/3 of the screen in landscape position. For people with smaller hands I imagine this to be even more annoying.

Given the age of the game, I do not expect that you update it anymore. But I do hope that you take the above feedback into account when/if you make another one.

I'll play a bit more later, mainly to check if the getting dizzy happens again.