Age of Grit - Steampunk RPG

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by iqSoup, Mar 3, 2014.

1. iqSoup

iqSoup Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Arizona
    #1 iqSoup, Mar 3, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
    Please help Age of Grit get Kickstarted.

Howdy!

Andy here from indie game studio iqSoup. We're currently working on a steampunk video game: Age of Grit. It'll be an RPG for iPad as well as PC and Mac. We are developing for all three platforms simultaneously--we want the iPad version to be just as polished as the PC and Mac versions. The game is currently in the early stages of development and we'll be having a Kickstarter in a few weeks to try to raise some funding.

In Age of Grit you play as the captain of a beat-up old steampunk airship. You and your crew smuggle goods, hunt down outlaws, and generally fight for what’s right…as long as it pays well of course. Your adventures are set in a heavily cowboy-inspired world, rich with steampunk and clockwork based technology. Its very important to us that the world feels "lived in" and is complete with an extensive history and lore. The people of the world will have a lot of nuance and depth--a major focus of AOG is for players to have both compelling and meaning interactions with the characters they encounter. NPCs will be more than just bland quest givers with exclamation points floating over their heads--they'll be engaging characters, each with a story of their own.

We have an exciting team--some really talented artists and programmers--and the venerable BeatScribe will be working on the original soundtrack for us.

Below is some of the early concept art. Yonder on over to iqsoup.com or facebook.com/iqsoup to see some more artwork and learn a bit more about the game.

Please leave comments below! We really want this game to be awesome so we welcome all the feedback we can get!!! Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Will this really be iPad only? What about the huge iPhone only marketplace?

3. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    This sounds too awesome.. Hope it makes it's way to iPhone

4. iqSoup

iqSoup Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Arizona
    My only concern with iPhone is the screen size might be too small for the UI. We might be able to figure something out though. Its certainly something we are considering and trying to sort out. I know there are a ton of iPhone only gamers and I'm sure lots of them would love this game.

5. iqSoup

iqSoup Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Arizona
    Started another forum about the iPad only issue: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=3154454#post3154454

Got some really great feedback! I'm going to do everything I can to get this working on iPhone rather than just iPad. I think a universal app appeals to a boarder audience and it also gives people the freedom to choose which platform they want to play it on.

6. iqSoup

iqSoup Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Arizona
    Need Some Feedback - Age of Grit (cowboy airship RPG)

I'm working on a game called Age of Grit and I could really use some feedback. I find it EXTREMELY helpful to get as much feedback as possible even at the earliest stages of development. Take a look and let me know what you think! Does this game appeal to you? If so why and if not why not? What do you like and what don't you like?

Thanks so much! Any feedback--positive or negative--will help me out big time!

7. one.sixty.four

one.sixty.four Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    minnesota
    This looks awesome, is it point and click or not?

8. iqSoup

iqSoup Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Arizona
    The game has been designed from the ground up as a mouse/touch driven game. We don't want to make compromises when it comes to mobile devices. On Mac and PC we might add a few keyboard shortcuts for convenience sake, but the idea is you could play the entire game with just a mouse or just a touch screen.

9. qdiddy

qdiddy Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2014
    I think he meant the type of gameplay. What gameplay will it have?

10. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Sounds very promising, plus Steampunk -> will keep an eye on it.
    Best of luck with the Kickstarter!

11. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    It's a.w.e.s.o.m.e!!!!!!

12. iqSoup

iqSoup Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Arizona
    The game will really focus on dialog, choices, and character interaction. Combat will be use strategy focused ship to ship turn based system. Here's a quote from the Age of Grit Kickstarter:

The combat in Age of Grit revolves around managing your airship's steam pressure. Your ship is steam powered, and all its systems require steam to function. You won't have enough steam pressure to run everything at maximum output. You'll have to prioritize systems strategically if you hope to survive.

Combat is turned based. Each turn your ship produces more steam pressure. You can use that steam pressure to fire specific weapons, repair damage to the ship, make a run for it, raise your defenses--or maybe you'll save it for next round so you can launch one massive coordinated attack against your enemy. Systems can benefit each other and work well when used in conjunction. Rather than one weapon just being definitively more powerful than another, different weapon types have special asymmetrical strengths and weakness.

Beyond managing the ship's mechanical systems, you'll also manage your crew, each of whom has special abilities, buffs, and skills. The combat will get deeper and more complex as the game goes on, but it will all be built on this simple foundation of managing your ship's steam pressure and allocating it wisely.​

13. iqSoup

iqSoup Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Arizona
    Just updated my first post to include the official AOG trailer--which features some of the combat gameplay.

14. iqSoup

iqSoup Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Arizona
    ALMOST reached the 50% mark!!!