Shaquille O'Neal spends $1000 a week on apps.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Papa Deuce, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/03/shaquille-oneal-spends-1000-on-apps-every-week/

Shaquille O’Neal, who was one of the first verified users on Twitter, confessed at SXSW that he’s a huge geek. Shaq says that he’s online all the time, and he spends a ridiculous amount of money on apps.

“I probably spend $1,000 on apps a week,” Shaq told the Wall Street Journal’s Evelyn Rusli. “Last week I bought like 20 deer hunter games… I’m just a geek. When I’m not working, I spend all my money on apps.”

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I'm not sure that's really possible unless he's just going hog wild in literally every free to play game, and even then you hit a point that's much lower than $1,000 before your dollars spent to enjoyment gained sort of hits a wall. I buy every release that gets posted on the forums here and I maybe spend $100 a week, and that's on a big week when there's lots of expensive games like Final Fantasy VI and stuff.

3. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

#3 Sanuku, Mar 11, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
    He is probably one of those Whales Supercell and King were talking about during their Financial Reports.

4. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    Every game you say? Lists game for $100 at initial release haha.

Still I assume rich people like Shaquille have no problem buying anything that looks interesting as well as tons of in game currency for games the actually like.

5. krautboy

krautboy Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Although i still think it's a lot it's very possible. You can spend huge amounts of money each week on new comics in comixology alone. Music apps tend to be a bit more pricey as well. When he comes across a ftp app with an in- app for 99 dollars on gems or whatever and just never wants to worry about that it can be very plausible.

6. Papa Deuce

May 15, 2013
    I remember when he was getting divorced, he claimed some crazy number like $100k per month for entertainment..... I do not recall exact numbers by any means, but let's say it went something like this:

1. 30k for TV, DVDs, Streaming.....
    2. Thousands in new gear every month
    3. Thousands on music downloads
    4. Thousands on video gaming

It was absolutely insane.

7. zdn1042

zdn1042 Well-Known Member

May 10, 2013
    That's an absurd amount to spend on apps in just a week.

8. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Why? If someone can afford it I don`t see a problem in it. It`s not like Shaquille will suddenly run out of Money just because 4000$ a Month for Mobile Appz :D

9. Rubicon

Rubicon Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Lead Programmer, Chief Bottlewasher
    Isle of Wight, UK
    I need to get him playing Combat Monsters. It even has a "Shaq Attacks" homage in it. We named one of the heroes special.

10. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Because you can do something doesn't make it any less absurd. Personally I'd doubt his figures and take it as an over embellished brag, why you'd want to though is beyond me. Maybe that's what the crowd funding he's seeking is supplementing.

11. Papa Deuce

May 15, 2013
    See my post about what he claimed he spent when he was getting divorced...... It was staggering..... I will try to google it........Shaquille spends a ton on entertainment.

12. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Yeah I read your post, crazy stuff :)

13. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    This seems insane. He must be literally buying apps all day. It would be like a full time job unless he buys every $99 iap he sees. Still he would never have time to play even a tiny fraction of them unless he lives completely without sleep. I have 5000 games and I think I'm insane. He must own like 100 128GB iPads. My 64Gb has only games on it and it's still really hard to manage space with all of my games.

14. Papa Deuce

May 15, 2013
    Well, apps are not always games, so maybe he also buys other, more expensive apps. I did google his divoce legal papers. He claimed that he had monthly expenses of $875,000......... Including $26,000 for child care, and $110K a month for vacations. Since these were legal papers, I would hope he could verify his claims, but on the surface, his claims seemed implausible at best.

Maybe he has separate iPads for each genre. ;)

15. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    The bulk of the money is being spend on high-end IAP's the ones which go beyond $99

16. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    after reading this i tweeted him about my app lol

17. mrbiggles

mrbiggles Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    sounds like Bull Crap, otherwise he just an idiot spending cash on IAPs for gold and nuggets or counts movies and music downloads as apps :p