Barren Roads: Multiplayer Apocalypse Fallout/DayZ Survival Game iOS

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by voncarp, Jul 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. No apologies needed. 20 people is what I feel like the devices can handle in one online session. Based on testing, thats what I think will work before performance issues set in. I am capping my test server at 20 people. IM me or add me twitter. If you can't get on my test server you can test single player.

As of now, the player you create can be used however you like, wherever you like. Yes, if he dies he is gone where ever you play. Non negotiable. I do foresee problems with this and may adjust as necessary. We'll see. That's what beta tests are for.

There is no subscription and it won't be free. One time purchase. I am only going to provide a limited amount of official servers. But, I have files that you can download and create and manage your own servers. I feel that will give players the freedom to play Barren Roads the way they want to and who they want to with.

2. Five platforms: iOS, Android, Mac, PC, and Linux.

One game: Survival: Barren Roads.

If you can read this post, good chance you can play this game.

iOS screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Woodrith

Woodrith Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Hooaah
    Outerbounds
    #123 Woodrith, Nov 4, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
    Well there goes my drinking money and time when this comes out! :)

I think the servers can work great if a good community is built around this, a place on your website to meet new people and go kill them!

4. Jamesrooney27

Jamesrooney27 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    Male
    Uk
    So exited looks good can't wait to play it

5. CL1NT_B3ASTW00D

CL1NT_B3ASTW00D Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2014
    Dat FAMAS doe.

6. Woodrith

Oct 4, 2014
    Hooaah
    Outerbounds
    Story

this is for everyone that follows the thread or is interested in the game. What kind of story elements do you guys like, especially for a multiplayer game? Does it matter? Or do people like those type of Easter eggs or snippets (i.e. newspaper clippings, diary pages, notes, graffiti on walls) give hints about what happened and what's going on in the world? Just curious.

7. FireSkullOfDeath

Jun 21, 2014
    Team Deathmatch and Free For All.... About 12 players each map for multiplayer, and maybe for another type of multiplayer category 6 random players against 6 A.I. Zombies for multiplayer....

8. Woodrith

Oct 4, 2014
    Hooaah
    Outerbounds
    I meant story elements within the multiplayer, if people like having some type of story within the game.

As far as team play, the dev has said up to 20 players can be in one game, it's more like dayz where the other players may or may not be friendly to you. You should be able to set up your own games, so people you want can join in instead of random people, so you can pretty much set up the game how you want.

9. FireSkullOfDeath

Jun 21, 2014
    #129 FireSkullOfDeath, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
    Oh sorry.... A story involving the multiplayer aspect of the game?

10. CL1NT_B3ASTW00D

CL1NT_B3ASTW00D Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2014
    I prefer enviormental storyline rather then just straight exposition. The Last Of Us,the original Bioshock and Deus Ex:HR are great recent examples of single player environmental storytelling. As for an example of this in a multiplayer survival game? Take a look at "Miscreated"

11. Woodrith

Oct 4, 2014
    Hooaah
    Outerbounds
    Awesome, I agree, the environment can provide you the meat of the story without forcing it on you every minute. Thanks for the feedback.

12. Woodrith

Oct 4, 2014
    Hooaah
    Outerbounds
    So Voncarp the dev let me sneak a quick peak. Basically think of it as a in your pocket, tablet, or Mac dayz in a fallout world multiplayer. The game is huge, miles of it! If you see it, you can definitely walk to it, with loot of all kinds to find. The world is barren but from what I could see it's broken up by hills and buildings, broken down vehicles, ect.

[​IMG] awesome, thirsty in a barren landscape, not my day....

The game is still in alpha condition, but the dev is working on getting to a stable beta to let more people test it. Is it buggy and occasionally crash? Yes. But it's even more thrilling the first zombie kill you have or when you jump as a zombie growls in your ear. The dev seems genuine in working out the bugs, listening to people's opinions, and getting a functional game out the door. Am I a total fan boy right now? Yes, but come on, who isn't ready to get this baby on their iPad?

[​IMG]Sometimes all you have is trusty beans...now where in the hell did I leave that can opener?

Voncarp still has a lot to add, but I'm definitely excited to see what this title could bring. If dayz is any indication, it will be a lot of kill first, loot later kind of thing. So much for believing in the best of people :) For a one man dev team, gotta give him props, regardless of how this game ends up.

13. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Thanks for that^^^ and believe me...I'm nothing but excited for this monumental undertaking. If these devs were to proposition me for a good faith contribution to allow them to continue/more quickly dev this beast, if make my ol' lady tear one of her credit cards outta her purse quicker than a Black Friday iPhone 6+ sale ;)

14. Krizzle1

Krizzle1 Member

Nov 2, 2014
    I've been wanting to test this out for a while now...think the dev is going to push out a TestFlight build in a week or so to selected people (hopefully).

This is definitely a game to keep an eye on, got high hopes for it :D

15. Takeo_Masaki

Takeo_Masaki Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Student
    England
    I didn't even know about this game till now looks mint! Like someone else said between this and the wild... TPS survival vs FPS survival can't wait#

16. Takeo_Masaki

Takeo_Masaki Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Student
    England
    Oh and can u drive vehicles like unturned and stuff

17. NexusInfinity

NexusInfinity Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Graphics look a little rough but pretty good fer one man

18. drrobert

drrobert Member

Nov 15, 2014
    Looks incredible for a 1 man team,Though I wish more people would be involved and make a better game.

19. Thanks for that! I'm doing my best to quickly make this thing as fast as I can. Purchasing Barren Roads on release would be all I ask and appreciated.

I have considered Kickstarter, but I have mixed feelings about Kickstarter. The only reason I would use Kickstarter is for additional exposure, since I am not all that great at marketing and the ability to provide more servers. There are several ways to play Barren Roads online, but personally I think the best way is to have servers already available for gamers. Particularly, 24 hour dedicated servers.

Thanks for the twitter add!

20. Thanks! I think it will be a pretty decent game :p I have had pretty good response and feedback from the few that have tested it. I can't wait to get it in everyones hands.

Yeah, I'm not the best with graphics. But, I hope to make up for it with a giant online world that 20 people can play at one time with iOS devices. I can't think of any other action iOS game that does that.

Remember, online Barren Roads works Mac vs Pc vs iOS vs Linux vs Android. As far as I know, I have the only game that does that.