Universal Romans In My Carpet! (by Witching Hour Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 27, 2014.

1. GoneFishin

GoneFishin Well-Known Member

May 16, 2011
    >Bottom line is, if you're gonna boycott games for requiring a constant Internet connection, then you're not gonna be playing many iOS games in the future I'm afraid.<

I would not be surprised if you prove to be correct, ScotDamn. Fortunately, I have enough games to amuse me for quite some time. When I eventually tire of them there will still be alternatives. For instance, a novel thing called a book... :) But it's all good. At my age I've long ago learned not to sweat the small stuff.

p.s.
    It's not a matter of crappy data plans. I don't always have access as my wife and I travel a great deal and never know where we will be (we're old, not dead.)

2. actionrpg8000

actionrpg8000 Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    The point is that not everyone may have constant access to the internet. My iPad is a wifi model, so I can play at home, but not at work. To be honest, I don't see many people complain about it with games like hearthstone, but many people, myself included, find it distasteful in a single player game.

3. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    I am OK with constant internet connection. Hearthstone has it and they are doing really well. :p

4. Wiarumas

Wiarumas Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2014
    If you played Ravenmark, this game will seem to be a stripped down and reskinned version. It keeps the core mechanics, but the game isn't as deep. If I had to guess, I would be willing to bet they are trying to expand their user base and make a more casual, more approachable game that removed some of the story elements. With that said, the spirit of Ravenmark is still very much alive in this game. It is still a very brutal tactical game that punishes players who don't think before they move (in my opinion, possibly too brutal for casual players still).

For those unfamiliar with Ravenmark, this is a turn based strategy game where both players submit their moves (move, pursuit, etc) in a command round and then watch as their choice gets executed along with their opponents moves. Which is a nice mechanic because its not as simple as moving powerful unit to weak unit, smash, kill, and then wait for the next round. You may move and that unit is no longer there, or they may retreat and a counter unexpectedly reroutes to confront your unit. The unpredictable nature and brutal tactics make this a true strategy gem.

It has a chess like feeling to it where you are nearly identically matched with your opponent, and your tactical choices matter. You can't endlessly throw units at your opponent hoping to win with brute force. There is a certain rock, paper, scissors mechanic similar to Ravenmark, Total War series, etc (calvary beats archers which beats infantry which beats pikeman which beats calvary).

However, in this game, you are in a Honey I Shrunk the Kids setting using beatles and other various unnamed, microscopic pests to make up your ranks. Graphics and audio are done in a Sega Genesis era style and uses humor throughout. Though, don't let the looks fool you. Even though you are commanding units through leftover nachos on a plate, bottlenecking troops through some spilled nutella on the floor, and reading short comedy snippets as the caimpaign story progresses, the game is unforgiving and even strategy game fans may find themselves losing battles early in the campaign.

I would definitely recommend this to strategy fans or those who liked Ravenmark and wanted it in a different flavor. It doesn't really do much to improve on its predecessor, but at its price its hard not to recommend it. I would be hesitant to recommend it to players who aren't fans of strategy games though as you'll find yourself a hefty challenge as soon as the tutorial hand holding ends (which it does, rather abruptly, throw you to the wolves).

5. Wiarumas

Wiarumas Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2014
    -Don't chase units unless its a good idea to chase them. Think of it as a real battle. You want to remain in formation and have strategic positioning, not run all over the battlefield. Positioning = control. They'll attack as long as they are in range.

-Be mindful of the rock paper scissors dynamic else you will be whittled down. For that level, you need your calvary/beetles to take out the ranged unit, but at the same time, don't put them in a position that makes them vulnerable to the infantry. Have infantry battle infantry, but not take too many volleys from that ranged unit, etc. Unfortuntely, I don't think this was explained well in the tutorial (or codex). Only reason I know is from Ravenmark (and Rome Total War).

Not really a spoiler, but if you are interested in hearing the exact strategy I used for that level:

For that battle, I kept my infantry together, had calvary swing out to the sides getting ready to flank. I let them come to me - as they came through the valley, I had the opportunity for my beetle to take out that ranged unit. Infantry clashed. Then I had enough of an edge to let the rest of them duke it out.

