iPhone BEARDS! Dwarf Sandbox Game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by racingspider, Oct 7, 2013.

1. racingspider

racingspider Well-Known Member

#1 racingspider, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
    I'm thick in the development of BEARDS! a dwarf resource management game. A combination of Tiny Tower and Dwarf Fortress, BEARDS! is part RPG and part team management with a bit of exploration, crafting and DWARVES of course.

Here's a rather crappy YouTube video of me blathering on about it a little. I'll post some more stuff as things move along!

Thanks for checking it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H608Vif3rwM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

2. racingspider

Exploration Party!

BEARDS! is still in development, and I'm in the process of adding exploration parties...

In BEARDS! the mountain that has been chosen for colonization is riddled with caverns, tunnels and ancient buried ruins. These areas pose a great threat to the newly built home - monsters find their way into the home using these areas.

To stop them, you must send exploration parties into the unknown places of the mountain's bones. When an exploration party sets out, a window on the bottom of the screen opens up, showing the exploration party's progress and the disasters they've encountered.

[​IMG]

Check out www.racingspidergames.com/wordpress for info on BEARDS! and more development videos coming!

Support Indies! :D

3. racingspider

Exploration!

For those that might be following the progress of Beards!, here is a short video without sound testing out the basic game mechanics of going on an exploration.

There will be a little bit of setup before the actual exploration - i.e. you'll choose the dwarves you wish to take as well as additional equipment. The scrolling window at the bottom will of course have better images in it (not the stand-in icons it currently has). The dwarves also have the correct beards on their little dwarfy faces.
    Enjoy!

4. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Will there be elephants?
    Or...
    Carp?

5. racingspider

If you look between the toes...

Elephants? Barbarous, aggressive, terrifying? Maybe, there should be a topside creature that invokes terror in little bearded fellas. Really, though, I am not sure about doing carp. There isn't much water-related in the game, aside from an aquifer layer.

Inspiration comes from a grand many sources and that is certainly one of them, in a big way.

6. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    A) That post is awesome, must've taken a bit to type all that out.
    B) I like the way it is looking. Will there be the ability to trade resources and manufacted goods with out side vendors? Or even other players? That'd be neat.

7. racingspider

Thanks! Haha, some of the stories are so epic - I remember explaining it to my brother and telling him what recently occurred. He was dumbfounded that it happened in a game.

Now, that said, this is an iOS game, and thus just won't get into that kind of detail or depth. However, there IS a basic tradepost right now that allows trading to an abstract entity.

I would LOVE to put in visiting caravans. I guess I can only determine that when I see how much interest there is in the game. Any game can be expanded, so hopefully things will go well for this game and I can develop it even further.

So, a more direct answer is, there are not currently any visiting dignitaries or traders, but it is a feature on the list of "Yes! Please! If we have interest...".