Universal Defender Chronicles II: Heroes of Athelia (By Gimka Entertainment)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, May 23, 2012.

1. thevagrant

thevagrant Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    I doesn't work on the ipad3 either; even if it's the only app running in the background. Just closing the cover gets you back to the opening credits.

I guess it is just a bug and will be taken care of in the future, if it works on iphone4, there's no reason it wouldn't work on a new ipad.

2. cycler15

cycler15 Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2009
    I completely agree with the comments above about the animations and UI. The UI is very confusing.

Also, when you upgrade towers, there are no stats to show how much damage is being increased... or am I missing something?

And to the devs... I don't mind that I paid my $3. It seems you have a big fan base and I support indie developers... just not my cup of tea so far. But I'll give it another shot.

3. Rivozzz

Rivozzz Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Severely disappointed at this game.. This game was purely made as a freemium game with all extensive IAP.. And they had the base of fans which will drag them to such a trap

Don't believe the Dev or his fellow friends that this game has no relation and can be played without IAP.... That one hell big lie...listen to the people who fell in The trap and bough such game... I even fell to a bigger trap is buy one IAP and the game will be normal....but that's another big lie.. This game was made that will drag u to non continous buying..

I bought IAp which will double the money I earned...and what crap..instead of 20 token per battle I got 30 F****en token. Played on master level.. And that what I got only 30 token... They say u sell items...that what a big lie.. It gives u like 15 token if u won an item...They tell u play legandery for 250 token, other big lie, u won't be powerfull to win such game unless u grinded not for hours, but for days and weeks..u needed tokens for items and library upgrades right..lol and after loooots of Battles u get some tokens, u find them useless after u purchased an item, because another item is better for your higher level and u don't win except for 30 tokens ...so u start from ground after if u want to change an item u bought and play hell loooot of battles to win tokens to change only one stupid item

Not only an item cost tokens, but also library and characters costs tokens .. And he'll big tokens. To access even something called black market requires 640 token to unlock charchters one is 3120 and other is about 8000.. And what I say is only the unlock not to mention their items...remember 30 tokkens per battle with a 1.99 IAP to double my tokkens

This game made is a grinding REVENGE... Either They revenge from you if u don't buy lots and not only one IAP, by days and weeks for grinding and maybe more, or u surrender to their trap, hidden by fake lies of people loves grinding one time and other time u can play it without IAP

That is the most crazy grindiing game I ever seen in my whooooole life!!

4. spajdr

spajdr Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Male
    Elder administrator
    Czech Republic, Ostrava
    Thanks for all information, im going to pass this game.

5. pavarotti2007

pavarotti2007 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    UK
    I have the new iPad and fast app switching works fine for me.

6. wswing

wswing Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Professor
    I didn't dare quote this entire rant, but I must defend Gimka here. I played the first game for hundreds of hours and never needed the IAP. And here the IAP is exactly the same. There's absolutely no reason to click the button, and in fact the experience is better if you don't. As everyone has said, the IAP is present only because many people want to support this small developer and add kooky things to their game.

Now your issue with the double money not working is certainly valid. However, if the first game is any indication, the bonus is actually doubling your reward, not the total money output. That means that each level gives you a set amount of money that isn't doubled, and then a bonus on top of it that is. In your case the 10 set reward wouldn't be doubled, but the bonus 10 would be. Not sure if this is true, but I'm sure GImka can give some input on that.

7. Plast2

Plast2 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    #107 Plast2, May 24, 2012
    Last edited: May 24, 2012
    You seem to be intent on smearing our name and reputation, which makes me kind'a annoyed, as I'm sure people can understand after three years labor...

And somehow, eventhough many of these... outbursts from you,have been answered several times, I keep wanting to defend us. This game is NOT an IAP trap. You can use IAP if you want, if not, PLEASE don't. Many do not want the task of building an rpg-like character from scratch, but buy a full set of items that'll give them a good boost. For many - most, I hope - the building of a character - collecting loot and gear and putting the right sets on against a certain enemy, finding treasures, opening secrets and earning medals - is what attacts them to the rpg element of DC.

The game can be played without ANY what so ever IAP. And you'll get every last drop of the same experience as those who used a boost through IAP. - In fact, they might miss out on some good earned character building and experience...

And you are, how old? Sigh...

