Questy

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Cosmic Badger, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Cosmic Badger

Cosmic Badger Well-Known Member

May 10, 2015
    Dublin
    #1 Cosmic Badger, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 13, 2017
    I've been working on a new title over the last few months. It's a text-adventure game curated by the internet. Each story starts off with a scenario and two choices. Each choice leads to a new scenario, leading the story to develop down different paths. People will be able to upload as many stories as they want with an up-vote system to moderate the best ones.

I've taken inspiration from Reins' choice-based system and games like A Dark Room. I always liked the idea of text adventure games, but wanted to remove the complexity of the decision making process (typing specific commands is a bit much for my liking).

The styling is going to change a lot! The left is how it currently looks, the right is the design I'll move towards when I finish off the editor.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

This is how the editor is looking at the moment. The styling still needs to go in, I'm getting the end-to-end logic working first

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    Based on the sample story title and the working title of the game I wonder if you're using time travel in the Doctor Who fashion. Meaning each story is about the same characters but can take place anywhere at any time and be about anything. Stories could be Sci-Fi, horror, romance or pretty much anything. Am I close?

3. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Keeping an eye on it.

4. Cosmic Badger

May 10, 2015
    Dublin
    You might be about the stories being from any genre, at least ;) The name isn't final so how/if the stories are linked is yet to be determined.

Right now I'm playing with different story concepts. Would love to get some feedback on whether these scripts are engaging or not. I'll be posting more of these as I go so keep an eye out for updates.

[​IMG]

5. Cosmic Badger

May 10, 2015
    Dublin
    Progress on the story editor

I've decided that content creation is not my centre of excellence so I'm going to suck it up and make a story editor so that users can submit their own quests. This was always the plan, just thought I'd get a minimal version released before progressing to this stage.

Here's what it looks like at the moment before applying any design/styling. Ugly, but it's working :) I'm also changing the title of the game (if I can figure out how to edit it in the thread)

[​IMG]

6. Cosmic Badger

May 10, 2015
    Dublin
    Editor and login

Today I've added a login screen and fixed up the story/scenario editor. It'll still look very different when it's finished but I was a little tired of looking at the ugly interface so I cleaned it up a bit.

Here's the scenario creation screen and story creation screen.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Cosmic Badger

May 10, 2015
    Dublin
    New mock-ups

Sometimes I get so buried in building the game logic, but I'm really itching to get back to my favourite part - the design and user experience. I mocked this one up in Photoshop and it's where I want to move towards from the current design. I was initially targeting a more casual audience so the original colour scheme was suited to it, but it makes more sense now to deviate away from it.

I'm always open to feedback and suggestions. If you don't like it then let me know :)

[​IMG]