game idea, learn to create or hire a developer?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by super-villin, Dec 17, 2013.

1. super-villin

super-villin New Member

Dec 17, 2013
    hello!

i have an idea for a game (for iphone/ipad android), i have no problem making the minimal graphics for the game, however, i have very little knowledge how to create, test, submit and host a game.

looking for advice if this would be difficult to make or if i should try to contact a developer to create the game (and about how much it would cost)?

Gameplay
    *player opens a new game
    *player sets start date and time
    *player sets duration (minute, hour or days)
    *players selects other players to invite
    *players join in and at designated start time game/timer starts
    *each player then has an option menu (checklist and scoreboard)

Checklist Screen
    *on the checklist menu are 20 to 30 items for the player to check
    *as the day goes on each player checks and submits from the checklist
    *each player gets a message saying what each player has checked and how many points they received

Scoreboard Screen
    *the score board keeps score updated in real time
    *the scorebaord keeps the score of each player and a summary of what each player has checked

*once the timer is up a message is sent to all players saying who won
    *the scoreboard is also updated with the final score and summary of each players checked list items

any help is greatly appreciated!

2. RaindropGames

RaindropGames Active Member

I'm unclear on what the core game mechanic is. It is good to document your idea, you may need to flesh out the core or perhaps try creating gameplay experiments to see where it goes.

If you want to consider hiring a developer, be aware even the simplest games take a lot of work and will be at least thousands of dollars (if you hire a professional).

Personally I recommend learning game development but this depends on your desire and aptitude for programming and system design/game design.

3. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    I too am unsure of what the core mechanic is.

The answer to your question is based on a range of things including your technical ability and budget.

4. super-villin

super-villin New Member

Dec 17, 2013
    thank you for your replies. the core mechanics rely on people in similar situations checking off awkward things that happen to them as they are both in the same situation, people relating to being in the same awkward situation would find humor in relating with others in that same situation. a bit difficult to explain without giving out the entire game idea, haha.

i wonder if there is a third option? since i dont have much in the way of any kind of budget and i dont have the programming skills. would it be a good idea to put up a private webpage with the idea and images of what i hope to create and send the idea to developers with the offer of creating the game and splitting the profit 50/50? considering they are interested and consider the idea solid.

again thank you for any advice and ideas!

5. ryansumo

ryansumo Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Freelance artist
    Manila
    If you have the time and money, learn to code. If you only have money, hire. It's that simple really. :)

6. RaindropGames

This sounds more like a web app than a game. I don't mean that as a bad thing, just an initial impression. Web apps tend to be easier up front but come with their own set of headaches, especially when you need to scale it up.

I agree with the other responder, usually you either need to pay or learn to code. I have experience recruiting people for a "share the profits" project and it is VERY difficult to find people for this kind of project. Most of them will flake out. Your idea must also sound really really cool. Even then, most people will flake out.

The difficulty is many developers already have their own game ideas which they want to implement. Other than making money to pay the bills, there is no incentive for them to work on your idea unless they think it is much better than their own.

7. Appvism

Appvism Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2013
    UK
    Since you mentioned the use of minimalist graphics, and it sounds like a 2D game/app rather than 3D one, then if you have the time, try and learn to code.

Perhaps initially try it in your spare time to learn. I currently use something Corona SDK, which may be suitable for you and this uses the scripting language Lua, which is in my opinion bit easy to grasp and learn. Also, Corona will allow for multiple platform distribution from the one codebase (at a cost of course! - I'm only focusing on iOS right now).

Good luck!

8. super-villin

super-villin New Member

Dec 17, 2013
    thank you again for all the great replies.

raindropgames, i'm not sure why i didnt think of a web app version first, then move into a possible phone app version of the game, great suggestion thank you very much.

at this point with very minimal start up and code experience it might be best for me to start with a webb app game (which i feel much more comfortable creating) then moving into a phone app game.

i contacted a professional developer with the game idea and as many of you already posted his reply was what you all had mentioned, though he did give some really great insights, which at this point i'm really looking for.

quote from email with a professional game developer
    so i'l head back to the drawingboard and plan a web game first and if it creates enough popularity i will move into a phone game app.

again any suggestions and ideas are greatly appreciated. i had not thought of the idea of making a web app first. which at least temporarily people can still play on their phone with friends just through browser not a phone app. still i think that would work great, thanks raindropgames for the great suggestion!

9. RaindropGames

You're welcome, glad I could be helpful. Good luck!