What does it take to make Iphone games?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by VaudooG33k, Dec 18, 2010.

1. VaudooG33k

VaudooG33k Active Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Quebec/Canada
    I love my iphone soo much that I want to get back to school to make games for it.

I want to ask you devs, what does it take to become a game designer for the iOS?

2. h0130j03

h0130j03 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Of course your gonna need to know a thing or two about coding. Then you need a Mac, and a Developer License from apple if you plan to put it up on the appstore. I believe the license costs you $99USD

3. DrummerB

DrummerB Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Switzerland
    A lot of time and dedication.

If you already know the basics of programming in general (variables, pointers, functions, classes) you can probably start reading through Apple's documentation. If you didn't already, register as an iPhone developer for free to access them. Start here: Getting Started with iOS.
    If you are completely new to programming, get a book about C and learn the basics.
    Either way, it will be overwhelming at first, but once start seeing your code to come alive on your iPhone, it will make a lot of fun. :)

4. DemonJim

DemonJim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    Summed up very nicely. As DrummerB says the personal reward from seeing your ideas come to life makes it all a lot of fun, so the dedication is the easy part - the hard part is finding the time.

To prototype a basic game idea can be pretty quick but to actually get a game finished and in the store and be worth people's hard-earned takes a lot longer.

If you have a Mac already just have a go and get stuck in, you'll soon find out if you like it or not. Check out all the sample code and play around. Using one of the many beginner's iPhone programming books will help you learn what you need in a more structured way - remember you have to walk before you can run.

Alternatively, if you only want to Design games, then all you need is imagination and an ability to articulate and illustrate the design on paper. Then you could see if any programmers / artists out there are willing to help you make it come to life. In my experience though the ideas are the easy bit - it's the coding it that takes all the time. So if you're worried about people stealing a totally new original idea I wouldn't worry too much - people that copy game ideas only seem to do so for existing successful games. Unless you have a Tetris-beater that is, then to be safe best to make it yourself. :)

5. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    As a game designer by trade I have to add a caveat to this.

The idea is the easy bit. Anybody can come up with one. I have received several 'I have an idea about a octopus shooter game... how much will you pay me for it' emails in my inbox.

The articulating, illustrating, balancing and making the idea a fun game for others is a very different beast. This takes time, foresight and a lot of creative energy.

If you are truely looking at becoming a Game Designer, not a developer, this 8 minute video sums up what you need pretty well.
    So you want to be a game designer

6. VaudooG33k

VaudooG33k Active Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Quebec/Canada
    Thanks for the info guys. =)

7. maxxx

maxxx Active Member

Dec 23, 2010
    know yourself

You have to know yourself. If your a good coder or learn coding fast than xcode is all you need. If your more like an artist , than game salad will help you build your game quicker and easier. Know what time you have and what your strengths are.

8. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    This sounds basic, but planning is a big part. Not that life is a bunch of schedules and Excel documents (although it may seem that way), but develop a plan for what you want to do and set deadlines that you can stick to. If you're intent on your goals, planning will help you organize and implement the activities needed to make them happen.

9. Noodler

Noodler Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2010
    #9 Noodler, Dec 26, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
    Invisible

Actually the hard part, if your not a pogrammer, is even finding a GOOD and I mean GOOD outsource programmer to even reply to you.

You have your game and you have worked out the monetization and mechanics and all thats left is to find a GOOD programmer or studio.

Because in the outsoursing world there are a lot of wolves in sheeps clothing who could not even program a microwave oven.

10. Xapped

Xapped Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2010
    At first it will seem that it is hard, but stick to it and don't give up. If you have no knowledge of programming, you might want to try on a higher-level language like actionscript 2 which creates flash games.

11. layzerboy

layzerboy Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2010
    Outer Space
    get a good idea. :)

12. henr1kk

henr1kk Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Independent Game Designer and Developer
    Porto, Portugal
    #12 henr1kk, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
    IMO, you should brainstorm and come up with an idea that you like and that you believe in. You should definitely learn how to code, unless you have friends who can do it and who are willing to invest time in your project. The same goes for drawing/animating. Either you learn how to do it, or you find someone (a friend, preferably) who can.
    I wanted to become an iPhone game designer/developer and am currently working on my first project. I started learning how to code and found a friend that was willing to do the art for the game.

My main "tips", when it comes to learning how to code your first game, are:
    -If you don't already, get a cheap Mac;
    -Think of a simple game idea;
    -Register for a free account at developer.apple.com;
    -Download the Developer Tools (latest XCode and iPhone SDK);
    -Download and read Apple's documentation;
    -Read Stephen Kochan's "Programming in Objective-C 2.0";
    -Read Michael Daley's "Learning iOS Game Programming" and/or watch the 71squared video tutorials;
    -I also really recommend using Cocos2D-iPhone for your first project, as it is one of the easiest ways to get a game up and running (read the documentation on their site and watch some tutorials);
    -Have fun ;)