Help getting my game ideas created.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by OneHitGamer, Jan 23, 2013.

1. OneHitGamer

OneHitGamer Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Game Developer
    Florida
    I'm no coder, only an artist. So I cannot put a game together on my own. My question is this, how then do I get it out there? I have the game designed, idea and style all sketched up. What now? Do I contact a developer that I think would be able to build it? Do I post here and hope a Dev will pick it up? What do I do to prevent someone from stealing it? I suppose paying for copyright would be good.

I dunno. The game ideas I have are unique and never have been done. I'm "beast mode" when it comes to designing things, art, story etc. and I know they will be heavy hitters. I just don't know the steps to take in order to track down a team that will build it.

I thought of contacting chillingo, as they publish a lot of people's work and I figured they could get me in contact with some devs. Or simply tracking down a Dev that designed their own game in the style and programming that I think will best suit my games and asking them.

Either way, my question is how can a creator who cannot code get his games out there.

Sketch
    OneHitGamer Creator

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    #2 MidianGTX, Jan 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
    The way I see it, there are two ways you could get involved. The first is obvious, pay a coder a ton of money. If they're on your payroll, and the pay is good, you'll get whatever you want out of them.

The second would be to advertise yourself as an artist. If you're good at what you do, you might find yourself getting paid to help people with their own game ideas. You'll probably have to do a few jobs and make some friends before anyone will look at you as a partner rather than just some guy they hired, but you'll be getting into the business, making a name for yourself and earning a bit of money at the same time.

The thing we hear a lot around here is that in general, people aren't that interested in your ideas. They might be good, but every developer also has his own ideas he wants to put into practise. Anyone can have an idea and they're the essentially the lowest value commodity around. All a developer would have to do is start a thread titled "games ideas" and they'll come flooding in. So if you want to talk serious business you're gonna need to have talent in a more practical area and use that to your advantage.

If you have a really professional-looking game plan all packaged up, concept art done, business plan laid out, etc, you might be lucky enough to find someone who's interested, but it's a longer shot than the two methods I mentioned.

3. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    The way I see it, OneHitGamer, doesn't only have an idea for the game, but is also a good artist. I suggest you try and hook up with some programmer for collaboration on the project.

Good luck.

4. opsive

opsive Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    I've seen this question come up a few times on the Unity forums. In addition to what was said above, another thing that you can try is to exchange services with a programmer. You make a model for the programmer's game, the programmer makes a script for your game.

I don't remember the exact thread that I saw that suggestion, but here is a similar thread. The most common answer is to pay them.

If you are using Unity, another idea is to get a starter pack from the Unity Asset Store in the a genre similar to what your idea is. From that you can put your own art in, and if you pick up a little scripting then you may be able to add your own unique spin on that genre without having to work with somebody else.

5. Yeah, I would also agree with finding someone to exchange your talents with. There are a lot of programmers out there that would love to find a great artist. You could go into in app with a programmer and you could both put forth your work and split the profits.

6. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    You say you're an artist?

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=175033

This developer of this app, in question, could use someone with artistic experience. From Dexx, I can tell he has his gameplay ideas in the right place and spirit, but he could undeniably learn a thing or two about art style and such!

Maybe get in touch with him and see if he's interested? :cool:

7. OneHitGamer

OneHitGamer Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Game Developer
    Florida
    I thought of two ways, let me know what you guys think.

One, find app games that are designed by some guy in his moms basement, but look promising and has crappy visuals. Contact them and even send samples of their game "reworked" and see if he will let you join the team.

Second, I live near "full sail" college that is in Orlando Florida. Why couldn't I go and seek out game designers, coders and such and present my stuff to a few? Basicaly meet n greet some college game designers and start a team up. I dunno if the collee would allow me to seek them out but no doubt I could hit a full sail forum and get started. This way te team actually lives near by and we could physically meet and do our thing.

8. battletictactoepro

Jan 29, 2013
    You can hire a developer to develop your app. There are a lot of developers that you can find in sites like elance and many other sites. But be careful not all developers are good. Ask the developer some of their previous projects and you can tell from previous projects if they are good or not.

Also you don't need to woory about somebody stealing your idea. Everybody think their ideas are the best but the market will think differently. There is a form called NDA (Non Disclosure Agreement) that can protect your idea. Ask your developer to sign this first before discussing your idea. They know about this form and they are happy to sign it.