Best iPad-Games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by iSwiss, Oct 9, 2010.

1. iSwiss

iSwiss Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    So I am totally new to the iPad word.

What are the best iPad-only games out there, or games that are on the iPhone too, but are 1000times better than on the iDevice

2. Thaurin

Thaurin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Depends on what you like, of course. But to me, these are pretty awesome:

• War of Eustrath, turn-based strategy
    • Battle for Wesnoth, turn-based strategy
    • Return to Mystery Island Deluxe Edition, point-and-click adventure (panorama view, Myst-style interface)
    • Monkey Island (both the first and second), point-and-click adventure

And so many more, but these two genres just seem to work really well on the iPad to me. There's stuff like N.O.V.A. for first-person shooting, and Scrabble With Friends for a good asynchronous Scrabble game. I'm sure I'm missing many games here.

3. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Welcome to the marvelous world of iPad... :p

I don't want drag you back too brutally to reality but the point is iPad gaming is highly dominated by compatible iPhone gaming. A good point is many iphone game are better on iPad because of the screen size, but not all.

First few exclusive (for now), and that worth the try in my opinion:
    • Knight Defense HD (Difficult but great mix of TD, action, strategy. The iPad only game to try... in my opinion)
    • Galcon Fusion (A lot better than Galcon Labs on iPhone)
    • Hedgewars (Worms clone with plenty options, better controls and better AI design)
    • Enchanted Forest (very good Brick Breaker with an uncommon approach and to play with Tilt controls)
    • Dracula the Path of the Dragon HD (There's an iphone version but only the HD has localized voices, plus few contents has been added, it's a very good adventure game in 3 parts)
    • Return to Mystery Island Deluxe Edition (Difficult Adventure game, only this iPad version has localized voices and texts, so if one supported language suit you better than English it worth it)
    • Multipong (Pong game with a well design single player game, quite surprising, but the best is certainly to allow multiplayer game around the iPad)
    • Splash Duel HD (original game mixing Brick Breaker/Pong or Air Hockey for a 1vs1 game, possibly against the AI. The two player game with one iPad is what makes the game shines. But the single player is quite good with a AI strength customization from 1 to 100 allowing adjust it to your own progression).
    • My Kingdom for the Princess (Good Time management game but with a new map for each level and more strategy)
    • Swipe Soccer HD (Not the perfect game but very interesting and original design for a soccer game)
    • Great Adventures (A charming curiosity, light Adventure game with a charming mood and a light but gently funny simulation aspect)
    • Modern Pong (Good Pong game with a good AI setup allowing different difficulty levels, different area and powerup, interesting for a relaxing casual play)
    • Shot Shot Shoot (An original 1vs action strategy games, seems very fun for multiplayer but I haven't tried, Single player is interesting but rude, I need play it more, but it's an interesting game to try)
    • War of Eustrath HD and Battle for Wesnoth (Two turn based strategy games already quoted in previous post)
    • Eden's Quest (Fairly good Puzzle Adventure game, good graphics and story with some mood, but puzzles of first chapters are too easy, and some puzzles of last chapters are... too hard, really it's not a joke)
    • World War Touch (Interesting Strategy game alas for now AI and controls need work, but could worth a try anyway or at least check when updates fix the problems)
    • Break Beat HD (Well I have read very good thing about it but didn't attempt play it yet, at least worth a check and there's a lite version)
    Some that works much better in iPad version:
    • Chop Chop Soccer HD
    • Doodle Sky HD
    Some where the HD brings a different gameplay, iphone version is good or very good, but HD is better:
    • Spirit HD (Allow have all the level in full screen, change for good the gameplay)
    • Tilt For Live HD (give more distance to the view and more space and opportunities for maneuvering, resulting in a more interesting gameplay)
    • Minigore HD (this iPad version has an exclusive touch control rather interesting, cool hectic casual game)
    • Osmos HD (The wider screen is just better suited to the gameplay)
    • Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor (the iphone game is very good but the larger screen is a cool plus, a rather pleasant addition to gameplay)
    • Underworlds (HD version brings a wider view much more pleasant and touch controls rather good)
    There are also some type of games that work better on iPad because of the bigger screen. A typical example are Adventure games with puzzles and hidden objects. Pure hidden objects aren't my cup of tea. But mixed with a story, some adventure and some puzzles, plus often hidden objects games that are more through usage of inventory or other stuff, this is a type of game I enjoy and those games are much more pleasant to play on an iPad. Here a little selection among many other, I haven't tried them all:
    • Vampire Saga: Pandora's Box HD
    • Mushroom Age HD
    • Laura Jones and the Gates of Good and Evil HD
    • Laura Jones and the Secret Legacy of Nikola Tesla HD
    • Mishap HD
    • And many more...

Some other game types working better for iPad:
    • All those with multiplayer around the ipad.
    • Board games, Strategy games giving a more comfortable wider view.
    • Brick Breakers even only doubled are just more pleasant to play on an iPad.
    • More...

