Best Table Tennis Game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Palfince, Apr 5, 2009.

?

Which is the best 3D table tennis game?

1. Table Tennis Star

12 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. iPingPong 3D

15 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. Zen Table Tennis

2 vote(s)
    4.0%
  4. World Cup Ping Pong

21 vote(s)
    42.0%
  1. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    #1 Palfince, Apr 5, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  2. Burton

Burton Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Canada
    I'd go with iPing Pong 3D, $1 cheaper, and it looks the best.

Although World Cup Ping Pong looks really good too.

3. Silver Orange

Silver Orange Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    California
    Not that I have played any of them, but World Cup Ping Pong looks the best IMO.

4. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009

5. Burton

Burton Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Canada
    I think the Zen one looks the worst. xD

6. anduril_ukr

anduril_ukr Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Student
    New Jersey
    world cup looks best to me, clean graphics and just nice overall look

7. Palfince

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    Yeah, World Cup Ping Pong came out today and is by Sky Works so it's probably going to be pretty good. Although I've had my eye on Table Tennis Star for a while now and I thought I might as well put in the other two for comparison.

Edit: I added a poll, would be good if people could vote in it.

8. Silver Orange

Silver Orange Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    California
    Are all of them portrait only other than World Cup?

9. Burton

Burton Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Canada
    Actually, I change my vote to World Cup, it's landscape. =]

10. JoshC.

JoshC. Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2009
    I only have iping pong 3D, but it is great. You can but spin on the ball, either way. You can control how deep you hit the ball. You can charge the net as well.
    There are I think five difficulty levels and a really long tournament that works you up the difficulty levels.
    If you want a ping pong game, iping pong 3D would be a good choice.

11. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    I also have ipingpong 3d and it is great. Plus it is cheaper.

12. Palfince

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    Looks like the majority are going for iPingPong 3D but I still like the look of Table Tennis Star and World Cup Ping Pong looks like it could be good. I think I'll wait for any reviews of World Cup Ping Pong.

13. qUAntUm k

qUAntUm k Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2009
    tabletennis star is amazing...offers incredible depth in gameplay, and oustanding graphics...you have huge control over the spin/power...the controls are excellent...however, the game requires you practice a little, to get a feeling for the way it has been designed...the reward is well worth the time invested...tonnes of challenges/unlockable players, looks awesome, and plays even better...must buy if you like tabletennis...

14. CandyNJ66

CandyNJ66 Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Writer
    I have never played a Table Tennis game until this thread and the Table Tennis Star thread today, and I gotta say TTS is totally awesome!! I am now a fan of Table Tennis games!! TTS was so easy to get into and I am actually good at it so far. Love the players and the trash talkin they say to each before a game.

I want to try World cup too, but for now, TTS is very worth buying! It's addictive.

15. iFonePhanatic

iFonePhanatic Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Student
    USA
    Just from the screenshots, the first one looks best to me. It seems very polished and fluent in graphics

16. gocrys

gocrys Member

Mar 16, 2009
  17. gocrys

gocrys Member

Mar 16, 2009
  18. Marioman619

Marioman619 Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2009
    #18 Marioman619, Apr 14, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
    Alright, I'm taking the plunge for World Cup Ping Pong. I will post impressions later.
    Impressions: VERY fun. Graphics are really clean. You can add spin to the ball, and the paddles actually have different stats. Only downsides so far is no Australia in country choices, and no real multiplayer (WiFi). It would be awesome playing against someone else.
    Also, of course iPing Pong 3D is going to have more votes, it's cheaper than the others, and I'm guessing older, so way more people would have bought it. I really recommend World Cup Ping Pong. The arcade mode is awesome!

19. Played all 3 tonight. Have to agree with you CandyNJ66 go for most fun award goes to Table Tennis Star because you can make huge swiping swipes for power and curves and camera changes. So my vote goes to tables tennis for most fun if you want to smash it hard like the Chinese do.
    1st video shows many different aspects but not finger
    2nd video shows the finger.

World Cup Ping Pong is decent has decent spin. Has head to head mode where two players play on same idevice but it's not something you'd want to do.

iPing Pong 3D props for having local wifi play but still not as fun.

I don't think you'll be upset with a purchase any of the above three you'll still have fun but if you wanna whack it like a Ching Pong rock star then get Table Tennis Star.

Didn't try zen table tennis though.

20. shigzeo

shigzeo Well-Known Member

#20 shigzeo, Apr 21, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
    i have played each one extensively for reviews but have not finished review for tt star and world cup ping pong.

each are completely fake - they don't play like table tennis but each are fun. the worst is zen. its angles are quite bad and the length of game is not as good.

tt star has a well thought out strategy system but implementation isn't smooth, making it less fun though more deep.

then come the two that are so much alike: ipingpong 3d and world cup ping pong.

*if you are a table tennis player none of these games will excite you.
    each moves like a drunken soldier whose feet are planted on the ground and whose elbow is anchored on a tee-ball set. you cannot smash, cut, slice, proper side spin. you cannot hit down the line or side step, move back, lob, drop, cricket spin or anything. they play like a person who has never played before and break all sorts of rules.

however, they are fun. world cup has internet scoreboards which make adding up your whuffie good but still you cannot play against others as you can in wifi mode with ipingpong 3d.

graphically it is up to you. if you like smooth 3D - ipingpong is the best, but if you like cleanly rendered 2D, then world cup is the best.

world cup is faster but is silly. no one can ever make a ball move like that whilst holding their bat flat like a frying pan. side spin can be applied, but it is high softish spin that is spoiled by such horrid animation - if this were another sport that more people were familiar with, it would be laughed out of the store. landscape only - silly, but since your elbow is locked into your belly button, reaching to the side (which no one ever would do in table tennis) makes your bat go off screen and is silly to try and return off screen balls.

iping pong 3D has similar moves but not as pronounced so is easier to take seriously. also, you play in a well-lighted environment and have an enthusiastic crowd. portrait or landscape mode choices mean that you can choose what fits your comfort level. realistically, ipingpong is a bit closer to real table tennis, but neither it nor world cup are realistic.

these two are the most fun. as you can tell from my signature, i am waiting for a dev who actually plays table tennis, watches real matches and understands mechanics of sport, not just imaginary physics to develop a good either turn based strategy table tennis game (which is probably the only way to do it unless tilt controls could be well implemented enough to make swipe gestures do anything (ie cut, smash, flick, etc.) and make a real time game).

these are fun no doubt, but they would be like playing baseball with full scuba gear or football without diving italians (wink) or road bike riding with octagonal wheels and granny saddles. literally, they are challenging and fun, but nothing at all like the sport. if you are drunk, have only played with your mates a game like beer pong and call a bat a paddle, you may like them much more than i do. (though 4/5 for ipingpong3d and 3/5 for world cup)