iPhone Silverfish MAX - (by Chaotic Box)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jul 27, 2011.

1. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Yeah, the Joypad controls take a while to get used to, but even then the screen controls are miles better. Nonetheless, ChaoticBox, thanks for this amazing game ^.^ I'm looking forward to more of your work, especially some of that iPad specific stuff you were hinting to before Match Panic.

2. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    think you could lower the firmware requirements? i have it on my 4.1 iphone, saw the sale yesterday but couldn't download because my ipad is at 4.2.1 not 4.3. i don't care about the sale price, but im not updating because of one app. thanks!

3. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    I'll consider it, but it's really not likely to happen (sorry). iOS 4.2.1 introduced some nasty Game Center bugs that I'd really like to avoid. Honestly I'd update the iPhone version to require 4.3 too if I could, but that'd break the game for users with first and second generation devices.

Can I ask which app is holding you back? iOS 5 is miles ahead of iOS 4.

4. ChaoticBox

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    It's a bit out of nowhere, but Silverfish MAX has been featured by Apple in "New & Noteworthy" sections in the iPad App Store. It even has a little banner in some countries :D

If you're a fan of the game and want to help out during this rare time of increased visibility please post a review (or update your review) for the current version. Thanks!

5. MarkHerm

MarkHerm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    I just tried Silverfish with my new iCade :)cool:) and it is GREAT. I was a little worried that controls might be off but to the contrary!! It plays fantastically with the iCade stick...

Well done!

6. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Agreed. Of the over one-thousand games I've bought or downloaded, Silverfish and its bigger Max brother are some of the first games I launch when showing off my iDevices to my friends and family.

7. reec0X

reec0X Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Computer Engineer
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    colorful graphics! remind me on 'war on geometry'...

8. ChaoticBox

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    Cheers! Getting an 8-way stick to feel right with 4-way movement was a bit more challenging than I first anticipated but it worked out OK in the end :)

9. MarkHerm

MarkHerm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    #49 MarkHerm, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
    The new retina update is stunning. :eek: because of the update I, once again, rediscovered this great game.

I just tried a couple of rounds on the new iPad and the icade and managed to increase my high score to 113m on Haste mode which is #1 on the leader boards (as of now at least) :D

Sorry for the rant but I just wanted to say that this game is still one of my absolute fav games on the app store :cool:

10. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    first i must say Chaotic box im back, my ipod touch 4 got stolen...but now i got me a new ipad...

im glad to see silverfish is still kicking ass, when you first released it you were down a bit cause sales were not the best, it looks like it got much better for you , when the game came out praise didnt do the game justice you just blew it out of the park, im dl the ipad version now!

11. ChaoticBox

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    Oh, sales still suck - worse than ever - I just got tired of complaining ;)

12. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I just noticed that the game is NEARLY retina enabled! Frank described it as not being "truly" retina enabled but, dang, you could have fooled me as all of the text looks razor sharp and the game's primary graphics are so retro that, if there is any fuzziness with them, you'd swear it was intentional. :)

13. ChaoticBox

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    YES. Each texture is scaled using a filter appropriate for that art - keeping sharp stuff sharp and glowly stuff glowy :)

Stopped by to note that new updates for Silverfish MAX and Silverfish are now available. These fix some minor iOS 6 related bugs, have better Game Center & iCade support, and Silverfish now supports iPhone 5/5th gen iPod 4" screens.

14. PixyJunket

PixyJunket Well-Known Member

I just wanted to pop in and say thanks for the continued support.

I'm about to get an iPad and Silverfish Max will be one of the first purchases I make for it.

Are you ever considering adding more achievements to the game? You're only using 390 points!

15. ChaoticBox

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    Silverfish first shipped with 3 modes back in 2010 and I had plans to add another 3 (or more) modes in updates depending on how well it was selling. So, I left some room in the achievements to accommodate those potential future modes. Fast forward a bit and it now has 4 modes, but economically even that 4th mode didn't make much sense ;) For right now it's in maintenance mode while I focus on new games and *sigh* client work.

16. masvil

masvil Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Can you please reveal how many Silverfish and Silverfish Max copies did you sell until now? There are 13.848 players on Game Center, but it's not enought to evaluate.

17. ChaoticBox

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    Including yesterday's 2 sales:
    Silverfish: 10,381
    Silverfish MAX: 4,237 (Thank you, Apple feature)

The leaderboards are not shared between the two games, so I'll let you decide how the iPhone version has more GC scores than paying customers ;)

Now I know some folks will look at those numbers and think "YOU GREEDY BASTARD!" - a quote literally taken from an iTunes review, but I digress - Let's break this down...

Silverfish development began end of November 2008, and continued on-and-off in 2-3 month spurts over the next two years, till the first release in November 2010. During that time I also did some client work, released flOOid (the result of a couple weeks I took off Silverfish to polish up the fluid fx that would ultimately be folded back into Silverfish), and spent nearly 5 months on Pollywog, which was a spectacular flop.

Conservative estimate is around 9 months work went into Silverfish v1.0. Another couple months went into the next few updates (Haste mode, d-pad controls, iOS 4 backgrounding) plus a couple weeks for the short-lived Silverfish Free. Silverfish MAX was about 3 weeks work for the initial release. So not including all the time spent on marketing I had put nearly a year's work into this thing already. Silverfish MAX introduced iCade support, and since then I've added a button control scheme, Joypad support, retina updates, plus a bunch of bug fixes/improvements for iOS 5 and now for iOS 6. I really haven't kept track of my time on these later updates, but it's not insignificant.

As you might imagine, the bulk of the combined 14,618 sales happened during the various 99¢ promos, but I did average a bit more than the typical 70¢ cut per sale due to the $1.99 (and occasional $2.99) regular pricing. It's hard to say how much money that actually translates into because exchange rates haven't exactly been stable these past few years, but $15K CAD is probably in the right range.

tl;dr: $15K CAD return on 1 year+ work. Before tax, excluding external costs and time - marketing, customer support, hardware/software updates, Apple fees, etc.

The Silverfish games now sell a steady 5-10 copies a week combined.

You asked :p

18. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    With so many stories like this of excellent games having poor sales, how does one explain the continued onslaught of new IOS games being published?

19. ChaoticBox

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    I think it's just human nature to believe you'll be one of the lucky ones - if gambling and lotteries are any indication ;) There's also a shit ton of shovelware and straight up scams that add to the noise, but there are a lot of folks that just like making games :)

Also, until very recently the jackpot stories got far more coverage. There seems to be a lot of general Apple & iOS bashing these days, so developer sob stories are apparently in vogue now. Gasketball, Outwitters & a perhaps pre-mature Punch Quest article come to mind.

20. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    those are some discouraging numbers there. I'm not too surprised though becuase I've played quite a few games that were really fun and yet only had a few hundred people on the leaderboards. I mean even if it only spent a couple months in development I'd really think the devs of a good game deserve to see 15 or 20 grand in take-home at least... :(