Testing app on device?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by WellSpentYouth, Mar 16, 2009.

1. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Here is my goal: to test my app on my device. Here is what I have done: paid the $99, and did a few things that don't makes sense on the site (private dev only part). What should I do? If anyone has a basic idea (devs only please), I would like that. Thank you!

2. InsertWittyName

InsertWittyName Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Follow the guide(s) on the portal.

They walk you through it step by step, screenshots and everything.

I think there's even a wizard style interface now.

3. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    I guess I am dumb :( I can't seem to get it right. I got it to read the device in xcode, but then I had an error.

4. HouseTreeRobot

HouseTreeRobot Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Living.
    UK
    What was the error?
    And have you searched the developer forums on the apple iphone developer site for a solution to fix that error?

5. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Basically, in my organizer (after I followed all of the prompted steps) a beta provision thing didn't appear and my beta provision that I dragged in (not showing in summary of device) has an error that says I don't have the correct udid, but I put the right one in. So basically what I have to do is: make a certificate, a provision, add my device, add an app id? Is that correct? I must have done something :[

6. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Update: Here is what I have now in my organizer, a warning that says "A signing identity matching this profile could not be found in your keychain". What does this mean and how can I fix it? Thank you!

7. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    if you want users to test it, change the game to a .zip file before that, get there UDID enter it in with that game and send it via e-mail to the corrct devices.

8. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    No, I am just trying to get it on my device.

9. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    ohh ok, well atleast I help u with ther Ad Hoc version lol

10. My experience has been that XCode is sometimes doesn't recognize the developer profile right away. The solution that I have found is sometimes to just quit and restart XCode.

11. yayaba

yayaba New Member

Mar 15, 2009
    The provisioning wizard worked for me. I was as clueless as you how to do it but as long as you follow all the steps it should work.

Are you sure you put the right serial numbers, made sure the right stuff was added to your Keychain using the Keychain Access program to verify? My setup basically matched the screenshots in the wizard.

12. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Was I supposed to put in something in keychain? It didn't say to.

13. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    It now says, "a valid provisioning profile is required for device iphone os... " What does that mean? I followed all the steps for a provisioning thing! This is harder than programming :mad:

14. arkanigon

arkanigon Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Just to be sure... did you launch the developer assistant in the program portal?

15. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

I don't know if the wizard changes things, but I had to add stuff to my keychain as outlined here: http://developer.apple.com/iphone/manage/certificates/team/howto.action Click 'Downloading and Installing Development Certificates'

Just FYI, I had a terrible experience with this process too. There are like a million steps to go through, and none of them really make that much sense. This is after paying Apple for the 'privilege' of installing my own application to my own device. For a company that trumpets user experience and ease of use above all else, they sure have a thing or two to learn.

16. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Yes thank you! Total barf.

I'll try that. Thanks everyone!

17. Ok, I haven't stepped through the wizard, but I think this is what you want:

You need to have a "Developer" (as opposed to "Ad Hoc" and "App Store, which are necessary for other things) provisioning profile to install the program on your iPod/iPhone.

Check the "Organizer" in XCode and find "Provisioning Profiles." Make sure that, whatever you called your developer profile, shows up there. You may need to drag to the Developer Profile to your device and make sure that it is install on your device. And you may want to restart XCode and your device once, just to make sure. I have had a problem of XCode not seeing any changes to my profiles until after I restarted it.

Next, in XCode, under the target for your project, you should probably be doing a "Debug" or "Release" build. Find "Edit Active Target <TargetName>" under the Project menu (I am assuming you only have one target). Find the "Build" tab and scroll down until you see "Code Signing Identity." Hopefully, there is something under that which says "Any iPhone OS Device" on the left and "iPhone Developer: <ProfileName>" on the right.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful. You are correct, though. This process is much more complex than it needed to be.

18. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

One other thing: if you get a particular error (and sorry, I can't remember the name), go to Build -> Clean All Targets or Run -> Clean All Targets (not sure what the name of the menu is either)

This will remove all the current build(s) and rebuild everything from scratch. I had one error pop-up repeatedly when trying to install my app on my device, and that was the solution. Of course, the error message did nothing to convey what the problem was :)

19. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Thanks everyone! I haven't got it yet, but I'll continue to try with the provided info. Thank you!

20. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Ok, now it says "failed with code sign error 1", or something like that. Does anyone have any experience with that? Thank you!