App Store acceptance taking a loooooonngg time..

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by dangerz, May 30, 2009.

1. dangerz

dangerz Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2009
    It used to be 7 days.. I'm now up to 9. Anyone experiencing extra long delays?

2. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    I think it depends on the line you get put in. I submitted updates to two games, a couple days apart recently. The first game was approved in four days. The second took ten days. Both games are similar in play and feature set, so there's no reason one should take longer than the other.

3. rdklein

rdklein Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2009
    sw developer, tv producer, hw developer (microcodi
    Munich
    my was put into the review on 17may,
    the clapboard lite
    got first rejected to to a 3.0 problem (bug in the beta 5 with threads !), which I patched (work around), next because I had a lite version with a email restriction (I removed the button - which gave a hint to the full version which is not allowed) and now waiting since the last change of last week (8days). my poc update meanwhile got through faster.

4. M of IMAK

M of IMAK Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    iPhone App Developer
    Austin, TX
    We just submitted two apps for review about a week ago. The first, an update, was approved but the new version is not yet available. The second is a new app, and no word yet. We are hoping today. We actually got an email this time about our update approval. I had thought those were stopped because we didn't get them when we made a few updates last month.

5. rdklein

Apr 3, 2009
    Munich
    just got the message "read for sale" :) thats was a quick reaction to my post :confused:

6. organerito

organerito Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    It is more than one week since Dataviz's office was submitted and nothing yet.

7. dangerz

Apr 23, 2009
    I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but I just don't understand why Apple can't be a little more open about this review process. For a company that's put a lot of great work into the phone it blows my mind to see how mis-managed the approval process is.

8. dangerz

Apr 23, 2009
    So my update was finally approved.. now I'm just waiting for my lite version to be approved as well.

9. Just to Verify

I submitted my debut app "Mummy's Revenge" on 5/22 to Apple and I was wondering whether they may approve the App on a Saturday or more importantly for me a Sunday. Here is a link to my thread if you haven't seen it already: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=14288

Thanks in advance.

10. Kris Jones

Kris Jones Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Producer/Publisher/Designer of Mobile Games
    America
    This is the worst part of developing for the AppStore. The waiting is just so hard because you can't do anything to make it go faster. I know the Apple people have a lot of applications to review, but I guess even 7-10 days for a app review isn't actually too bad.

11. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Aerial Combat has been under review for 9 days now :(

12. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Sorry to hijack here, but can you elaborate on the problem you've seen with Beta 5 and threads rdklein? I think I may be seeing a threading problem with Rogue Touch running on Beta 5 and could use some confimation that I'm not crazy! Your mention is the first time I've seen anyone else say that they experienced thread issues. Do you use simple NSThreads or POSIX threading? I have a joinable POSIX thread that does not appear to be joining back up now, depending on what you've seen we may have common ground! :D

Please post here and share with all if you like, or PM me to keep the thread uncluttered if you prefer. :)

13. rdklein

Apr 3, 2009
    Munich
    Yes its a NSThread (I placed a note into the dev forum without response),
    make a thread and set self.view = xxxxview to a new view within the thread.
    works on the 2.2.1 but crashes sometimes (not all the time) on the beta 5.
    I can paste some code if you like at this place (I am just not at the right place to paste the code).

The thread code is in the dev forum in the context of starting the spinner for a time lengthy task. Actually there is some more in the thread, but that was the poitn it crashed deep in the system core. I posted a bug also to the devs but they wanted the whole source (which I changed meanwhile completely) so I closed the case.

I needed this code to load some images etc. and shwo th euser that something went on, so I loaded the images in a new thread and started the spinner in the main thread, after loading was done I stopped the spinner and switched to the new view (within the task running parallel) -
    my solution is now to use a timer event and a state system so seting the spinner to animation in state 1 (need to go back to the main thread otehr wise it does not start animating), state 2 call the loading of images and switch the view state 3 stop the animation of the spinner. This works (no thread used ).

actuall the critical point seems to be the assignment of the view (I didnt try to do this in the main thread, just for savety I changed the whole part to work on the main) but I assume that is the problem, some thread unsavety in the beta 5 with assiging views.

14. conrem

conrem Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2009
    developer + student at medicine
    Moldova
  15. dangerz

Apr 23, 2009
    Ended up having my update approved Saturday and the Lite one approved Sunday. Wait time is getting longer and longer :(

16. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

rdklein, thanks for the feedback on threading. My problem thread is a POSIX thread, but based on what I'm seeing I agree that it's a deeper system problem with threading. I'm away from my Mac on business right now, but I plan on investigating it further soon.

Hopefully submission times will not get even worse as 3.0 arrives. I expect there are a ton of new apps that will appear designed for 3.0! :D

17. khangtoh

khangtoh Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Co-Founder/IPhone Dev @ LeftRight Studios
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Maybe this little info wouldn't help but maybe this could be useful to other devs.

Ours has been in review (games and entertainment) since May 22nd and got one rejection (June 1st) resubmitted same day.

18. Feltzem

Feltzem Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Yeah, Documents to go by DataViz has was submitted on the 20th of May and still hasn't been approved...

19. khangtoh

khangtoh Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Co-Founder/IPhone Dev @ LeftRight Studios
    Pittsburgh, PA
    This is so frustrating, our app have been submitted since May 22nd and then got rejected because of a reference to upcoming features in our main menu. Resubmitted and is still pending review.

Anyone knows if app approvals goes live on sat/sun? or they all pretty much only go out on business days (Mon - Fri) ?

Thanks!

20. dangerz

Apr 23, 2009
    They do go live on Sat/Sun.