6. Baracus

Baracus Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply! I edited my other post (bit at the end) and yeah this is exactly what I did to pass it :)

I do quite like it, it's different (having not played Ravenmark). Thanks again ;)

7. MonkeyChunks

MonkeyChunks Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Looks good. I think I'll get it if I catch a $1.99 sale, if such as planned ever. Personally I like that they look like micro humans, but referencing to them as mites and/or bedbugs is sending shivers down my spine. I had the displeasure of experiencing bedbugs once and it is a nightmare fitting a cerebral horror game in which there is no escape (lol).

8. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Well, I play most of my games on my Retina Mini, which only works with Wifi. And since my Wifi signal is weak (my apartment is in Florida, and is built out of solid concrete due to hurricanes, I get no cell phone service inside and my Wifi cuts off at times) an online only game doesn't work for me.

9. Chaos_u

Chaos_u Well-Known Member

Game Impressions

I am still busy on playing other today's new released games, so I've just finished off the tutorial first on this game, will get back for more gameplay later. Hope this gives a little bit info about how's the gameplay on the device.

10. MonkeyChunks

MonkeyChunks Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2012
    This is somewhat of a tangent from the original question. While I may understand "why" they're against the "always online" requirement, I don't think that is a justification to trash the game or to be mean to the developer. It is nice when the developer appears in the forum and is willing to answer some questions, and not all games can be perfect, but do not be an entitled jerk to them.

11. flyordiedays

flyordiedays Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011
    I agree completely. Online only games don't work for me, but I wouldn't trash the game or give it a low rating for that reason alone.

12. blackout0502

blackout0502 Member

May 29, 2014
    I really want this game because, mainly, an addict to iOS games. Anyways, been playin BHL band it seems like a lot to do. Anyone thinks this is gonna be worth it since BHL dropped last night?

13. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    #73 Bool Zero, May 29, 2014
    Last edited: May 29, 2014
    As a fan of Ravenmark I was all set to grab this this morning since I crashed early last night and missed the 11:00 releases drop... Until I read in the thread that it requires a network connection! Looks like I'll have to pass on this game then. I just can't get behind a system like that. It may be a supposed means to combat piracy but it also is an inconvenience to legitimate customers who just don't use devices with a data plan. I don't play games on a phone, never will, and chose an iPad to do that on, but I will not get a data plan enabled iPad to do that.

My rule is that if I can't play a single player game when ever and wherever I currently am at, I won't buy it. Sure, this may be the direction that the industry is going, but it is not one I am willing to support and if I have to miss out on games then so be it. I can only hope enough people feel likewise that developers and publishers take note... And if not, then perhaps it's time for me to give up on this platform as a viable gaming alternative. It's a shame that this is the path the industry feels it needs to take to alleged combat piracy when there are alternatives.

14. Tebius

Tebius Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Creative Lead//Witching Hour Studios
    It's not about piracy. We've made our peace with that. It's for cheating. Cheating ruins the experience for you guys.

Also, this is more of a multiplayer game that happens to have some AI missions, not so much a single player game with multiplayer. Think more of Heroes Academy or Outwitters.

15. anabolicMike

anabolicMike Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    There's been development studios who went out of business cause thier game bombed due to a bunch of small wienered little boys cheating. I don't blame the dev for doing it online and I would do the same. I have wifi at home, LTE on my phone (6gb) so a connection isn't annoying to me.

Keep up the good work T. You gotta do what ya gotta do. I haven't seen any 1.99 for gems that are required of you want to get a mission done withing three days. Or a 2.99 for some epic artifact that has a durability scale of a sword made of poop. The haters can all hate. Keep up the good work!

16. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    This is a very understandable reason for being an online only game. After all, multiplayer games only work one way. The confusion, and misplaced frustration, was due to the assumption that this was also a single player game, with an online requirement implemented to combat piracy. Call it the Gameloft reflex. And I'm guilty of it too.

17. Ecko7123

Ecko7123 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Added this to my watch list, looks good and I'll probably buy it tonight.

18. drdreh

drdreh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    $0.99 now