Great Little War Game Skirmish Mode

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Rubicon, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    As promised, we're starting to think about what a skirmish mode might entail for a future version. Please don't expect this really soon though, just making the maps will take quite a while let alone the new coding requirements.

So, the big question:

What do you want/expect to see in it? What is in "Skirmish" that isn't in the 1v1 type missions in the game already?

2. steviebwoy

steviebwoy Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    Firstly, I'd like to see a pass and play mode for multiplayer 1v1 as well as against the AI. That would be a nice addition. Skirmish modes really work best with a large number of maps to choice from, or with a random map generator, so that things don't get repetitive too quickly.

I don't know how feasible it'd be to have a random map generator, but for games like Worms they do work really well, and with this kind of game, you could just mirror one side of the map to the other, so that both teams would have the same obstacles to overcome, and terrain to use tactically. I don't know whether this would involve some kind of re-working into how the levels are created though..

As for longevity, I think it would be useful to have some kind of stat-tracking within the game. In the former versions of Worms, the game used to store all kinds of data which was great to read through (well, it was for me anyway - *nerd alert* - haha). You could have unlockable maps on there at least though, so that each completed level would unlock the next, or earn tokens that could be used to unlock new maps in a shop.

Finally, I don't know how easy it'd be to set the level of AI (ie. three levels of AI to play against), but this would be a great feature too.

3. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    You've hit on one of the reasons this didn't make the original build. Making the maps is time consuming and doing them dynamically is just not happening - it's a very ram and cpu intensive process that's done offline.

But yes, there will obviously have to be some new maps.

4. steviebwoy

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    Hm, well looking at the maps (with all due respect!!) it's not immediately evident why they would take any longer to make than, say, a Command and Conquer level, or a Settlers level. This seems to be the one thing holding you back from releasing loads of DLC. Perhaps you could look into some way of making them more accessible to create, perhaps by making them visually simpler or tactically less diverse? It seems that all you need is the diversity of Advance Wars' maps, with varied height terrain, so I'm not sure why this would cause such a memory migraine?

5. Rubicon

Feb 22, 2011
    Isle of Wight, UK
    The triangulation of the 3D mesh is what eats ram and the ambient occlusion colouring is what eats time. The most complex of the current maps takes about 3 minutes to process on my top spec pc.

I think this one will have to be with custom maps. Possibly somehow with user created ones via an offline editor.

Anything else?

6. phazer89

phazer89 Well-Known Member

Yeah, an AI difficulty is a must-have. Perhaps an option to set the number of neutral buildings on the map too, for people who like to tinker with map settings. That would tie-in well with a random map generator as well. Or if not, the maps could be set with specific positions (for 1/2/3/? of each building).

An occasional new unit would be great too. :D

7. steviebwoy

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    Well, I guess each team should start with exactly the same resources, specifically tailored to each map. That way, you carve your own destiny based on the tactics you employ. I like the VIP mode in GLWG, so maybe each team could have a VIP too in some cases.

The bottom line, I suppose, is that there has to be a motivation for people to choose the skirmish mode over the main story. That could come in the form of unlockable maps, classes, voice packs or credits to use in an in-game shop. Either that, or you could have the pass and play mode - people love beating their friends, especially with a tactical wargame like this one.

Another idea would be, as I said earlier, to add stat tracking to the game in greater detail. This sort of thing would really add a lot of replayability as people would want their stats to be as strong as possible.

Aside from this, you could add achievements to the skirmish modes - ie. "win five battles in a row", or "unlock all available maps", those always tend to serve as a great motivator.

One final thing, and one that I've eluded to in my numerous e-mails to you over the past month or so, would be to add character names to the game. This'll add a lot of attachment to player's teams and would be great to look at individual stat tracking for members of your team.