Universal Aftermath - (by TwoHeads Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Devilishly Good, Mar 16, 2010.

1. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    I'd just be happy with more levels.

AI allies and/or friendly peoples would be really neat!

2. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Oh yea that's what I forgot to mention..And that's what I first wanted to say when I came into the thread lol.

Can anyone imagine online co-op? :p
    [Though I guess that'd be pointless since it'd kinda be like a lesser CoD:Zombies]

3. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    If I wanted a game with AI comrades I would play Metal Wars. This game s
    doesn't really reel like that type of system would fit in well.

4. Bdragonst

Bdragonst Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Student
    Japan -> S.Korea -> USA
    #104 Bdragonst, Mar 20, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
    no it'll be awesome! ;)

CoD:Zombies are slow and takes LONG time to get intense lol

Aftermath's Co-op will intense from the beginning until death to all!

the only problem will be... lack of online people.

5. mynameisjesse

mynameisjesse Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    I was a bit sad about how short the game was but now that it's day 2 I'm in looooove with aftermath mode. Man, those red zombies are super intense. I know I've already said it(along with many other people) but pllllease add coop to that mode. Hell, I would like to have that way more than new levels. If it were up to me I would add coop first then enlarge the city. If the city can't be bigger due to hardware restrictions, allow us to walk into buildings and just have a loading screen.

Day 1- great concept but short.
    Day 2- favorite game at the moment.

6. craigums04

craigums04 Member

Oct 27, 2009
    NY, NY
    Yeah... These are my feelings in a nutshell. I was revved up through the first few levels, and then... The whole game's over. Worth the 99c, agreed, but it's going to take something else to get me to come back to it. Maybe further levels with a more episodic feeling to the missions... Right now, each mission kind of has the feel of a survival mode of nonstop waves already. The only real difference is where you have to end up in the process of survival. While the goals are all described differently (plant a charge, grab the fuel, get to this spot), it's all really a matter of running over a green icon.

This engine is really, really promising.

7. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    i'm having trouble with the flashlight. it just seems to sway left to right. any tips? thanks

8. laladanger

laladanger Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Are you using the line control on the right side and holding it to rotate around to the place you want?

9. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Wow, not sure how you guys got through the whole game in 10 minutes or whatever. It seems fairly hard to me. I died twice on level 3 and am taking a break now. Very cool game. Great value at 1 dollar.

10. NBM05

NBM05 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    While there are things about the game I like, I hate the controls.

I like that it takes a moment for the character to turn and that he can't instantly go from north to south without pasing through the directions between, but I feel the way the controls implement that aspect is terrible.

There's no reason the game couldn't still take time for your character to turn while using the much more precise and familar dual stick control method. With this method, the game is artificially hard because you're fighting the controls as much as the enemies. As for calling this control scheme more realistic, I'd say no. Having the character turn through all the angles is realistic, making it artificially difficult to get the character to face the direction you want is not realistic unless the character is supposed to be really drunk.

Less important, but I'd prefer if there were a fixed number of zombies on the story mode levels rather than the constant rapid spawning on all sides, but others might not agree. If the controls were better I'd probably still enjoy the game, but as is I'm deleting it after four levels. It has potential, but right now (to me) it's more frustrating than fin.

11. Eraser74

Eraser74 Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Hamburg
    Have to agree, the controls are quite hard. I found turning a bit unresponsive, it was sometimes hard to focus on one zombie because I would always oversteer and then had to readjust.

But it´s a good game for a buck. The controls should really be fleshed out in another update.

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I've had no trouble with the controls and feel like they allow for more deliberate movement than with a dual stick. And no, I don't feel like the game is artificially hard because of the controls -- it gets hard when you get overwhelmed by zombies or when you don't plan your route to the objective.

13. Hdsn21

Hdsn21 Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2010
    I bought this app a few days ago and I've been loving it so far. For only $.99 it's a steal in my opinion. Maybe as an update the dev could focus on making it more of a city with interacting the buildings a bit more (like you can walk inside some)? I know it would be a lot of development time but I think it would be an incredible addition. Also tweak the controls to a traditional dual stick. In the end, a definite buy, even at $1.99.

14. john12345172

john12345172 New Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Game Impressions

It's awesome. Is it just me, or are the fat zombies slightly hard to kill?

15. jerry hunter

jerry hunter Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2010
    KIK,amazing game,but also tough!:)

16. mynameisjesse

mynameisjesse Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Please don't change the controls. I find once you're used to them they tend to work better than the traditional dual stick layout. If anything, have dual sticks as an option for those who want them.

17. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Yep - they obviously have more health. I think the red ones are the toughest though - so damn fast. I just finished the campaign last night. The final mission is definitely the toughest. Great game all around though.

18. TwoHeads

TwoHeads Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Hi All,

Thanks for the suggestions and opinions. Before I give my 2 cents about control strategies I'd just like to apologise for not making it clear enough that the final, open-ended challenge mode level "Aftermath" is actually always available - it doesn't need to be unlocked by completing the story levels. Looking at the OF Leaderboard totals I see that out of 6105 players who've submitted scores for the first level (less than the total number of App Store purchases, interestingly...), only 538 have played the challenge level. This is pretty convincing evidence that most people haven't realised it's available immediately! Entirely my fault of course, and I'll be working to create a more obvious separation between Story and Challenge levels in v1.1.

It was always my intention with Aftermath not to make a standard twin-stick shooter, to try to find an iDevice-friendly way to bridge the gap between "twin-stick" and console 3rd-person shooters. I know that the solution I came up with won't appeal to all but there are problems with the fixed camera-angle "Minigore" controls when the player character is in a dense environment like Aftermath's city. I want people to play Aftermath competitively but I think its key virtue is in the sense of place, of tension, that it evokes and I think that fixing the camera behind the player (like traditional 3rd-person shooters) is the only way to maintain that.

For those that are having problems with the controls, I'd suggest experimenting with the Control Sensitivity slider in the Options menu - you may find a setting more to your taste.

Please hit me with any more ideas you have about the control scheme (or anything else!) - I'd love to include alternate control schemes that complement the rest of the game.

Cheers,

Peter

19. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Wow, good to know...count me as one of the people who thought the survival mode had to be unlocked. :eek:

20. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    yup me too lmao