Adventure games for the ipad?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Ziggan, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Ziggan

Ziggan New Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Hi, new guy here. I just got an ipad 3 and am looking for some decent adventure games. Searching for these is tough because people seem to use 'adventure game' rather broadly. I've seen some sites including action games like assassins creed in this category.

By adventure games, I mean games similar to the classic point-and-click adventure games like monkey island, maniac mansion, zac mckracken, etc. If it's something that was popular on PC I've probably already played it (i.e. machinarium, broken sword, etc.)

I'm especially interested in ones that have a sci-fi theme, e.g. Gemini Rue, but really anything with an entertaining story and clever puzzles is fine. Strong voice acting is a plus.

Any good stuff out there that you guys could recommend?

Thanks!

2. ip4weather

ip4weather Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
  3. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    I wouldn't mind seeing a list of point & click adventure titles, myself.

I've only played one on my iPad, City of Secrets HD, and I really enjoyed it.

4. Ziggan

Ziggan New Member

Jan 2, 2013
    #4 Ziggan, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
    Wow Bigfish games have a ton! Can anyone comment to the quality of the bigfish games? I'm a little wary since their catalog is so large. Someone like Wadjet Eye who produce quality adventure games for PC have only a handful of games compared to this.

Thanks for the link, that's a pretty impressive list. However I think the type of games I'm looking for are classified as 'third-person' on that list and there are only two. BNSS I've played on PC but Gobliiins is a new one, will have to check that out when I get home.

EDIT: Just came across Yesterday...Never played this one on PC and it looks like a winner! Will definitely be giving this one a go.

5. farley2k

farley2k Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Big fish games are never terrible but very few are great. I would say they are a firm "B" product company. I think all there stuff is free to try so go for it!

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    The 3 "Drawn" titles by Big Fish are great.

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

I think you mean stuff like:

Hollywood Monsters
    Hector - Badge of Carnage
    Ghost Trick (!)
    Captain Brawe
    Scarlet and the Spark of Life
    All Fridges Are Psychotic
    or
    The Great Fusion
    and
    Gobliiins, Gobliins, Goblins

8. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Type in 'Telltale Games' and they'll surely have what you are looking for.

9. Ziggan

Ziggan New Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Thanks everyone, lots of great suggestions! I'll have plenty to keep me busy :D

10. Duss321

Duss321 Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    City of secrets
    Hector badge of carnage
    Reversion - the escape
    Yesterday
    Sam and max
    Wallace and grommit
    All fridges are psychotic
    Ghost trick

Big fish games doent make the point and click games you like, they make hidden objects games. Which is not the same like zak mckracken, the dig, day of the tentacle, full throttle etc. Telltale has some good adventure games although some like jurassic park are based on quick time events.

And if you haven't played them already back in the day:
    Broken sword 1 and 2
    Monkey island 1 and 2
    Simon the sorcerer 1 and 2
    Inheret the earth
    Beneath a steel sky
    Gobliiins 1 and 2 ( and 3?)
    And some others

Also if you have a jailbroken device download scummvm and the copy amd paste the cd files from your old point and click games to your idevice to play them on the go!

Hope this helps a bit and if i think of some more old school point and click type of games i'll let you know!

11. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I know it's more of an evolution of the genre than classic point and click, but The Walking Dead hasn't been mentioned nearly enough in here. If you want story and voice acting, you'll get it from that.

12. Duss321

Jan 26, 2011
    I agree, one of the best ipad games i've played this year. And sam & max and back to the future arent so bad either.

13. Ziggan

Ziggan New Member

Jan 2, 2013
    Thanks! I was wondering that about the Big Fish games. The screenshots were making me a little wary. I figured I'd just try the demos after work, but your post confirms what I was thinking. Fun games I'm sure, just not exactly what I'm looking for.

Great list, quite a few on there I haven't come across. I think I''m sold on all fridges are psychotic based on the name alone. Yesterday looks like a great noir type mystery which is one of my favorite genre so that one is another no brainer. I'll have to check out the rest on your list and those posted by others when I get home. Thanks again!

14. Duss321

Jan 26, 2011
    Yep big fish games is not really a point and click game. But most people who don't know or grew up with the old ones think they are, simply because you point and click to complete the game i guess. And again, theyre not bad games, just not my cup of tea.

Yesterday is a great game, same goes for city of secrets and hector. All 3 where above my expactations.

Yesterday has a great film noir type story with good puzzle and plot twists.
    City of secrets blew me away at first with its graphics and design, and was suprisingly fun to play.
    Hector is pretty funny and has some good puzzles
    All fridges are psychotic is a great game with unconventional graphics and some puzzles which are pretty difficult!

All fridges are psychotic is a great and fun game, weird funny graphics. And it reminds me a bit of maniac mansion. Anyways like you i'm a fan of those good ol' classics. So i keep my eye open for point and click games. While secretly wishing for full throttle to pop up in the app store. (i can play it on ipad due to scummvm, but an official app would be sweet).

Also as mentioned above the walking dead.
    Which is not so great at puzzles since there all pretty easy. But the story is very good and non player characters you encounter will remember what you say and do. And that will affect the story. So there are diffirent outcomes available and personelly i got really attached to some of the characters.

15. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

City of Secrets 2 is coming very soon too, so now's a good time to play the first part ;)

16. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

The Journey Down was pretty neat too but it's just episode one of the saga so far...

17. paul.hendricks

paul.hendricks Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
  18. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Just for clarification, there's a reason I didn't mention anything other than the "Drawn" series from Big Fish. These are different and more towards the traditional point and click games...just more "puzzle"-centric. There's nothing hidden object-y about them.

19. TimmyB

TimmyB Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Just wanted to say, thank you for this thread. It is great having a list of adventure games to try out for the iPad.

20. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Any good choices for iPod? Have all the telltale ones but want some new choices and I didn't like lume so that one is off.