Naming your game/app using numbers & letters?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Appvism, Apr 21, 2013.

?

Is mixing numbers and letters a good idea?

1. Yes. It's a great idea.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No. Don't do it.

18 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Appvism

Appvism Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2013
    UK
    Hi all,

Quick question about naming an app and would like to know what you guys think...

How do you feel about naming a game/app using numbers in place of vowels, so the name is a mixture of letters and numbers? Pros and cons? Do you think this would help differentiate or provide some uniqueness to the game/app in question even though from an app store optimisation point of view it may be less favourable/searchable?

As an example, i''m currently building a prototype which i've provisionally called: Letter Maths. The name is quite generic, though it does describe the app rather appropriately! I was considering the idea of calling it: L3tt3r M4ths instead.

What do you think? Also alternatively, in this example, would i be able to name the app Letter Maths during submission but in the menu screen of the app itself use L3tt3r M4ths instead?

Appreciate any opinions on this, thanks!

2. Rainier

Rainier Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    On top of being annoying, you'll probably never get a download with a name like that given the importance of the app's title when it comes to being discovered by typical searches. App discovery is tough enough as it is, and you need to make it as simple as possible for people to find your app. You would be doing the opposite by giving it a mixture of text and numbers in a way that almost nobody would ever type into a search box.

I modified the name of my app as well as the keywords to make it as simple as possible to find, and it's resulted in about a 100% increase in the daily downloads. 50% of the increase came from the name change to be simpler and letting people know what the app did in the title, and the other 50% came from improved keywords.

Move away from the ledge, my friend. :)

3. ThreeCubes

ThreeCubes Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    I think for some things it can work like well known titles (F3AR)but educational software and stuff people will only find by searching its not a great idea

4. CrystalFortress

CrystalFortress Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2013
    I do not think it is a good idea. Unless it is very well done or has some reason for being there based in the actual game it looks tacky.

It will also reduce visibility through searches, and someone is unlikely to say to a friend the game is called "example" but with a three instead of the e.

5. Appvism

Appvism Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2013
    UK
    Interesting, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this! Also, thanks fo the poll setup! :)

This idea of perhaps mixing the vowels with numbers was just something i was playing around with, but wasn't too sure so i thought i'd ask! Right now i'm just prototyping right now but should i actually go ahead and see this through, i'll bear in mond your feedback.

Cheers

6. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

Worked for us with Str8ts. Made it very easy for us to trademark the name of the puzzle.
    wouldn't give up on it too quickly.