Switch Frenzy (a fast paced arcade game) beta testers needed!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by thisguise, Apr 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thisguise

thisguise Member

Apr 9, 2011
    London
    Myself and a buddy are working on our first indie game, its called Switch Frenzy.

It’s a simple high-score driven arcade game. It’s fast paced and gamecentre enabled so we would massively appreciate anyone willing to help us beta test it and find bugs, try and break it, post lots of scores to the leaderboards, gain achievements, provide general feedback (creative/technical etc) – the usual beta testing lark

Here are a few screenshots

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

We’re using Test Flight to distribute the beta which is pretty slick and will allow you to directly install it on your device over the air.

So, if you have an iPhone 3GS or 4

1. Go here: http://bit.ly/e41Slm
    2. Register an account
    3. Follow the instructions emailed to you (on your device)
    4. Sit back and wait. We’ll notify you when the beta version is available to download (probably tomorrow)
    5. Switch some goddamn switches!

2. saiyukialex

saiyukialex Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Shanghai, China
  3. thisguise

thisguise Member

Apr 9, 2011
    London
    Thanks! The first build is available to play now

We still have plenty of spots left if anyone else is interested in signing up

4. n1kn4k

n1kn4k Active Member

Mar 27, 2011
    thanks, i applied..

5. phattestfatty

phattestfatty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Wait, I went to the link, made an account, registered my device, and now I have some testflight app on my ipod. How do I get the beta build? also, how do you want the feedback? PM? Email? forum?

6. Cmdr_Overscore

Cmdr_Overscore Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    it's only the newer iPhones for the current beta, I think

7. phattestfatty

Mar 9, 2010
    no 4th gen ipod? cause that's the same thing as iphone..... I'm pretty sure 4th gen ipod would work....

8. Cmdr_Overscore

Cmdr_Overscore Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    well yeah same hardware specs but software is slightly different e.g. you download a different iOS update file for ipod touch than the iphone. These guys might not have fixed it up for your ipod yet.

9. nelkon and parker

Apr 11, 2011
    Hi guys. I'm one of the developers for Switch Frenzy, just here to clarify some of the points.

You can sign up if you are using an iPod 4th Gen device, but please upgrade to the latest OS if possible.

At the moment iPad devices are not supported. This will be introduced when 3GS support is added to the Beta (disabled right now due to funky looking assets - most likely available in a weeks time).

Once you are registered, you will receive an email when a Beta build is read for you to play with. The builds don't become immediately available as we need to register your device with the build first.

Feedback can be given in whatever manner is easiest for you. You can provide feedback via:
    - email [email protected]
    - post here
    - twitter @breadengine
    - leave a comment at out blog http://www.breadengine.com/blog/

If you guys have any other questions, just chuck 'em right at us. Thanks for the help, and we hope you have fun! :)

10. phattestfatty

Mar 9, 2010
    Great! I got the build late last night and have tried it out. I like to make a list of stuff and send it in an email if that's okay? There are some things that I believe really need attention (relating to Gamecenter) but I'm kind of busy today and tomorrow. I'll try to send it wednesday along with some more feedback :)

11. nelkon and parker

Apr 11, 2011
    That would be perfect, thanks. Any feedback is appreciated.

12. phattestfatty

Mar 9, 2010
    sorry about the late reply, I just sent the email.

13. Xyo

Xyo Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Game seems interesting, too bad I missed the beta deadline.

14. melvin2898

melvin2898 Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2011
    Game is awesome but....

There's no pause button during the game.
    I can't hear anything. I think there's no sounds or music.
    Different modes to mix it up?
    I like the game. You just need to fix a few things.

15. saiyukialex

saiyukialex Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Shanghai, China
    I have emailed the dev the same thing. But no reply and not in the latest v1.5

16. nelkon and parker

Apr 11, 2011
    Hi guys, thanks for the feedback. We are absolutely listening to all comments we are receiving. We have quite a few beta testers on at the moment, which is why we have thus far not replied directly to feedback.

To cover a few points, we are absolutely intending to activate both music and pause into future builds. Our current goal is to iron out all the bugs related to the available modes at the moment before we expose additional functionality. Once that is complete (which should be within the next 2 weeks if no other showstoppers arise), we will be activating a new piece of functionality which is currently hidden from the build - and it should be great fun.

We also absolutely intend to introduce the ability to pause the game in the future, but due to the quick nature of the game we want to first focus on new modes, and balancing the difficulty of the current modes.

No promises just yet, but we may open up beta testing again at some point. If that happens we'll notify everyone within this thread.

Thanks again!

17. phattestfatty

Mar 9, 2010
    ....I would at least like to know what is up with the gamecenter new account thing that I emailed you guys about? is that just because it is in beta right now?

18. nelkon and parker

Apr 11, 2011
    Yes it is, we did send out a small description to the tester's about this, but I think it may have got buried with all the testflight changelogs.

Essentially, Apple make non-live apps point to a 'test' gamecenter server. This test server does not share its user accounts with the 'live' server. It makes sense, as your scoring and achievements will constantly be changing as you develop.

So, the way this is handled, is you need to first use the GameCenter app to sign out. Then you start Switch Frenzy. When prompted with a log in, you need to only create a 'test' account once. Once this account is made, it exists on the test server. You will then be communicating to this test server until you log back out from the GameCenter app. So, once you're done with Switch Frenzy, just log out using the GameCenter app, and use any other app you have to log into the 'live' server.

If you want to double check that you are indeed logging into the 'test' server after logging in with Switch Frenzy, you can go back to the GameCenter app and you will notice at the bottom left it will say 'Sandbox'.

I know the above is a bit convoluted, but unfortunately that is the only way Apple let us test GameCenter support until the app is live.

19. phattestfatty

Mar 9, 2010
    oh, I've never test a game with gamecenter before so I was kind of confused. :p Other than that, it seems really polished and gameplay is good... other than the things listed above, more modes/ powerups is really all it need. :D