I'm really glad though, that many of you seem to enjoy it. There are quite a few updates planned. As you know we have a submission date for the next in just... well 10 days. - And the next should follow 2-3 weeks after that. Maps, new enemies, weapons, more soundtracks and so on. Hopefully you'll enjoy it :)

8. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    The characters didn't have a massive amount of frames of animation in DC1, but it looked like they had enough. They seem to have fewer frames of animation in DC2.

When playing zoomed out fully on iPhone 4, the jerky animation isn't as obvious.

Fast app switching isn't working for me on an iPhone 4, but on returning to the game no progress is lost which is something at least.

I like how your units all have individual names.

To people complaining about the grinding: it's intentional, DC1 was very grindy too.

9. SirDarkened

SirDarkened Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    There is no real "fast app switching" it is something that just isn't there and I'm not really sure why but assume dc takes up a lot of memory to run so it cannot handle it.

It will always save your progress when you pause. So do that before you exit.

10. mean_monkey

mean_monkey Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Male
    Game Developer
    Indonesia
    Without trying to defend the jerky-ness of the animation, there is actually a reason why we had to minimize the number of animation frames for each character. The reason is quite simple, Defender Chronicles has always been a game that strains the iphone / ipad memory to the extent, because the number of units co-exist together in a stage is just sooo many. Many of the stages has hundreds of monsters lining up together before they went up the hill / down the hill, and the mob contains so many monster types. This is all necessary because we just think it builds the atmosphere and contributes to the feel of the game as a whole.

We have stuffed as many frames as the iphone can hold into each monster textures but apparently it is just not enough to make them a fluid animation. We even considered to go fully 3d but back then the iphone / ipad has a limited cpu / gpu power and can't possibily powerful enough to handle as many monster as the game requires in the current 2D form. But the newer phones and ipads are becoming more and more high end nowadays so who knows...

11. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yep, kinda like I wrote on the previous page: one player's grind is anothers promise of longevity. For those who do not enjoy the grind, DC2 is just not for them. For those who do, the game is a marvel. As, as Gimka has stated time and time again, repetition is only required for the higher difficulty levels, which were never intended for the average player anyways.

MANY players WANT and SEEK the challenge and the grind, and the challenge of the grind and the grind of the challenge. To them (us, really) it is a feature of longevity, and an asset, and promises that a game we enjoy will give us additional reason, in addition to the actual fun of play, to come back time and time again.

While I'm none too fond of IAP that have the potential to mess up the leaderboards standing or other competitive elements (though I'm not sure this is the case in DC2. Are there items more powerful than the IAP packs to be found through regular gameplay?), I support the concept wholeheartedly when it helps small developers make more great games (with the usual caveats: no IAPs that make players stronger in competitive environments and online multiplayer, and no IAP caps on gameplay/Gameloft-style timers/unavoidable IAP in premium titles). And in this case, where, just like you point out, not a single IAP is required to enjoy the game or survive any map at any difficulty level, the counter-reaction is a tad rampant.

While I certainly don't enjoy all-out verbal war between devs and players (the legendary outbursts of Maliken during the beta days of Savage 2 spring to my mind. I hope for your sake none of you know what I'm talking about ;) ), it's refreshing to see devs speak their mind and give voice to their annoyance, especially when it is so durned well justified as in this case ;)

There is. It is just broken for some, for some peculiar reason. For me, the fast app switching works flawlessly.

12. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    On reentering the app, I got 3 items for no reason, and like 200 tokens. I then tried to sell items, and the elf hut offered me 0 or 1 token for everything.

WTFBBQ?

13. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Well I for one am happy with buying this. Must admit I've never played the first game (so cant compare it to that) but I do buy hundreds of apps.
    And I'm really enjoying this. Graphically it looks really nice. Sure there's not a ton of frames of animation but I can understand that to have that many on screen things moving something needs to suffer and to be fair it's not about the single character animations anyway.
    Well overall I can see this having tons of gameplay and personally I enjoy grinding in a game if the game is enjoyable.
    Some stuff could be explained better like the hero's and abilities/specials etc as I don't know what the point of the different heros is but to be fair I've Only played A few missions.
    In a kind of way it reminds me of legendary wars for the amount of gameplay and longevity.
    All this from a small indie dev is quite an achievement.
    Well worth the asking price.
    Thanks for a great game.

14. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    #114 eev, May 24, 2012
    oh sure, at first it was all about - by the time you played heroic mode, nothing about legendary. now you still have to earn that much at legendary, nice. the point is, i played all maps with melvin and many already on heroic and i am not even close to buying new heroes. i dont care if the game was designed in that way, i dont care if iap does not play any role. that are just the facts and i just post my impressions about the game. for most players who dont buy iaps these new heroes are not accessible, i hope it's clear. and please dont compare it with the first game, grinding was different there.

i dont care about how this game runs on your device, sorry about that. i also dont understand why would you think that i am generalizing something, of course i have only experienced it with my device and it does not work at all. if you could take some time and read topic you would see that other people also thought that this game does not have this feature.

15. Rivozzz

Rivozzz Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    By the way, although I hate this IAPs.... I can't put it down.. I decided not to buy anything or unlock anything or make an library purchase... I m playing on each level till it is impossible to go further and play another scene.. I know it will be somehow impossible to continue pass alot of things or difficulties in the future.. But I am enjoying the simple levels

And I advice anyone, whatever u see those IAPs, don't buy whatever your desire.. Enjoy the game till it becomes impossible to go further...

16. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    #116 November's Chopin, May 24, 2012
    This is pretty much just an expansion or mod of DC1. No new concepts are offered at all, looks like a re-skin of DC1. You get the basic soldier guild, archer guild and mage guild in the beginning. Instead of 2 soldiers in DC1, now you only get 1. Other than that I noticed absolutely no difference between this and DC1 at least for the first few levels. In the future you unlock 2 more heroes which costs tons to buy and might require real $, but as for changes in this game I think that's about it. Two more heroes + inclusion IAP for $2.99, not sure if it's worth it.
    This is good or bad depending on how obsessed you were with DC1.

17. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    The fault lies not with the game, which is exactly what fans expected (albeit with IAP), but rather with fans getting newcomers expectations about too high. As I posted about 6 screens worth of posts ago, this is a RPG/Tower hybrid, and while its a very good one, maybe the best of its kind, its not, in my opinion, the kind of game with massive cross-genre appeal to non-fans of the genre.

18. Jo.

Jo. Well-Known Member

May 30, 2009
    Just got some boots that say "adds poison to all core infantry's abilities" but when I play, my troops don't have poison? So how does this work? Anyone know?

19. Gimka

Gimka Well-Known Member

Rivozzz, thanks for the honest comment.

I assume you keep posting here because you actually care about the game. If you do still have a little faith on us, please try this:
    - Make sure to equip the IAP for double tokens (Golden Owl) on your active hero's accessory slot. It's important to equip the item and not just leave it in Inventory or Stronghold.
    - If you don't want to play General, just play Melwen.
    - You don't need to play Legendary and I never said anyone needs to. The Freestyle Heroic will give you good amount of tokens. But the key here is Freestyle. To get there, go back to main menu, select Battleground, and choose Freestyle.
    - Choose any map that you want.
    - If you don't want to play Heroic, just play Master, or even Casual. You definitely will get less on lower difficulty, but that's not the point.
    - Read the story carefully. If there is strong enemy, like Golem, Ogre Magi, Sorcerer, go back and choose the map again until you get enemies that you are confident your hero can kill.
    - Get perfect victory! Perfect victory means you don't let any enemy pass and you don't sell any guild. This is important otherwise you will get less tokens.
    - Check how many tokens that you get.

I can do the above and post a screenshot but I think you should see it for yourself.

eev, you are entitled to your own opinion and I'm not going to deny you that. I will just say that the time will prove if the game is actually playable without IAP or not.

We are already working on the next 10 maps. If this is just a one time thing where we are trying to get as many people as possible to buy the game based on our earlier reputation and then abandon them, why would we even bother with the updates?

Chopin, the new soldier is called Squire and yes, there is only 1 per guild. You can still get Warriors, which there are 2 per guild, if you play General. Each hero will have its own different elite unit. There are also medals/abilities that you can unlock (check the hero screen).

20. memex

memex New Member

May 18, 2012
    Excellent game. Played the first one and loved it. Iap isn't necessary but I've partaken just to make it a little more fun. If it isn't your cup of tea then don't buy, but to slag off a game that has iap bu doesn't require it is puerile. Keep up the good work lads. Looking forward to the updates.