Killer Edge (racing game)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Kartel, Apr 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kartel

Kartel Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    #1 Kartel, Apr 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2009
    [hqyoutube]a_Ywy2fQHJg[/hqyoutube]

2. Spiral75

Spiral75 Well-Known Member

nice looks fun! Is this a game that is still being worked on? Or has it been submitted?

3. Kartel

Kartel Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Yeah it looks fun! Nice sense of speed, bumping with other cars, inclines/ declines and wide roads. Wish racing games would have this much fun and then add the great graphics.

Supposedly coming in May.

4. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    Wow, terrible AI. If they release the game like that, there is something wrong. I know it was easy and everything, but you shouldnt hit first place in the first lap, not even see another car in the second, and then lap them all in the third.

5. dmbfan1192

dmbfan1192 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2009
    It could be an easy level or an extremely skilled dev. I mean come one, he made the game!

6. VideoMindGuy

VideoMindGuy Active Member

Developer Response

Hi,

I'm the developer of Killer Edge and will try to answer as many questions as possible.

Kartel - thanks for posting this up - I'll admit I was not ready for this as I only did the video yesterday morning as a test.

KE is still being worked upon, though I do want to release it asap.

**** Admission *****************
    Yes - the graphics could be a lot better

However if you can get past this aspect then you might find a good fun driving game with cars that are modelled with a full physics engine, and which some may find tricky or challenging to drive. All the tracks are inspired by real life circuits, so quite a lot of time has gone into their design.

Rocketman919 made a good point about the AI in the video, however that is in Easy mode - also the cars need a bit of expertise to steer.

Currently I am thinking about adding touch control back in, after previously taking it out in favour of the tilt contol. Any thoughts?

Basically this is my first iPhone game and it is a port of a game that my company did for Broadcom, nVidia and Motorola - all showcased it at Mobile World Congress in different years. What you see so far has taken about 8 weeks.

I started doing this project because I wanted to learn iPhone development and I had a little spare time on my hands, and because I was a little disappointed by some of the driving games I had seen, particularly with the number of cars, and the car to car bumping/battling. In this aspect KE is not bad.

It will never compete with NFS or Firemint in terms of looks - I wanted to update the graphics, but I could not afford to do this.

If it gets approval and comes out I want to make it as affordable as possible.

7. YungAssassin_BHB

YungAssassin_BHB Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2009
    the backgrounds are 3-D
    wth is wrong with the cars

8. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Both tilt and touch - trust me!

BTW what are you aiming for wrt the graphics?

9. VideoMindGuy

Ok - will put touch back in

The graphic style is meant to be that of an arcade racer, though at present the poly count is not high enough, particularly with the cars. Also they need more colour/variety

10. VideoMindGuy

Cars are 3d, but just not enough polys at present - would love to smooth over and add more detail

11. touch32g

touch32g Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Do u see any change of online multiplayer

12. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    Your game has a good retro feel.. goodluck with it.

13. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    Nice to see the dev is now active in the forums...i could easily get over the graphics deficiencies if the gameplay is fun and engaging. Thus, i'm actually pretty excited for this title, looks like it's got some good potential

14. VideoMindGuy

Multiplayer

If the first release is received well, then I would definitely think about doing a makeover. Gfx + multiplayer would be nice

15. VideoMindGuy

Cheers, thanks for this

16. VideoMindGuy

Thanks - I hope the game can live up to your expectations

17. nuggetsman28

nuggetsman28 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    charlotte
    looks good but graphics could use some work.

18. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    I'm having N64oria. Though I don't even have one...

19. Spiral75

Spiral75 Well-Known Member

I think touch controls would be great. I always prefer touch ctrls so i dont look like an idiot at work steering my phone :p

20. oliath

oliath Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    Ok

Firstly.... yes the graphics look a bit basic, but the actual gameplay looked VERY smooth.

Assuming that this is an independent dev and not a big company then i am very impressed.

I would much rather a game had GOOD playability over shiny graphics any day. I would prefer someone to spend time making sure all the mechanics are in place and the game runs well as opposed to throwing all this away just for a higher poly count or more detailed textures.

I think that the actual engine this is runing on looks very smooth and the controls seem very easy to use. Frame rate seems excellent too.

You have to remember that not everyone has the time / resources to push out graphically superior games... but this doesn't mean that they aren't good games worthy of recognition.

One of the things that currently makes the idevices such a fantastic platform for gaming at the moment is that they are encouraging some very talented young people to the platform. The appstore's low overhead costs are giving everyone an opportunity to show the world what they can do.

I really do worry when i see people criticise the easyest thing to pick out like this while ignoring all the other positive points... but then again they are usually those that have absolutely zero idea or experience in what it takes to produce even the most basic applicaiton.... and i worry that eventually the appstore is going to go the way of every other gaming platform because all people think is important in a game is the graphics and all we will be left with is companies like EA pushing out shallow games that are horrible to play.... but look really pretty.