RPG games nowadays..

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Greatgoat, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Greatgoat

Greatgoat Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    I used to play RPG games like FF7, 8, 9 and my favorite RPG is Suikoden, the storyline, the gameply, the mini game esp. the cooking game in suikoden II.. wow! i could play the whole game like 5 times and still be obsessed with it..

But now.. i couldnt play RPGs, seriously come on, look at the graphics, its beautiful, who woudnt wanna play games with graphic that looks "surreal" ...but still, to me...nope.. a waste of my money, couldnt even finish the game.. i got half way through the game only if im lucky.. after that.. nope..

im wondering what happen to me? is it that because im getting old? or getting tired n too stupid to play complicate RPGS..? i missed the old school RPGs.. and now here i am playing Ace Fishing... :) its nice...

2. HansKaosu

HansKaosu Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2013
    #2 HansKaosu, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    Your not alone. I played all those games and Suikoden is also my favorite console RPG.

I dunno if its an age thing but my attention span certainly have diminished after i hit 30 :p

Thankfully there are RPGs on iOS so i can wet my appetite when i feel like it.

But i seem to be playing more and more non-RPGs

and now that i have fully switched to ios gaming i play a lot of different type of games.

Even though RPGs are my favorite genre its a good thing to try different games.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    For me with so many apps at my disposal i dont want huge great complicated RPG's

Aralon/Ravensword/9th Dawn are great for me, offer a lot of depth but not overly complicated. All remind me of great RPG's from the past

4. HansKaosu

HansKaosu Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2013
    There is that to. so many games to play :D

5. asd1234

asd1234 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2014
    shin megami tensei (eng) is a great rpg for
    oldschool fans. big story +60h of gameplay
    you can also try it with gba4ios before buy it, but the room/s are only japan lang.

6. expleo

expleo Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Computer Guy
    Norway
    rpgs are so much.. i never got into those jrpgs too much.. for me it was eye of the beholder, wizardry 7, ultima series, might and magic, lands of lore.. but I understand and sympathise with you, we come from a different world even though our preferred rpgs are somwhat different.

ps: ultima as in black gate, serpent isle.. not that ultima crap they insulted us with some months ago.

7. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    modern day rpg's seem to be hit or miss for me. I'm totally with you on the psx rpg era being amazing, but there are still ones worth playing nowadays. One's that come to mind are Persona 3+4, Bravely Default, and Stick of Truth (not for everyone)

8. Larni

Larni Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Back in the day I campleted the Baldur's Gate games, FFVII, and Secret of Mana: all long winded RPGs. I completed Fallout 3 and Mass Effect but that took me over two years

I still love RPGs I just don't have the time for them these days.

9. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    My issue is I have no desire to play anything even remotely anime. So that knocks out a ton of RPGs. Seriously, I wish I could revisit the gold box D and D games.

10. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    I have to agree with the whole "the older I get the less time I want to spend playing any 1 game in particular". I do about 99% of my gaming on iOS nowadays. I have a PS3 with games like GTA 5, The Last of Us, The Stick of Truth, Borederlands 2,and many others that even if I have the time to play them it really feels like more of a chore than fun. It just feels like such a huge time commitment to play console games. And to think just a handful of years ago I was playing WOW almost exclusively and for many hours a day, every day. I think the most time I spent playing WOW in a 24 hour span was 16 hours. It makes me cringe to think about that lol.

11. Havelcek

Havelcek Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    Maybe its the change of life situations...when I was younger I loved to sink my teeth into a good RPG for weeks. Now that I have kids and whatnot I need smaller, bite-sized time chunks of accomplishments. I can't do "go kill 12 dweebles and take their foozles so you can repair each of the 12 sections of the troll bridge" anymore. I just don't have the patience.

12. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    For me, it's just the fact that games come on iOS too fast that i dont have time to play all of them, but somehow manage to acquire most of them, even after gimping myself off a budget. Not just RPGs, but iOS games in general.

I still get to finish one or 2 long games (usually about 10-15 hour RPGs or in any other genre), but yeah, i cant really finish all of them. I have lesser purchases since january, but still have no time to play all of my backlog. For the record though, i think i have finished a lot more games since the budget started happening.

13. Topherunhinged

Topherunhinged Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    As another 80's-90's player it's simply that RPG's aren't that good these days. So, I play more when they make more worth playing.

14. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    #14 bigred447uk, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    I'm 43 and have a partner but no kids so I find I can squeeze the odd bit of gaming in despite my advanced years.

Last time I put much time into a console game was Skyrim where I geeked out putting many hours into getting that dragonscale armour enchanted until I was so overpowered that I ruined the game in the end and lost interest. I always meant to go back and play the expansions but haven't found the time.

On IOS I played O&C Online MMORPG for about a year and half. In the end I gave up to save my sanity and my relationship. Its a great game if you can spare the time. Every so often I re download and check out my characters for nostalgia sake. Then I sigh and delete the game because it's a heavy time/life sink that I cannot afford to indulge in.

Now I buy all the ports of old games and new RPG the latest being FFVI, SMT, KOTOR, Alphadia Genesis, Coldfire Keep as notable. I've put 20 hours into KOTOR but haven't touched the rest.

I also enjoy rogue likes on IOS. I guess quick streamlined play and permadeath fit the quick play format this is most convenient these days. I have many rogue likes but I think Wazhack and Cavern I've enjoyed the most.

If I didn't have my awesome g/f to consider i would probably be a virtual recluse and would have finished all these games by now. I love gaming but real life is far more important and rewarding these days.

Edit : I can't finish this post without mentioning two more games I really enjoyed on IOS and played many hours :-

Kingturn - Awesome SRPG with impressive mechanics, great narrative and many many hours of gameplay. Has two sequels as well that are both awesome.

Mission Europa Collectors Edition - ancient (in IOS terms) FPS futuristic RPG again with many hours of gameplay and much loot and gear to play with.

So I guess I'm old but I still put quite a bit of time into RPG and I can't stop buying RPG and games of many other genre because they are too cheap not to buy even though my backlog is insane.

Edit 2 : sorry for rambling on! I've just thought a load more IOS RPG that I could go on about but then I saw the size of my post and they are all games you all know about anyway. Lol.

15. Join the club. I'm the same way

16. Larni

Larni Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2013
    Yup. Me, too. 40 years old with wife but no kids and it seems like I'm re living my late twenties, early thirties with KOTOR, BG enhanced and the like.

But the amount of long games I own but have yet to complete is massive.

17. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    Well considering how great the age of the RPG (Mid Snes era to late PS era) was you can't really expect much... We now live in the FPS/TD/Mine-craft era. :/ or something like that..

Alot of it is also because Square-Enix has turned to $?!?

Back then we had so many great games from all genres really, but I'd have to say RPGs were Probly some of the best When you include Action, Strategy J, Point and click and all that good stuff...

18. The golden era if gaming or I should I say golden eye :)

19. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Or was it the Perfect Dark era of gaming?!

20. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Its great though to have a quick go when the wife is watching some dross on TV, shes surprised as i say 'yeah go ahead and watch it' and then realises i said that so i can spend 30 minutes on my iphone playing an RPG !