Does the indie retweet group really work?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by jDun1212, Jun 4, 2012.

1. jDun1212

jDun1212 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012
    I keep seeing this like this '#IDRTG' in twitter, but I mostly see Devs just pushing them to other devs, and I'm wondering has anyone tried this before and does it really have an impact on downloads and such?

Thanks!

2. I've tried it. I'd say it was good for making yourself known to other developers and possibly contacts if you wanted to go down that route. Other than that, because their's so much information on twitter, any announcements you make I feel tend to get lost in a sea of information and I didn't see that much of a difference in downloads.

3. It's good for some things, like getting enough likes on your facebook page to get your own custom URL.

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Is it still a big thing? I sort of unfollowed everyone who was big into incessantly retweeting everything with the #IDRTG hashtag since 90% of the stuff seemed really spammy.

5. Acumen

Acumen Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Kindergarten teacher
    Germany
    Yeh it had a weird impact at first. Still lots of people/devs whose twitter account consists of nothing but these retweets :(

However I must say that the only times I used it for engaginggames and expected something out of it, the views on the youtube videos kinda raised significantly - which was nice for a tinytinytiny dev like me and blake, which kinda was the goal.

Still as every other retweeting business, you tend to not reach the "right" people, since those who can take you places, don't use it for a reason :)
    I tried again 1-2 weeks ago for a latest Droppin' Bombs video and it didn't have the same "impact" as the initial one.
    Basically the one who gets best outcome is the inventor. I mean it gives a handful of more exposure but nothing dramatic, afterall. Which is good.
    If it was actually bringing supermany downloads or purchases I doubt it'd be a free service for too long. That's just how it works, right ;)

6. jogo

jogo Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    I tried it but no effect was measurable.
    Later I unfollowed most of it users and banned the tag because it was just too much spam.

7. MrLeQuack

MrLeQuack Well-Known Member

Just spam...not really worth it!

8. LiamAtDevour

LiamAtDevour Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Co-founder/Programmer at Devour Games
    Brisbane, Australia.
    Generally agree with the group here. Your feed fills with the IDRTG tag and you just ignore it straight away. And therefore you can assume the others are ignoring yours. If you're spamming your wall constantly you're going to scare away your actual fans, people who are genuinely interested in your products.

9. Hercule

Hercule Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    It's still usefull for a social proof when you start your twitter account.
    (people will be more willing to subscribe to a twitter with 200 followers, than a twitter with 3 followers)

10. HTWGames

HTWGames Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Game Developer
    Toronto/Vancouver
    I find any useage of Twitter is far more geared towards schoolyard tactics. In other words, unless you're an active 'popular' person with your own cliques established, then you're not really going to have an impact on anyone. Basically they become commercials on tv that no one gives two nipples about...

It's tough to build a community on Twitter unless you're quirky, people really want you to notice them(ie: you're a popular person who ignores anyone but celeb response), or you're already super successful and people just want to see what's happening next.

Otherwise it's a giant stream of nonsensical info that people skip through looking for the popular voice.

Popularity, celebrity, and dull witted public really do ruin a system that could definitely work.

That's more or less my experience.... However I will say this. There are a few people that just LOVE indie game development and will give themselves to the promotion and community as long as it's recognized and appreciated. But even then it gets difficult to get noticed because once one person says hey check out my stuff!, there's 40,000 more people that want that attention as well.

I have a friend by the tag @Doomfan who runs his own indie promotions called Appalooza or #summerappalooza, code giveaways, etc. on Twitter. It seems to have a small, but strong communal following that is growing. Great person to hit up.

Cheers!

11. grid

grid Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    iPhone Game Dev
    Minneapolis, MN
    Hey James, you should update your signature. I've been following you for a couple of weeks now, and no follow back! It's all lies! ;)

I've never seen this dev retweet hashtag thing, guess it's for the best, or I might have been tempted to try it.

Also, no offense, but how does an app with such great graphic design have such a terrible icon?

12. jDun1212

jDun1212 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012
    My fault grid! ill find you right now! Also you think the Icon is terrible!?! I rather like it :) have you seen Swangle 2's icon its a bit better.