How often is it necessary to upgrade one's iDevice to play the most-advanced games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by HarryWarden, Apr 7, 2014.

1. HarryWarden

HarryWarden Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Every other generation (iPad 3>iPad Air for example)? Every third generation?

2. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I usually do every 2 years. I don't have an iPad so I just go by my phone upgrades. But 2 years (for iPhone) seems to be the best number. iPads are very different, because the iPad 2 is just now becoming unsupported little by little

3. I agree with jcho, best is every 2 years. And be on the even cycles.

4. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Every year for me. I've upgraded from 4, 4s, 5, 5s... Next is 6. Already got a buyer waiting to get his hands on my ancient iPhone 5s.

5. I'll buy it for a buck. :p

6. DarkLo

DarkLo Member

Sep 10, 2013
    I've done every 2 so far (3GS, 4s, and 5s) but I hate being on the odd cycle. I may bite the bullet and get an iPhone 6, especially if we have a bigger screen this year. I'll prob get the new iPad too so it will be an expensive fall for me.

7. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I'm on the S cycles. Not sure if that's better or worse. They both have their pros and cons

Ehhh yeah being on the nonS cycle is better, because you can always get the new models when they come

8. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    I had an iPad 2 and iPhone 4 up until Christmas, when I replaced them with an iPhone 5S and an iPad Air. I think there were a couple of games that wouldn't work on the iPhone 4 but everything worked on the iPad 2 but not always perfectly.

If possible, I hope to skip the next two upgrades for both the iPad and iPhone this time too (so I'll get the iPhone 7 if they still stick with the same naming convention and the equivalent iPad), I will have to see if they are still supporting the lastest games at that time.

And then of course after spending hundreds on upgrading, most of my time will be spent playing games like Kairosoft ones that would probably work on a 3GS. Oh well.

9. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    I've upgraded every iPhone, but skipped a few iPads.

Based on what I've seen, you're safe going every 2 years in the world of iPhones. The 4S is still a powerful device. It's lifespan has perhaps been artificially extended by the use of A5 class chips in so many iPads. It's still a great phone. In fact, I'd probably rather own a 4S today than any Android phone available.

Now if we limit the discussion to just gaming, the fact is that the iPhone 5 and iPhone 5S already dramatically out-perform any iPad, due to the significantly smaller resolution screens. Because game makers tend to optimize for the weakest common device - the iPad - the iPhones basically get great performance for free. We won't see games that really obsolete existing iPhone hardware until 1 of 2 things happens: either the iPhone gets a significantly higher resolution screen, or the iPad goes back to getting higher performance parts. Either could happen...

10. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    I'm still using an iPhone 4s and and iPad 3 and I've yet to find a game that doesn't perform well on either of them - though there are a few that run in a lower resolution on my iPad than they do on later models.

Every three years should be fine - though every two years is great if you can afford it.

11. oldsnake

oldsnake Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Male
    Impiegato
    Bologna italy
    For me it's every 2 years,I buy the iPhone 4,then iPhone 5,cause I can't resist when they're out,sometime I think:no,wait,and buy an iPhone 5s,but it's more strong then me..for an iPad every 2 years the same,if you can afford,then you have the most advanced games all the time..

12. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree on the 2 yearlu upgrade schedule, but a bit confused. I have come to the conclusion that the S version of the iPhone is the one to get. 3GS, 4S, 5S...

How about for the iPads? My iPad 2 has been supported for so long, so ideally should it be iPad 2, New iPad (iPad 4), then this year's iPad 6/iPad Air 2?

13. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    "The New iPad" was the iPad 3. The iPad 4 was sold as "iPad with Retina Display".

Really though wait for the games that you can't play to come out before you decide to upgrade - unless there's some killer feature (like Retina display) that you want.

14. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011

I would have to say I am with the people saying every 2 years. I am on the even cycles of phones and have an iPad air also.

15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I've got an iPhone 4S (which are cheap now on ebay). Runs every game fine. No need for me to upgrade to a 5 or above