4. chrisf82

chrisf82 Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    4th year med student
    Tulsa
    I was was going to put in my two cents when I saw the thread title, but the guy above gave probably the best response anyone has ever gotten on this site.

5. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    :eek: Well few reasons to add more:
    • I doubt I know everything, well I know I don't know all games. :)
    • Local multiplayer games with playing around the iPad is one of the strongest iPad feature and i never used it much so can't make a selection.
    • Board games is a type of game that could benefit of an iPad tuning to exploit significantly the bigger screen, and it's a category of games I haven't yet explore much.
    • Adventure games with some Hidden Objects are one of the stronger game type of the iPad, but there are so many I haven't try and there's certainly more very worthy to quote.
    • There are type of games i just don't like so clearly I can hardly make a selection for those.
    • I own some games in the both versions, iPhone and iPad, sometimes forced and sometimes on purpose. So I could compare HD and doubled. But as I never play on iphone there's ton of games I have only in HD version. That means I'm not the best positioned to make a selection of games with a better gameplay with the HD version than the iphone doubled version.

6. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Thank you for your very detailed post, I am thinking of trying this based on your recommendation...if there was a light I would hit it immediately.

7. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    I understand your post as a request for more details. I never tried the demo but there's one, perhaps it will give you the light you request?

8. influx-z

influx-z Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    If you liked Aerox, you should definitively have Mad O Ball 3D, which is an Universal App and will run great on the iPad at full res (1024x768) with no additional charge.

9. AnthonyL

AnthonyL Well-Known Member

Moon'd is exclusive to the ipad and out now, you may not actually enjoy it very much until my latest updates are out though

10. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    #10 Qordobo, Oct 17, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2010
    I haven't played (yet) Moon'd but to add more contribution to the thread:
    • Monster Feed HD : A great Action TD for now an iPad exclusivity. I strongly advise it. Take care that the action part is original and has been well developed around some good idea, but if it will be a great change from more standard TD, this action part change the TD pace and this is really an Action TD not a pure TD, even if many pure TD elements are one part of the core of the gameplay.
    • Journey of Fortune Dragon's Fire : It's another exclusivity for iPad and on sale today. I don't really advise it because I only tried it a little bit for now. But I quote it because it is on sale and people that like dice games (here it's a wheel) with some tactical elements and a light RPG mood (spells, Mana and Health management, and saving a princess), those could be interested. And if you can play in a single player mode, this game can be played with up to 4 players around the iPad.

11. gareth.jenkins

gareth.jenkins Active Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Founder and lead developer at Deckbound
    BIT.TRIP BEAT HD and Osmos HD are both stand out iPad titles - they both have iPhone versions but, oddly enough, I don't think of them as ports as they seem to fit the iPad interface so well.

I think Osmos originated on the iPad and was ported down, but BIT.TRIP originated on the Wii regardless of it's iOS lineage.

I'd love to see more iPad-native game mechanics/games (and coincidentally happen to be working on one) and fewer simple ports (though the excellent ones - like those above - are, of course, welcome).

12. Touchgamer3g

Touchgamer3g Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Any great new iPad games that are must haves?

13. tomheroes

tomheroes Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    I don't know if it is a must have, but if you have someone else to play with, the two player version of Fruit Ninja is alot of fun. An Ipad exclusive.

14. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Save $10 for Thursday, World of Goo is coming out.

15. Touchgamer3g

Touchgamer3g Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    I will definitely be getting World of Goo!

Does anyone know any other great games that should be on everyone's iPad?

16. Qordobo

Jun 11, 2010
    I doubt there is one answer to this, that's all the problem to answer this question.

For me there are games that should have been on my iPad with no discussion. But it won't be the same games than than those on another iPad of someone else.

So I wonder what difference you put in this question and a more general question like what are the best recent ipad games in your opinion?

I'll answer for you to this question, certainly a wrong answer. :) It's because without to really realize, you agree there's a general opinion that some games are absolute must have and if you don't really like them this doesn't matter because the general opinion tell you they are great, so they are great and they have to be on your ipad and it's just you who is wrong if you don't enjoy them.

But that's wrong, there's no universal truth in that matter, not to mention that too often games that will emerge as an absolute "must have" will stop be considered like that, one, two or five years later.

17. Howlingwolf

Howlingwolf Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Uk
    For me everyone should have Real Racing Hd on there iPad or they could just wait for number 2 that's coming next year :)

18. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    Its not out yet but Sim Tower renamed something else is coming out and it should be awesome. I loved the game on the pc way back in the 90's :cool:

19. Gotta throw our Sally hat in the ring here! Sally's Spa HD for iPad follows up one of the top iPhone games of last year. We've had great feedback so far and the reviews have been awesome. It's great how the larger screen of the iPad really improves the experience. And, a free update with a fun new game mode is coming out in the next week. We think you'll love it.

