Universal Little Inferno HD - (by Tomorrow Corporation)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jan 30, 2013.

1. shinbone64

shinbone64 Active Member

Jul 3, 2012
    That's because they are ps3 games, probably never will come to iOS.

2. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Yeah, I did some googling and found that out. Thanks though.

3. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    After I finished the game, I was interested in trying to understand what the subtext of the game was. Tomorrow Corp, the developer of Little Inferno, on their web site mentions this YouTube video as doing a good job of analyzing the game:

http://youtu.be/f8nwRCW-tJU

The video contains spoilers, so do NOT watch it until after you finish the game. I found the analysis to be very interesting and thought provoking. I do think there may be another theme of the game that is not mentioned in the video, but the video producer's commentary seems very reasonable and insightful to me.

4. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2010
    +1

It's just a collection of broken toys shouting metaphysical nonsense while you throw them into flames and watch them convert into smoke. Beautiful, creepy, and oh so pretentious.

Cliche, but this is definitely second album syndrome.

5. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Nonsense. I'm enjoying just watching things burn (which is stopping me from burning things in the real world) but the implied story and meaning behind it all is brilliant. After seeing the end you realise that eveything in the whole game is there for a reason and it all means something.

There's no magical "Oo everyone likes it so I must like it" going on here, but I can see how what's fun for one can be boring for another,
    For me its great and well worth picking up.

(It might be worth saying I also like swords and sworcery, flow, flower, journey, etc... pretty much anything that try's to be a bit different than the norm)
    It doesn't have to be an all out action game to be fun,

6. Turkeydipking

Turkeydipking Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Student
    Germany
    Finished this earlier today... Wow. It was absolutely amazing.
    Does anyone know what (if anything) happens when you figure out all 99 combos?

7. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    Achievement and the company sends you a mousepad to burn :p

8. beelzebub23

beelzebub23 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Did you buy it?
    It looks like you didn't, I stated earlier that I will give this game 2.99$.

I bought it and I stand firmly behind it, very fun, very intriguing, really makes you think sometimes, especially with the combos, I really like it.

Not worth 4.99 Defiantly worth my time, buy it now or wait a little for the drop, I like the (I guess it can be called) "side story" with the girl, I'm on catalog 4 but I guess it's gonna be brilliant style boss levels info on WOG like the "MOM" levels, I still get shivers from those signs... and how about the moon? ;)

9. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    I was looking forward to this game so is there a chance it might come to iPhone/iPod?

10. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    Random Protip: do not burn the coupon for a free hug

the CEO gives you a hug if you have it at the end of the game and itself a 100pt achievement!

11. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

First, I hate that spoilers don't help when you get email notifications.

Second, CRAP. I totally
    burned the crap out of the coupon

Guess there's reason to play again after all ;)

12. beelzebub23

beelzebub23 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I already burnt it :( (didn't' read the spoiler)
    Should I start a new game?

13. andsoitgoes

So, very much like your post then?

Don't like the game, that's fine. Say you don't like it, that's fine too. But to basically say this game has NO merit whatsoever is not "opinion", it's simply untrue. When I see people rating this a 1 and saying "OMG ETS TEH WERST GAME EVR!", I shrug. Really, this is the "worst" game and deserves to be ranked up against ET, Rambo and such as the worst games ever? That's just silly.

This isn't a game for everyone, I think that's abundantly clear. It's like someone putting out an 800 page non-fiction book covering all sorts of topics and then following it up with a young adult book. Is the young adult book terrible? No. Does it appeal to the people who were into the first book? Possibly not.

Using the book analogy, it reminds me of Dave Eggers and his follow up books. They were hugely different, and many people into the book that made him famous weren't at all into the follow up.

Anyway, buy it or don't, but if you are going to criticize it, at least do it with respect. I don't go around crapping on games I think are terrible, it serves no purpose.

14. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2010
    The main problem is that getting to the OMGWOW ending means going through hours of dull, uninteresting "gameplay" - where the only challenge is trying to make sense of the combo names (and more often than not, the clues in the name are too obvious - like "Two Fans" or "Broken Teeth" or "Magnetic Heart" etc. I get it's all a satire of freemium shit, but it's definitely not entertainment. I can't even speed up by buying and burnng everything asap due to the crap "wait for delivery" system. All in all, don't consider this a game, you'll be sorely sad for your money.

Pyromaniacs might go gaga over this, though.

15. andsoitgoes

For you.

But for many of the rest of us, we clearly don't feel that way. It's fine you hate the game and think it's stupid, but to come to a thread about the game in a clear attempt to try and ward off the world from purchasing such a horrible exude for a game is, well, silly. You've said your piece, you don't like the game. So.... Why are you still here? Unless you're simply trolling for the sake of trolling.

16. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2010
    LOL. a post using the word "beautiful" in it gets bashed for having not enough respect for the game it criticized. That's a long way from saying it has no merit whatsoever, and I don't recall giving the game a 1. Learn to read, then come back and valliantly defend your pretentious and boring idols.

17. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2010
    May I ask the reverse question? Why are you so vehemently defending a piss-poor attempt at a game?
    And to answer your question, I'm here because this burn-a-thon is a severe disappointment for me. I bought it without reading the reviews, just on the back of World of Goo (which I love) and I just can't believe it's the same team. I guess it isn't, and I was just a poor sucker.

18. Prhaber

Prhaber Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    This is obviously a very subjective game and not everyone's going to enjoy it, so there's not point arguing about it. Some people are going to hate it and think its a waste of time, and some people are going to think its the best game ever.

Personally I'm in the second camp. I'm about 3 and a half hours into the game and I've found it mesmerising, enjoyable, funny, disturbing, very moving and at times even quite emotional - I have to say that this is one of the few games to bring a tear to my eye. If it doesn't for you then that's fine, but for me this has, so far, been a fantastic gaming experience and one of the highlights of my time on ios. It's up there with Superbrothers Sword & Sworcery as an experience that's very much more than the sum of its parts.

I quite understand that sum people are going to criticise the game - everyone's entitled to their own opinion - as long as no-one tries to dismiss or disregard my enjoyment of the game.

For those of you on the fence about buying this game - give it a shot (it won't break the bank after all) and see what you think. You may find it a waste of time but you might just discover one of the best games you've ever played...

19. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Bug report: bought the sausages, tried to put them into the fireplace, it just didn't react. Thinking it's my big finger to blame, I tried with my pinky only for the game to select the next item which was, obviously, the hug coupon. To add insult to injury, you don.t have to lift your finger for the game to believe you want to burn stuff - it's enough to drag the items all the way into the fireplace, which for a tiny item like the coupon it's too easy to do.
    Definitely, this game hates me as much as I do hate it :)

Joke aside, the selection bug was really annoying. I guess I'll have to google a video of the "good" ending :/

20. BrushMyNoseOff

BrushMyNoseOff Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Coach / Photographer
    NYC
    I don't know, certain combos are pretty clever... such as "Cold War," for example. I've only done 60 of them so far, but like everyone is saying - you made your point, it's not for you, move on. No reason to steer the focus of the thread in the direction of negativity and bickering.