Game runs slow on iPhone 3gs

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by csddavies, Feb 23, 2010.

1. csddavies

csddavies Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Westerville, OH
    I just released a game to the App Store. Some 3gs users are seeing substantially lower frame-rates. I have a friend with a 3gs and the came crawls compared to my iPod Touch 2g that I test on. Turning on airplane mode did not help. On another friend's 3gs we went into my settings page and turned background music off and returned to game. It then ran fine so we went back into setting and turned music back on and it continued to run fine. Strange! Is there some power saving mode on the 3gs that is causing things to slow down? Help! I'm running a promotion soon, but won't if there is a real issue here.

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Have they updated to the most recent firmware? There was a bug back in 3.0 that cause the exact problem you are describing (something to do with the way sound was coded).

3. csddavies

Nov 20, 2009
    Westerville, OH
    Ya, unfortunately they are running the latest. And it doesn't make sense that turning it off and back on would fix the jitter/lag.

4. Fruho

Fruho Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Gameloft Employee
    Under Your Bed
    Maybe just a temporary glitch....test it on many 3GS, and if the problem pops up frequently then u have an issue, maybe with the way u coded the sound or something. But if it was just with the 3GS, I wouldn't worry

5. csddavies

Nov 20, 2009
    Westerville, OH
    Turns out in the 3.1 sdk you are suppose to use CADisplayLink to setup your draw loop instead of NSTimer. I changed this for people running OS3.1 and above. It smooths things right out. I submitted the update to Tramp Stamp (and Lite) to Apple tonite. Thanks for the feedback.