Apps that use both iPad and iPhone/iPod: What do you call this feature?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by blindspot, Feb 16, 2011.

1. blindspot

blindspot Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Scholarly Publisher
    Berkeley, CA
    #1 blindspot, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
    Some games like Scrabble, Pad Racer, SNAKE, Plane and more feature game play where you use the iPad as a console and the iPhone/iPod Touch as a controller. I'm looking for a short phrase to describe this capability. What do you call this feature of an app? Is there an official name?

I read a post somewhere where it was called "Table Mode". I have privately called it "Console Play".

Any other ideas?

2. runformoney1110

runformoney1110 Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Graphic designer
    In your closet
    don't think theres an official name for it. i just refer to such apps as "playable on iPad using iPhone as a controller" :D

3. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    "iDevice controller enabled game", lol I really have no idea. I actually just played Chopper 2 on the iPad using the iPhone as a controller and it works really well/responsive (both bluetooth and wifi).

Any more games that uses the iPhone/iPod as a controller? (Sorry, hijacking the thread here) :)

4. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    Red Nova uses it, and The incident, even lets you see falling stuff on you iphne, while you can connect your ipad to your tv and see the game pic there.

- no idea what the function is called either. :)

5. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Thanks!

Any idea wich cable gives the highest resolution and/or best picture, VGA cable or or the component cable (when connected to a hdtv)?

6. iPodTouchGamer

Dec 6, 2010
    The function is called "universal."
    As in, "This awesome app is universal."

7. Leegames

Jul 1, 2010
    Denmark
    I got the VGA cable, to be honest I cant remember why I chose that, but the picture is excellent on my LED 40":)

Other apps with vga out while we are at it: Max and Hungry shark HD. :)

8. Leegames

Jul 1, 2010
    Denmark
    #8 Leegames, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
    No. He isn't asking for the name when the app is compatible with both formats, but for the name if one iDevice is used to control the app on the other.

Hmm OP how about using the term "controller mode"?

9. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Thanks, probably go with that one too. I think the the guy that made Chopper said VGA gave higher resolution (for some reason). But you do need an VGA extender cable with the Apple VGA cable right?

10. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Yes, the Apple VGA dock connector "kit" is very short, you need an actual VGA cable to connect it to something.

Also, component cables can only do 480p, whereas VGA supports all resolutions. The iPad can output 1024x768, as well as 720p (depending on how the app configures the usage of this output I believe).

11. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Ok thanks, yep gettin the VGA adapter then. Only input on my old tv thats available anyways. :)