20. Smartbomb

Smartbomb Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Artist
    England
    BEST IPAD GAMES IMHO

Towermadness HD --- Stunning tower defence game with more to do than you'll probably ever get done, addresses the lack of maps and towers seen in other games of it's type.

Geometry Wars --- Hardcore dual stick shooter, utterly captivating visuals, silky smooth framerate and perfectly suited for both quick games and long sessions.

Spirit HD --- One of those rare games that does something different, makes use of the touch based controls flawlessly, very addictive chasing the highscores though so be warned ;)

PuzzleQuest HD --- Takes a lengthy RPG with an open ended nature and mixes it up with a great variant of the match 3 style games (bejeweled) there is now a sequel out, but don't miss out on the first which contains more content than even the psp version did when I had it on that system.

Carcassonne --- If there's one board game you should buy, it's this one, beautifully presented and the game itself is quite unusual to those whom are used to games like monopoly. Once you get your head round the rules, you'll be hooked. The solitaire mode is inspired.

Modern Combat 2:Black Pegasus --- Whilst the single player campaign is very well done, its the multiplayer that shines. Essentially a portable COD Modern Warfare fix for when you're away from your ps3/xbox. Up to 10 players, one of the best apple based multiplayer games I've played.

Pocket Legends --- A very lite diablo styled rpg, but played with loads of players around the world, great for a free game, and you can pay for extra levels if you really like it. Has a charm to it that's makes it a joy to boot up. Most players are very friendly too, and the style of play requires teamwork.

Pool Bar Online Hustle --- To be honest this one really surprised me, took a risk and picked it up because it had great reviews. It just feels right. Whilst the physical element of skill is gone, it still feels like your playing a real game. I just wish there were more players online as that's where the real fun lies. Having used palringo to chat with other users, it's nice to find a game where you can invite a buddy to play a few rounds and have a chat with them.

Minigore --- some people bemoan the simplicity of the game, I find it charming and flawlessly executed. It is simple, but for some reason whilst it lacks depth, it never seems to get dull. Another good arcade style score chaser. Like geometry wars this is also a dual stick shooter.

GTA Chinatown Wars --- the weirdest thing about this, isn't seeing a AAA console title playing on an iPad, rather just how big the iPad screen really is. Driving around in the streets of GTA is quite different to playing GTA on a console or psp. Everything looks bigger... Very weird, but of course, the reason to get this is the quality and fun. GTA has always been best at sandbox style gaming.

Infinity Blade --- I doubt I even need to mention it, but I just did, so there... Get it ^_^

AirCoaster XL --- ok, so not a game as such, but still as much fun as a game. Imagine a piece of software that allows you to build the most complex and twisted rollercoasters you could imagine, all kinds of features like tunnels, corkscrews, loops and jumps... A program that allowed you to ride those creations in full 3D in lots of environments, and a program that let you share these creations with the world and try other peoples creations. Well ok, I just wasted your time imagining it... It already exists. Go buy it, and get all kinds of angry at the developer for making something so addictive.

I Dig It HD --- A game where you mine deep into the ground for treasure, sell treasure, then upgrade digger to mine further. Can't really convey it's appeal with words, you just have to try it. A great game for casual players.

Solipskier --- the most intelligent gesture based control system I've seen in an iPad game since I played Osmos (also a must have) nothing too deep or fancy here, this is much like the brief but compulsive games such as canabalt. Draw a ski slope to guide the skier through a never ending onslaught of gates, tunnels, hazards and jumps.

Real Racing HD --- until RR2 is out, I'd say this is the best racing experience on any idevice.

Simcity Deluxe --- it's simcity, minus terrain, minus mouse and minus a bit of real estate as the maps are a bit smaller. Whilst it's user interface isn't the friendliest, the game itself is a never-ending treat and I was so glad to see it finally released on iPad. It suits iPad... A lot

OTHER APPS
    Ok, these aren't games, but I gotta mention them, and to people with a creative mind, this is still very much playing:

Korg iElectribe --- a software reproduction of a very expensive piece of hardware magic. Recreate all kinds of analogue drum beats and bleeps. An absolute joy to fiddle with and listen to. The other korg app takes this a step further, but is much more complicated.

iTracer HD --- a raytracing software that produces beautiful renders of 3D models in many different materials. The photos in the store don't really sell it's potential, this app is severely powerful and the results are breathtaking. Of course, this requires patience and creativity to get the most out of it.

Fluidity --- a free liquid simulating app that really needs to be seen. It's beautiful to watch. Also worth mentioning Uzu which does for particles what this app does for fluids. And Koi Pond if you're not a fan of abstract art ;)

Electrify --- like a mini ableton live. Surprisingly capable music producing software, very stylised and powerful.

Artrage --- a toy box of art materials, it is a bit laggy compared to desktop versions, but it's pretty much all there, and has a "bladder movement" over all other drawing/sketching apps. One of the greatest things I could have hoped to see on my iPad.