iPhone Flame of the Deep - Retro Isometric Dungeon Crawler

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by redflame, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Argh, flashbacks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. redflame

redflame Member

Jan 6, 2013
    Thanks. :) Movement will be continuous.

I'm at, basically, a generation or two beyond that - NES era - but those certainly serve as inspiration as well. :)

3. Psiufoxx

Psiufoxx Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    sustainability consulting
    paris (yeah, the one in france)
    Looks fantastic. Can't wait to see more as it develops ;)

4. redflame

redflame Member

Jan 6, 2013
    I haven't posted in a little bit but the game is coming along. Soon I'll post a full update but I'll post a screenshot from the work-in-progress story intro:

[The image is cropped to main graphic only so that it fits the forum style without scaling it down]
    [​IMG]

The "cutscenes" will be told in 8-bit style with hand drawn pixel art scenes, sound and text. No text is shown yet obviously - but I'll post a movie with the story intro soon as well as some gameplay. Note that there is some distortion in the image due to bug(s) in the CRT/scanline shader (you'll see it as errors in the dithering) - but that will be fixed.

5. Psiufoxx

May 25, 2011
    I'm still definitely on board. Have you given thoughts to pricing?

6. redflame

redflame Member

Jan 6, 2013
    Currently I'm thinking $1.99. There will be a lot of content so it should be worth the price. :)

7. Psiufoxx

May 25, 2011
    Nice. I'd lay out $2 for this! Great work so far... Excited to see/experience the end result.

8. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    #28 Aventador, Jan 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
    Will story expand as we progress trough dungeon, as in will there be other NPCs character meets/ rescues , scattered notes / scrolls that tell more story, or is story telling implemented into quests.Also will some kind of bosses be implemented into game ?
    I never played isometric dungeon crawler games as I'm SNES generation kid :p but am always willing to give quality game made with passion by developers a chance and this definitely looks like it ;)

9. JohnnyKnox

JohnnyKnox Member

Jan 19, 2013
  10. redflame

redflame Member

Jan 6, 2013
    There won't be much in the way of side-quests but there will be optional content to explore. The story will be told by clues discovered in the dungeon and the main character himself. There will also be side stories which aren't important to the main plot but provide atmosphere and sometimes clues. For example you may find the bones of a fallen adventurer, his journal nearly ruined but you piece together how he died. That may give you a clue on how to circumvent a danger or get through a difficult room.

11. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I was reminded of games like Knight Lore and Head Over Heels as well. I can see the graphics are more NES-like but isometric games were really embraced by the Speccy, Amstrad and Commodore. I'm a sucker for anything that pays tribute to that era, especially when they include hand-drawn pixel graphics, so sign me up :)

12. Aventador

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Any updates on development for this lovely game ?;)

13. redflame

redflame Member

Jan 6, 2013
    Funny you should ask Aventador, I was going to post an update today anyway. :)

Anyway some things came up which delayed progress on this game, so its not as far along as I would like right now. However, some progress has been made - enemies are being added in, almost the entire first dungeon level is complete as well as some progress on the music and sound fronts.

Here I'll show some screenshots from the latest work - screenshots are best viewed at full resolution.

Click on screenshots to view at full resolution:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Aventador

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    With every new screenshot I like it even more.Good job and take your time with development as quality definitely takes some time :)

15. redflame

redflame Member

Jan 6, 2013
    There should be a bigger update soon. In the meantime here is another screenshot of a room that looks pretty interesting. The stuff on the ground isn't just for decoration. ;)

Click on the thumbnail to see the full size image.

[​IMG]

16. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Did someone say "a bigger update soon"?!?

17. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I hope Flame of the Deep isn't dead.

18. Aventador

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Same but looks like developer already made significant portion of work from screens so probably just taking a break or other obligations got in a way and slowed down production.

19. racingspider

racingspider Well-Known Member

I agree with this, BUT, the last 10% of work is the hardest and most time consuming. I do hope he can finish it.