Free games that are too generous, what should a developer do?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Bronxsta, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

I'm posting this as both a discussion and a brainstorming thing to help out the 1Path developer. It seems like the game is the kind that's free but so generous that IAP is necessary, just like how Bug Heroes 2 and Punch Quest were

So what do you think a dev should do? In the thread, I suggested:
    - Add a doubler
    - Add a premium IAP for access to future content
    - Make the game paid

Any other ideas?

2. SherlockEB

SherlockEB Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013
    #2 SherlockEB, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
    Make the game less generous, add a doubler
    And make it paid or add an iap for next levels
    Or add premium currency, let people be able to earn it by playing but make it slow and make sure access to cool stuff is through premium currency
    It's sad that should be done. But that's the market.

3. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    I always prefer the coin doubler, or removal of ads as support. I hate consumables.

Or, what Survival by Trial did, where you get a package that removes ads, give you a dog that helps you out and a few starter weapons for $4. An excellent way to support the game and the base version can be a good trial run to see if you like the game.

Other ideas:

- If it's an RPG with random loot, a paid IAP can add an extra loot table for a chance at super-rare awesome items

- Extra characters like what Warhammer Quest does (I know it's not a low priced game but still)

4. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Add a doubler? I pretty much completed it (174/180 stars) and didn't use a single power up, so wouldn't be interested in a doubler.

I've never gone for the whole consumable power up approach (a.k.a. pay to cheat) so the only thing that would interest me would be additional paid levels.

5. Astarea

Astarea New Member

Mar 6, 2014
    Game Designer
    Brazil
    Instead of making them slowly build premium currency, you can also let them watch a video instead of paying for recurring items/services.

6. Zentatsu

Zentatsu Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Philippines
    A trial levels is a good idea, like 10-20 free levels then add advertisements. Pay to unlock the rest and all the upcoming levels via update and removes advertisements. For a puzzle game, pay for another set of level isn't that appealing anymore in my opinion though it is really the dev to decide.

DLC is much acceptable rather than consumable items for gamers, like instead of having a currency in game why not add 6 power-ups and 2 to choose from in each levels(3 for premium users).

Note: this is just my opinion for puzzle games in general, I haven't try your game yet but It is in my watch list right now.. Pretty busy atm. :)

7. SherlockEB

SherlockEB Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013
    Or let them see an add. Yeah it's doable but you've got to have plenty of people who plays the game.

8. Topherunhinged

Topherunhinged Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    Exactly. Make a paid add-on.

9. vbnn2

vbnn2 Active Member

Thanks Bronxsta for making this topic, recently i'm considering about some choice, you guy can help me choose :)
    - Add 20-30 level with new feature (the boss and the virus, and maybe something like cactus) and make it paid version or ads + remove ads
    - Add more 60 level with 1$ to unlock (you guy finish the first 60 very quick, maybe i make it harder)

@Bronxsta: i would like to invite you to be an tester when new version coming.