From the makers of Mega Jump comes Mega Run!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by crex, Mar 8, 2011.

1. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    [​IMG]
    From AppAdvice:

2. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Awesome. Hopefully it's not as hard as Mega Jump.

3. nazara_tech

nazara_tech Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2009
    project manage
    India
    Release date ?

4. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

if it has the same godawful coin system implemented, i'll pass.

5. Cellary

Cellary Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2011
    As characters run automatically, it will be easier than Mega Jump.:)

6. steviebwoy

steviebwoy Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2011
    e-Systems Analyst
    Cornwall, UK
    This looks really nice as a normal platform game. I'm not quite sure I understand all this "automatic running" nonsense. Personally, I much prefer the old-school platformer games like Mario & Sonic (or Pizza Boy & League of Evil on the iOS :))

I enjoyed Canabalt, but everything else just feels like a clone wrapped up in different visuals..

7. pavarotti2007

pavarotti2007 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    UK
    Can't wait for this. Love Mega Jump.

8. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    I love the concept, but if this gets blown like Mega Jump did with increased difficulty, too much stuff onscreen at once, and IAP, then this will suck.

9. jxw245

jxw245 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Texas
    If it's just Mega Jump turned into a endless runner then i'll pass, Mega Jump was alright but they added to much iAP stuff and made it more complex then it needed to be.

10. hotspringfan

hotspringfan Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    I like Mega Jump for it's a great challenge get upgrade and the graphics looks good.

It feels that tap control is easier than tilt control. Looking forward its coming up and video.

11. nickfury

nickfury Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Founder and Creative Director at Get Set Games
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks!

Great to see some really interesting comments from everyone. I'm Nick Coombe, one of the developers at Get Set Games. Mega Run is still in the early stages of development, so we've got plenty of time to refine it. It would be great if I could get some more details on some of the constructive criticism some of you have brought up.

Hi Arta - can you explain which parts of Mega Jump you found the most difficult, or what could have been done differently?

Hopefully in the next couple of months!

Hi Jak - what didn't you like about the coin collecting, or how it could have been done better? Have you tried the latest version of Mega Jump?

A lot of people asked for more challenge as they progressed and enjoyed the new challenges we put into each stage - I take it you prefer a more traditional "endless" play style, where the only thing that changes is the backgrounds, or is it that you feel that the difficulty increased too quickly in Mega Jump?

In terms of "too much stuff onscreen", did you find it hard to see powerups and coins? Did the backgrounds make it hard to see where you needed to go, or was it that it felt like too much was going on, so it felt too hectic and busy/stressful?

IAP is optional in Mega Jump, since you can collect coins to unlock anything. If we didn't have IAP, then the game wouldn't be free. Is there a better way we could do IAP, or do you feel that IAP is bad in general?

We are putting a lot more in to Mega Run that will make it quite different than other games in the running genre - in fact it's more of a cross between running games and more traditional platformers.

As with doodlejumper, do you feel there is a better way we could add IAP (again, it's optional, since you can play to collect MP), or is it that you don't like IAP in general. Would you prefer it if Mega Run was a paid app?

As for complexity, is there a sweet spot between "ordinary" endless running games and more complex platformers that you envision? Which parts of Mega Jump do you feel were too complex or annoying?

We are trying to get a good balance between simple controls, but with more options for the player than Mega Jump. With two buttons, the player will be able to do a lot in Mega Run - jump, double jump, dash and attack, which gives a lot of ways to interact with the environment, enemies, traps and platforms.

Thanks in advance for any advice and feedback you can give - it'll help make Mega Run that much better!

12. dizzydank

dizzydank Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2010
    Assitant Managing Editor - Games, AppTudes; TV/Mov
    portland, ME
    agree with the comment above. Mega Jump was fun (for what it was), but the IAP aspect of it really sucked the fun out.

game looks fantastic graphically, hopefully there is something that separates it from the other 14 million endless runners out there.

13. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    Mega Jump was not free when it was released. I was an early adopter and suddenly that got taken away from me because anything more that I wanted to collect I had to pay for. Only later did you add using the in game coins to unlock some stuff.

