IGN names iPhone Game of the Year

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Kubba, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Kubba

Kubba Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    The overall game of the year according to IGN is Infinity Blade. My vote would go to GTA, Space Miner, or Modern Combat 2-but to each his own, I guess. I feel it's a bit presumptuous of IGN though to release their GOTY before the end of the year, considering there are so many great titles coming out next week. Oh, well. Click below for more info
    http://bestof.ign.com/2010/mobile/

EDIT
    Ok, this is ridiculous. I was looking through the full list, and they name GodFinger the most innovative game of the year. What...?

2. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    It's IGN, they dont go through half the titles on the appstore.

3. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Who listens to IGN.

4. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

I gave up IGN many many moons ago.

5. Kubba

Kubba Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Yes...but GodFinger seems a bit extreme, even for them...
    Looking forward to the Gamespot version. I usually agree with their reviews

6. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I actually went through their list, it's not that far fetched.

Fruit Ninja
    Cut the Rope
    Osmos
    Infinity Blade
    Archetype
    GodFinger

All great except for GodFinger, which was innovative for about a minute then extremely tedious. However taking in consideration the iOS platform, the rest were extremely well done. GTA is an awesome game, but it really is a port, and the controls are so so. It didn't feel a 100% iOS to me. I do agree about Space Miner, excellent game.

7. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Their choices suck.
    Where is PvZ and Modern Combat 2.
    And to top off the horrible list, they pick IB as game of the year. :mad:

8. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

Good games, yes. It's the awards they got that are off. I don't see anyone choosing archetype over MC2 without money being waved in their face.

And it's odd how IB gets the big spot after less than a week since release, and before the end of the year/AppStore freeze.

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Pretty odd how they'd release this now when there's such a huge array of releases coming this Thursday. Something tells me Real Racing 16 player races is going to make Archetype look like old news, for instance.

10. Watabou

Watabou Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2008
    They must've forgotten that Aralon comes out in less than two days ;)

They must be reading this thread now, I bet.

I can just imagine the editor's reaction when he remembers Aralon. "Oh my word! We've made a catastrophic error!"

And then he's gonna remember Real Racing 2 comes out too...and Nova 2...and Dungeon Defenders...and possibly more.

11. Vinvy

Vinvy Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    #11 Vinvy, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
    Although pretty obvious IGN is rolling with the IB/Apple press machine to pimp that game out, Iam more than happy with the others on the list, and that they chose mostly good/original games.

This is the problem, iOS users only care about ports and clones of console/PC games, as opposed to original iOS developed games, or original ideas. Be glad that these sites are promoting original titles as much as possible, even if it is obvious IB is a facade.

Its this, and not apples bureaucracy, or the 99 cent price model(which does reward many good/savy devs, and can make lots of money for people) that are truly holding back the platform. If we could get into the mindset for original content, we will get it.

12. alchemistrpm

alchemistrpm Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Near-future releases notwithstanding, I gotta agree with their GOTY. Infinity Blade is awesome on so many levels.

13. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

It's all of that actually: the ports, the apple bureaucracy, the pricing model. Your point about ports is very true though. time and time again I see people wishing for a port of FF VII, one of the 3D GTA's, etc; and when ports that people want do come out, there's bitching about how lazy devs are by just porting games over.

Now that I think about it, the biggest stumbling block seems to be iOS gamers. They demand everything, expect the impossible and whine when all that they wish for costs more than 99 cents.

14. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    #14 tsharpfilm, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
    I agree with most of what you said, but I think we need to stop saying this. I've seen very few complaints about Infinity Blade's price. If the game is good enough, most iDevice gamers won't see a problem at all with spending more than $0.99 for it.

For example: Galaxy on Fire 2, at $6.99, has mostly positive reviews, and very few complaints about price. And when Aralon comes out for $6.99, I highly doubt anymore than a handful of people are going to have anything negative to say about the price. If anything, they might say it's underpriced.

15. YouSuckDude

YouSuckDude Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Above My Postcount
    lol @ GOTY coming out before the end of the year...:rolleyes:

16. alchemistrpm

Oct 13, 2010
    Thank you. There's a touch too much elitism here at TA condemning gamers for the 99c price model in the app store. At the end of the day, IB sits at the peak of the top-grossing chart for a reason.

I just wish equally deserving games from lesser-known devs like Fish Labs and Crescent Moon could garner the same attention as ChAIR's Infinity Blade.

17. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    They have been boning over Infinity Blade they were too ignorant to wait for a few small releases on the 16th. Namely Real Racing 2, Aralon, NOVA 2.. nothing too big.

At least we don't have another putrid title like Squareball or whatever it was called.

18. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    Who cares about IGN? Infinity Blade is great though, but certainly no GOTY material for me.

19. alchemistrpm

Oct 13, 2010
    Is it the recency effect? People are acting as if IB shouldn't even be a contender. Aralon, Real Racing 2, NOVA 2 - all of those will likely be great, but none are particularly original.

20. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    People are complaining because they didn't even give them a chance.