The RPG Project

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Gr33nChip, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Gr33nChip

Gr33nChip New Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Hello!

I just wanted to let you know that I am working on a game. I do not have a title for the game yet, so I simply call it "The RPG Project". This game is a tribute to the great games of the old. While it is a homage to those games, it is, and it offers a unique gaming experience, story and graphics.

I think the biggest and the most unique feature of this game is that it is both 2D and 3D. When you view it top-down it is in 2D, but when you change the view it changes to a first-person 3D perspective. (See the attached .gif image)

[​IMG]

Please tell me, what do you think about the switching view feature?

Also, is it pointless to pursue the nostalgic atmosphere with those kind of graphics or not?

For more information you can visit Gr33nChip.com (FYI, the website launched today) or ask questions here, and I will do my best to answer them.

Gr33nChip

2. swisssk8er1

swisssk8er1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 12, 2011
    Does changing the view give any advantage/disatvantage in the gameplay? It's an interesting idea, but I don't understand why I should care about switching the view. Is it more about letting you chose which prefer? What is the actual gameplay going to be like? Is the combat turn based or real time?

3. repapermunky

repapermunky Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    The old school 2D graphics are worth working with, because there's not too much like THAT in the store, but those 3D graphics there don't really bring much nostalgic memories back for me; as opposed to Doom.

4. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    #4 Primoz, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
    [deleted]

5. Gr33nChip

Gr33nChip New Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Good question. The game was primarily only in the 2D top-down view, but I realized that it took only a little bit more work to make a 3D first-person view as well. It's really just about how you prefer to play the game. There are no real advantages to either view, but in the top-down view you can see what's going on behind your back. The UI changes with the view as well. I don't want to make ranged weapons easy to use, and I've seen a lot of people complaining when it comes to precision in top-down games. I figured some people might find ranged weapons easier to use in the first person view. Also, the experience is quite different from which view you choose.

The game itself is open-world (with dungeons), and real-time combat.

Thank you for the comment. I think it could be quite nostalgic to Wolfenstein 3D fans :)