Banner ads during gameplay?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by derpderp, Apr 21, 2013.

1. derpderp

derpderp Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    What's everyone's feeling on banner ads during gameplay, I'm thinking of releasing a free version of a racing game I am working on.

The banner will be shown at the top of the screen in an unused area that just shows the sky, it doesn't impede the view.

If I was to release the free version with no gameplay ads I would release it with 60% of the tracks, if I release it with in play banner ads I would release it with all of tracks available and a few modes missing (Reverse Tracks, Career Mode, Game centre leader boards, etc)

What's people opinion of in gameplay ads if it means you get more content?

Thanks

2. Kotovsky

Kotovsky Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    That's disgusting.

I never pay for anything in f2p game if it's ad-infested since dev already making money on me with ads. Play some GLU games to understand the annoyance of ads.

3. derpderp

Nov 17, 2011
    A little OTT don't you think? It's just ad's in a game, not starting a war.

I'll take the rest of your comment on board.

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    That's ridiculous. He doesn't even appear to be talking about a free-to-play model in the usual sense of the term. Just an ad-supported free game. See Blendoku.

A free app with ads is a fair deal. If I like a game I'll gladly pay to remove ads and unlock whatever remains of the content. Just make sure it doesn't cause any performance issues or get in the way of any buttons and you'll be good to go. It's games with this payment model that are filling the top charts at the moment.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    ^Winner of the most over the top post!

Free with ads is fine. Pay 99c or so to unlock it to get the full version without ads. That's very common

6. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    I won't play a game with ads during gameplay unless it's a lite version and I want to try before I buy. If there is a non-ad-supported paid version available or an IAP to remove ads, I see no problem with it.

7. derpderp

Nov 17, 2011
    Just to make it clear, this will be a lite version, either with an option via IAP to remove ads and unlock the full content or have a separate paid full non ads version available to download.

8. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    I don't mind banner ads in lite versions . When is the game coming out?

9. derpderp

Nov 17, 2011
    Its a good few months away yet, working on polishing the controls and look of the game right now.

10. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Banner ads are the worst kind. Ever present, don't match the gui, and, on a 3.5 screen (4, 4S, and earlier) it's too large and disruptive. What might look passable when tested on an ipad or maybe even an iphone 5 is not worth a free download on an older (and more common) device.

11. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    I don't pay to remove ads. I've seen them added to games I've payed for. I WILL try a lite version w/ads, though I prefer it to be a demo WITHOUT ads. Either way, I don't buy unless there is a seperate app sold with all content and no ads. I only buy expansion iap.

Though I probably won't be too impressed with the lite version (which I consider a demo) if I'm staring at an ugly ass banner on a 3.5 inch screen.

12. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    No, just no.

Banner ads or any ad that is not coded and delivered by the developer himself but instead by an ad network is a potential vector for intrusion into a computer system.

Even the iDevices might be susceptible to such malware attacks as it had been revealed that jailbreaks thru websites were possible and once jailbroken, your device is basically open to a third party...

13. NeilN

NeilN Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2012
    You realize that the vast majority of the websites you visit have ads served by third party ad networks right? There may be valid reasons against banner ads. This isn't one of them.

14. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Bottom line: It works. Ignore everyone moaning in this thread. I don't like ads either, but if you want your best shot at success, just do it. You'll get more downloads. The vocal people in this thread do not represent your average App Store consumer.

15. Kotovsky

Kotovsky Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Sorry. I'm okay with ads in frontend but
    Ads during fast paced game will distract attention of player and leed to his fails.

Of cause you can do as you wish, time will sort out if this decision was right.

16. Smithey

Smithey Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    A lite version with ads during gameplay - yeeeeah, I can live with that no probs, unless the ads get in the way of gameplay. Like, the ad pops and I die or crash in the process. :(

17. mrbiggles

mrbiggles Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    what i buy and would like to see.

a light version with ads is ok. test the game see if its worth buying.

then separate full paid version, completely unlocked with no IAPS or ads.

only reason why is i never would buy a lite that has a IAP to buy the full version. in case something gets messed up and it resets to the lite version.

18. Boo! I will not play.

19. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I use Firefox with all the usual plugins to eliminate those risks. iOS is currently safer...

20. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    That's the funny thing though, isn't it? I was going to comment that I usually delete games with the "during gameplay" ads before playing more than a level or two, but what does it matter?

TA is a fun place to argue about games, but we represent what, like 0.0000000001% of the iOS gaming population?:rolleyes::p;):D

That said, even I have games with ads in them still on my phone, so I guess what it comes down to is this:

If your game is good, it won't matter what you do, and if your game sucks, well, it won't matter what you do.;)

DBC