I have to admit, the jumping around (no pun intended) that you guys did with the pricing just turned me off completely. I know you were learning and growing but to jerk things around like that was just not nice to the consumer. Maybe the NEW unaware consumer, but not the one that started with you on day one.

For the record I am not against IAP if done correctly. And also have not played the game in eons just well, because it was soured, so maybe you have the absolute perfect balance there is. But for me, the back and forth, 99 cents, free, back to 99 cents, now FREE with IAP, just didn't work.

I am not against sales to build your consumer base, I am against bait and switches though and that is what I felt you did by changing your model. It is obviously working better for you since that is what you stuck with, but as for me I will get a game that I pay for upfront.

14. nickfury

May 3, 2010
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks for the feedback. I hear you. The pricing changes evolved based on player reactions and feedback, and yes, if you were one of the people that originally paid $1 for it at the beginning, I can understand it might be frustrating to see it switch to free.

We're new to the app store (relatively), and we don't have an accounting department pulling the strings or a magical formula that we're following, so there was a lot we had to figure out on our own. We had to learn about pricing, free vs. paid, in app purchases and so on, and the only way to figure those things out is to actually try them. We feel like we have a much better idea of how things work now, after a few bumpy months with Mega Jump at the beginning, so it's unlikely that you'll see those fluctuations with Mega Run.

We also feel that we've struck a good balance between IAP and playing to unlock items. If you ignore IAP completely, you can play Mega Jump kind of like an RPG, collecting coins and using them to unlock better upgrades without paying a cent, so nothing is locked for anyone who doesn't want to pay to unlock items.

The reaction to this when we put it in was so positive that we're aiming to have a similar leveling-up/upgrade path in Mega Run. It keeps the game fresh and gives people goals to play for, so there will always be something new to unlock and new ways to play the game.

15. jxw245

jxw245 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Texas
    Glad to here it just won't be Mega Jump made horizontally. It's not that i don't like iAP i just got annoyed with every update being more stuff for us to buy. I think if it was free with some iAP's that not only helped you advanced in the game, but that added features or like the characters in Mega Jump then i'd be more tempted to buy iAP's versus if it was .99 then i wouldn't want to put that much more money into a app.

Yes, there could be a sweet spot, with Mega Jump i got annoyed buy constantly adding new power ups and every new stage adding more obstacles, i would have enjoyed it more if it were just the same 3 or 4 power ups and obstacles, how about a way to choose what power ups you want? like different power up slots and you can choose which ones you want? that way you can still have the variety of many power ups but add the challenge of deciding which will be best for each stage.

16. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    I love the original minus the iap so I'm very much interested in this adaption. Hope it comes out soon.

17. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    My main complaint with Mega Jump is that I felt like I was smacked with a giant billboard of ads everytime I played the game, and thus I took it off my phone pretty quickly. I think the model that you guys eventually settled on was good, and I understand that the devs need to earn money, but I don't need "buy this/that" buttons on every other screen, covering every inch of free space.

18. nickfury

May 3, 2010
    Toronto, Canada
    Aside from powerups, which both help you advance and add fun and variety to the game, what kind of items are you thinking of? Also, do you mean you would like to see more characters, or abilities for the characters?

We debated this a while ago and realized it would create too much of an imbalance in the gameplay - a big part of Mega Jump is dealing with the random nature of the powerups, and playing the the strengths of each one. Since the big powerup overhaul, all the powerups are now really useful and/or awesome too, so there aren't really any "bad" powerups any more.

We have tried hard to make Mega Jump feel like a paid app, and avoid putting in ad banners etc. - can you be specific about where and how you felt you were being advertised to and what we could do better?

As for Mega Run, what do you guys think we should definitely include in terms of gameplay, features or things you love about Mega Jump that you think would work well in Mega Run?

19. jxw245

jxw245 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Texas
    Abilities for characters could work, but i'm more tempted to buy iAP's that will help me advance in a game by adding features or tools not just random power ups here and there. The best example i can think of is the rewind feature in Jelly Car 3, i don't think that would work very well with Mega Jump but it adds a feature to the game to help you progress.

20. nickfury

May 3, 2010
    Toronto, Canada
    Or like the Mighty Eagle in Angry Birds, or the stage hints in Fragger? Something that essentially allows you to skip a stage or complete a stage more easily?