Best on-rails shooter on iOS?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by awp69, Dec 1, 2010.

1. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I'm probably one of the few people that actually liked Rage, except for its short length. But it made me want to get another on-rails shooter for my iPod Touch.

I've been considering Doom Resurrection, but it's currently $6.99 and seems to go on sale fairly often so I'm gonna wait on that one. I've also played Time Crisis.

Are there any other good on-rails shooters on the iOS? As reference, I loved House of the Dead: Overkill on Wii.

2. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Zombie Crisis 3D and Doom Resurrection are definitely the best for me. Zombie Crisis for the arcade style, straight up action and Doom Res for a more complete package, more along the lines of games like the Resident Evil Chronicles games on the Wii, while Zombie Crisis feels more like House of the Dead.

I haven't played the second one yet, but I can also recommend Time Crisis Strike to any fan of the series. It's certainly not the same as using a light gun to take down virtual enemies, but it's still plenty of fun for a portable rail shooter.

3. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Rage, Period!

4. Seishu

Seishu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Student
    us of a
    I will second Doom Resurrection and Zombie Crisis. Both are fun rail shooters.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I like on-rail shooters, too -- sunk many quarters into HoD 1 and 2. Doom Resurrection is good, and quite a bit longer than Rage. The closest thing to House of the Dead on iOS is Zombie Crisis, which is by no means perfect, but definitely fun.

6. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Doom resurrection!

7. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Thanks for the feedback. Played the lite version of Zombie Crisis. It's fun, but think I've been spoiled by Rage. Still might pick it up while it's $.99 and will look out for a sale on Doom Resurrection.

8. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

Rage is essential a redo of Doom in a different setting, so you should be happy with Doom for $6.99. It's quite a bit longer too.

9. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Time Crisis 2Nd Strike

Time Crisis 2ND Strike! Best Rail shooter on the app store. I played Time Crisis 4 at the arcade for the first time yesterday and Time Crisis 2nd Strike is the best port to the idevices. I know the $7 dollar price tag is a turn off to many. But the gameplay is awesome and much better than the first one. Controls are great. :D

Anyone know of any similar rail shooters that are on the app store like this? Any new and upcoming rail shooter games on the horizon?

10. Jack111

Jack111 Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Holland
    I like Operation Wow a lot

11. b00mers

b00mers Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2010
    whiterun
    what about n.y. zombies?

12. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    #12 Dirty Harry Hannahan, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
    for me that game wasn't any fun. It's not a rail shooter.

13. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth

I'm going to check that one out.

Silent Scope doesn't get th credit it deserves. If you can get past the laggy controls then the game can be damn fun. I'd love to see more Silent Scope type games. :D

14. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Really found Red Gun boring, and didn't like the multiple shot mechanic so much.

My top three would probably be Doom: Res, Rage HD and Zombie Crisis 3D.

15. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I don't like Time Crisis 2nd Strike at all because it just doesn't give you enough time! The time you get is too short! Very frustrating. If they changed that, I'd like it a lot. I'd say it's a bit expensive too, but not a deal-breaker to me. I agree Zombie Crisis is a really good one, though.

16. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth

You just need to figure out what weapons to use in whatever order to save time. It is challenging and frustrating but it can be beat. I'd like an update for unlimited play or something where you can just shoot everything without the clock counting down.

17. joecarr

joecarr Active Member

Mar 29, 2011
    But then there would no time-related crisis...:rolleyes:

18. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth

Can't argue with that logic. :eek:

That being said....Namco could tweak the timing a little to make a little less frustrating.

19. daniller

daniller Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    3 best with no doubt:
    Rage
    Doom Resurrection
    Zombie Crisis

20. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    There must be a ton of nee on rail shooters that I'm missing. Saw the Major Mayhem thread today and it reminded me how good that game was.
    Played/playing Mad Bullets as well...
    Any other good on rail shooters to recommend?
    I'm feeling the itch..