Mad Agents - Sales Statistics (and piracy)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by StartledMonocle, May 30, 2013.

1. I released a 99cent universal app for iOS on May 19th and wanted to share my sales statistics to help anyone else looking to gauge their own sales projections.

What caliber of game is it? Here are a quotes of reviews from Touch Arcade forum moderators about Mad Agents:

"the game itself is brilliant" - psj3809, TouchArcade Moderator

"I'm really, really digging the game." -metalcasket, TouchArcade Moderator

"This is definitely one of my favorite games of the year so far." syntheticvoid, TouchArcade Forums

So how well does a 'brilliant' (albeit poorly marketed) iOS game do? Here are the numbers...

May 19: 13 sales, thanks to a Touch Arcade 'Take One For The Team' Feature. Thanks again guys!
    May 20: 18 sales
    May 21: 9 sales
    May 22: 4 sales
    May 23: 3 sales
    May 24: 0 sales
    May 25: 1 sale
    May 26: 3 sales
    May 27: 0 sales
    May 28: 2 sales

In addition, Flurry analytics tells me I received 750 additional downloads, mostly from China, that did not go through the Apple App Store (these downloads were pirated), hence I don't get paid for those. But that's the cost of doing business digital distribution style. Hope this info helps some of my fellow indie devs looking to boot strap a niche game on the iOS platform.

2. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Wow - proper sad. I can see why minter moved on. This plays like a charm especially on smaller devices too.

3. Marco1

Marco1 Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    It would appear that making a game for iOS is not what people think.
    If Apple don't sort this out then the app market will crash and take their devices with it.

4. #4 StartledMonocle, May 30, 2013
    Last edited: May 30, 2013
    Thanks for your feedback. :) Who is minter?

@Marco1 I too agree that Apple could do more to help niche apps find their target more easily. I was thinking about integrating facebook APIs with my app and taking advantage of their social network driven 'App Center.' I haven't heard much good or bad about it, so it'll be an interesting area to explore.

5. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Sorry, Jeff Minter (Llamasoft). He seemed proper excited when starting out on iOS but just couldn't make ends meet. For me, he made probably the best games of his life but iOS has to be a Volume business with the price point and unfortunately niche and volume just don't go hand in hand the majority of the time. Loving Mad Agents though. Hope it finds some kind of audience or becomes your critically acclaimed first album.

6. Oh that's a bummer, shame to see good devs fail for reasons other than technical and artistic merit. Thanks for the encouragement. I've got a nice expensive Business degree under my belt so perhaps it's time for me to work out that muscle and start exploring ways for niche iOS games to succeed without price gauging the players you're looking to serve

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Very sad to hear that. Send promo codes to app magazines or retro gamer as they feature retro style app reviews.

It's a great retro style game, can't believe more people haven't picked it up

8. I will definitely do more of that, psj3809. I've seen you on other forums promoting the game, which help tremendously, seeing as to how I've dropped the ball :) I have a day job so I can afford to create at least a couple more games before my wife starts demanding kids =P.

9. darkprophet2088

darkprophet2088 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2012
    aww crap. does that mean that Mad Agents is gone for good? im saddened that im coming late to this thread and unfortunate news. Mad Agents was an excellent game and i wish that the word would have spread. i didn't know that Mad Agents wasn't doing too well, otherwise i would have purchased and promoted the game instead of totally forgetting about it and just now remembering...