How does a Government Shutdown?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by OnlyJoe, Oct 1, 2013.

1. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24342521

2. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Five words...

Jon. Stewart's. Rockin'. Shutdown. Eve.

DBC

3. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    You all sound like this is the fault of the Republicans as a whole when in fact it's just a small group of radicals within the Republican party. It's just pointing fingers to make yourselves feel good. The majority of Republicans disagree with Ted Cruz and have repeatedly asked him to step down and stop this fiasco.

I myself have no opinion whether I like the Republicans or Democrats, just before you try to flame me for the above^^. It's just that both have recently become unprofessional. It's unlike Republicans to crap on each other in public as they usually do it behind closed doors, but Democrats have a history of doing so.

I feel pretty bad for the "un-essential" federal workers that live paycheck to paycheck. It's completely unfair.

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Politics have been unprofessional in the west for a while now, they just seem to redefine the word by pretending everything they do is normal. Mind you, it's probably because it's so boring. They're trying to turn it into football or something.

5. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    It's the "Tea Party" Republicans from 2010 and '12. That's why the GOP is at an impasse right now - do they stick to the more moderate, middle-right line and alienate the libertarian-uber conservative populous, or abide by their constituents' wishes (many, if not most of these people got elected on a repeal Obamacare platform) and try to bring the healthcare law down in flames?

Thing is, the law's not popular here, but neither is the way in which it's being attacked. Hopefully the Dems will blink first, but I don't see that happening - they're scoring too many political points and getting some nasty jabs in during this whole debacle.

Then there's the whole mess with the national debt. The wastefulness on display there in nearly every possibly way is incredible.

Terms limits, term limits, term limits. Nothing changes if we keep electing these same career fools for 50 years. Congress has a 10% approval rating.

6. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    #26 bigrand1, Oct 2, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
    The Republicans (pushed by white, right wing ultra-conservative Christian anarchist Tea Party assholes) want to shut down the government because they don't wanna see needy Americans get affordable health coverage. Unbelievable, huh?
    The underlying truth to the matter is that that it's all about denying President Obama's legacy as having helped solve our dysfunctional health care problem we've had for years. That's the bottom line.
    Actually, the law must be popular here, as this argument has already been decided when Obama was re-elected. Romney lost, and all that rhetoric died there. Or it should have....... :D

7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I can see the headline now: BLACK MAN SAVES WHITE LIVES. WHITES FURIOUS.

8. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    #28 Drummerboycroy, Oct 2, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
    I. LOVE. You.

DBC

Edit: P.S. It's TOTALLY not about race. Sheesh.