What does Game Center mean for OpenFeint, Agon, Plus+, Scoreloop, etc.

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by MindJuice, Apr 8, 2010.

1. #1 MindJuice, Apr 8, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
    So the announcement of Game Center was somewhat of a surprise to me this morning. I figured Apple would just leave that area alone since it is already so crowded with competitors.

What does the future hold for these networks? Will they fold or will they evolve?

One option would be to embrace and extend Game Center. This could be a viable proposition. Use Game Center as a basis and then add more features that it is missing.

The other option is to try to maintain their independence and dominate based on features.

I expect that developers will soon start to integrate Game Center by default, and the other networks will begin to fade away unless they take some action.

Or perhaps Apple has a plan to provide ways for the existing networks to survive and just integrate under a common framework.

2. Ddyracer123

Ddyracer123 Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    To me it means plus+ and them all need to put random matchmaking in :D

3. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

When Apple does something, they mean business. I expect Game Center to absorb and/or eliminate the competing networks, and become the universal standard for new games by the end of the year.

OF and Plus+ may keep their servers running to support existing games that use their networks, but no new games will appear on them. Slowly developers will make the jump with their older catalog of titles, and the lights will be turned out at other social network server sites...

I'm stuck in the unfortunate position of having multiple new releases planned at the midpoint between now and Game Center's opening/release. Which means I have to support an existing service now, and migrate to GC later if I don't want to delay my releases into the fall :eek:

4. Mag

Mag Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    http://twitter.com/SlideToPlay/status/11836342382

Now my English isnt that good, but I gues this means they will force developers to use Game Center instead of OF, Plus+, etc. Quite simple for them aswell, simply dont approve apps which dont.
    For the gamers out there this is ofcourse awesome; finally ONE gaming network instead of 20 (or, well, 4 big ones I gues). But it's sad how to decide to simply kill OpenFeint and Agon and the likes

5. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    This is what we all wanted isn't it? In a funny way, I bet there are even OpenFeint and Plus+ employees who feel at least a little relieved that Apple has finally unified it together.

As for their business models? Well OpenFeint is a big brand. I think there could be potential for them to retain relevant by becoming something else, something different… like an App recommendation service, or a great social feature, or something else entirely.

Can't you release it minus social features with the promise to add in Game Center when it's available? I think that's what I'd do. Or delay until Game Center's launch and endure to be the absolutely *first* out of the gate to support the service == big promotion among tech sites! ;)

Does anyone know if it costs developers to use Game Center, maybe a monthly fee or anything? Or is it provided by Apple completely free?

6. bcarbone

bcarbone Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2010
    iPhone Developer
    Estero, FL
    It wouldn't cost anything. It's just a framework built into iPhone OS 4.

7. Pamx

Pamx Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    UK
    I'm going to go out on a limb here & guess that Apple won't be completely re-inventing the wheel but partnering somehow with Ngmoco or OpenFeint. My money's on Ngmoco right now. :)

8. Mr Jack

Mr Jack Well-Known Member

From our point of view this is good news. A single unified platform just makes more sense. It's a pity for OpenFeint - they put together a cracking product and offered it to us Devs free of charge - but I can't see any real way they can compete with an Apple endorsed platform.

The big question from my point of view is migration, will I be able to merge the existing leaderboards from Alien Swing into the new Apple platform? Can we run both parallel for a while so we can transfer player's Achievements onto the new network?

The other pertinent questions are how the integration works, and what the restrictions on use are.

9. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    I think OpenFeint will become like the windows of PC. Sure, it will more endorsed, but it will have the same features that Gamecenter will offer, for cheaper. They will essentially be equal, but I feel openfeint just sticking around..unless apple legally doesnt let them :(

10. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    this would be the main concern.. will apple ban OF? Agon? and force developers to use game center? what about developers who do custom solutions (like us); where we submit a high score to our website directly.. lets see where apples goes with this one. they could just say "it competes with our offering"

11. The prez 12521

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    exactly. In a certain aspect, it sounds pretty good. Then you see the blood sweat and tears and think...And the sad part is that Apple can ban these services...not sure if they will, but its a dictatorship. Think of it, apple not allowing flash or creative choice...damn :(

12. For me Apple is becoming something like Google in web - all services provided by creators them selfs

13. The prez 12521

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    exactly...but its like apple is taking the backwards approach..or the forwards approach with google going backwards?

as in

the two are very successful, but through different means.
    Apple started by making computers and then newtons, ipods, iphones, ipads, then web services like Gamecenter and stuff like iAd

Google started with a search engine. then more web services like email. then more, and more, and more!!! Now google is going into hardware, like phones and computers.

ironic, wonder who will win xD

14. Mag

Mag Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    They will ban it. See post #4 this topic.

15. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Software architect, game dev and book author
    xor eax, eax
    No worries (source: gizmodo liveblog):

16. Pamx

Pamx Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    UK
    I'm really not convinced that there will be major upheaval to the point that many of us fear. Part of my reason for saying so is a belief that yes, Apple wants to control their world but cost is important to them & they'd probably rather not start from scratch. This today re iAds - Apple tried to buy Admob but lost out to Google so bought Quattro instead.

HERE

Presumably, Apple could have just developed their own in-app advertising product. But I'm guessing that Apple would always rather buy one of the big players than go back to the drawing board. I've guessed that it'll be Ngmoco just because there's an obvious, close relationship. I'm hoping it'll be OpenFeint because Ground Effect already uses it.

Just my thoughts - I'm sure we'll all be anxiously awaiting news.

:)

17. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Software architect, game dev and book author
    xor eax, eax
    @Pamx: you should check the link from my previous post. Your questions have been already answered...
    Quote:

18. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    No they wont ban other networks. That tweet was misleading.

Arn

19. Pamx

Pamx Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    UK
    #19 Pamx, Apr 9, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
    @Carlos If you wanted to make that specific point, it might have been helpful to highlight it clearly at the time. If you just wanted to chime in your agreement, then obviously that's another matter. :)

20. That's good to hear. I think they may still have a lot of work in front of them now to remain relevant and retain developers.

If there is a way to use the unified login and still provide additional services, then that would be one possibility for them.

I am sure it will be a common topic at this week's 360 iDev conference!