Omegatech: Aspen's Story -- In Pre-Alpha

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by omegatechgame, Nov 12, 2015.

1. omegatechgame

omegatechgame Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Austin, TX

Hi Guys and Gals, It's Kyle from Megaworld Studios. We would like to toot our horn with an upcoming game that's reaching alpha milestone. This Mobile Action RPG features Cats in Mechs defending their home from an interplanetary invader. When the dominos start falling down in their place, we're planning to release as soon as April 2016.

If you're a fan of cats, mechs, rpg, or anime, we believe Omegatech: Aspen's Story is the right fit for you to sink your teeth into. Personally, I resonate highly with the robo-anime genre and cyberpunk. Each week we take steps forward, we'd love to get hands on testing it, send us your email and we'll send you the web playable link and weekly newsletter, we'd would love to have you on-board.

Here, we'll keep you posted as each step takes place. Hold onto your Mechs! But if you want even more, find us on Facebook or better yet visit the website. Find a couple images and screenshots below.

And we hug questions.

[​IMG]

In-Game screenshot

[​IMG]

And of course the main character, Aspen.

2. omegatechgame

omegatechgame Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Austin, TX
    #2 omegatechgame, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
    [​IMG]

Over the past couple days we've generated several system docs to cover some needed loot distribution and art specs. Of course dialog improvements too.

The specs seem to be well worth the trouble of solidification. Not only does it force use to think of those nit picky details, but other people know how to spend their time. Crazy notions I know. So far rewrites concerning aspects of this game ran upwards sometimes of two or three times per system. Refactors are common place but far less time costly if done on paper first.

Loot Manager now stretches its roots into the programmatic level generation plans. A 9-card Monty card mini-game subscribes the strongest to this system at the end of the level. Crafting reagents and bonus loots get distributed in this method. Most games have a treasure room where the player gets to open a number of boxes, but we as players hasn't any idea what they boxes would actually hold... no skill involved. If the player possesses the skill to watch the cards get shuffled, they can in fact track where their favorite loot can be picked. This system regulates the escalation for end level loot, quest loot, enemy kill loot, and supply truck loot. A end-level mini-game has also been scheduled for alpha milestone.

3. q8phantom

q8phantom Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Game development
    Kuwait
    Subscribed ;)

4. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Subscribed as well, this looks promising.
    I really like the Aspen artwork, great job ;)

5. omegatechgame

omegatechgame Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Austin, TX
    Thanks q8phantom! I can't wait to keep you up to date what happens with this incredible new loot distribution system we're cooking up.

6. omegatechgame

omegatechgame Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Austin, TX
    Thanks Nullzone! I'll pass along the compliments to the artist.. we hug those artists. Our current art ship is on iconography and some more environmental work for the PvP. Looking forward to putting some on display.

7. omegatechgame

omegatechgame Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Austin, TX
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still at it! Fingers typing hurriedly making coherent documentation sentences. Our spec docs get updates, dialog sees another round of great iteration, and a crucial loot distribution system sees the light of day.

Special thanks also to Cinnax Nexus (Patrick) for his guest appearance and talking to the engineers about networking techniques. His advice and experience rivals that of most studio’s Head Engineers.

Looking out over the next few weeks, we’re looking to better connect the play environment to the post-level rewards. So instead of notifying players of specific supplies they earned during level play, they get a mini-game of “nine-card monty” after the level ends. Every supply truck they find, they get an additional pick from the nine possible prizes. The difference between this and other treasure room mini-games, is our lets the players see the prizes before flipping the cards over and rearranging them. This way, some skill gets involved instead of picking randomly and solved a problem with people ignoring the crafting reagent notifications.

With the prototype of this nine-card monty completed it awaits the other game systems to catch up for implementation.

Also happy to report buff icon style and crafting icons style solidified into an easily reproducible and module icon building system. Our primary objective with all art prioritizes making the smallest texture footprint while still offering sophisticated art style. The crafting reagents now get their final art treatment with an expandable icon part set which can make hundreds icons with the same texture footprint.

Story received more polish as level 3 introduction to the villain, Mace, got a second pass along with story specific scripting in the level. Mace comes in with an old west southern draw. Some digital painting for Mace also looked really good as we test for good illustration styles. Our side-companion for Aspen, ie chest worn computer, also got more of a body to mount onto when theoretically out of the mech.

Currently on the operating table both engineering and art optimizations take center stage. Implementation of light and shadow which moves with the actors. Website improvements that look good on tablets and phones make to make it easier for first time visitors to see the great work done from day to day. High scores and leader boards lets players know how they stack up against one another. Polishing and custom scripting of level 3 nears its conclusion this next week.

8. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #8 Nullzone, Nov 15, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
    Feel like posting some of that concept art, or would that spoil a surprise?

Checked your homepage, and unfortunately it's unreadable on an iPad:
    - text/background contrast in the posts is not good
    - it doesn't scale: text look like it's 3pt or so; and does not wrap, it goes past the screen and I need to scroll sideways.
    If you want to gain momentum, the homepage could need some rework.

The icons look good and clear, although it's a lot to memorise. I like that they are grouped, e.g. grenades sharing the same base icon. I wonder if those details won't be too small on the HUD/UI to see properly, especially on phones. Do you have a mockup already, so we can take a peek?

9. omegatechgame

omegatechgame Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Austin, TX
    #9 omegatechgame, Nov 15, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
    Thanks for those great questions Nullzone.

Great point about the shear number of icons.. We planned to introduce buffs slowly at first so in the beginning couple levels, all damage and armor bonuses get the focus. In the endgame, expert players have deep ways of tweaking their character's gameplay.

Each buff affects gameplay and contextually exists on everything .. and I mean everything. This make powerful combinations possible. Scripting, equipment, powerups, achievements, base buildings, AI, and every base system thoughtfully embrace these gameplay atoms. This is how we let the player actually "craft" their gameplay as they operate their character. When the player plays, the game listens and adapts itself accordingly.

"Why play a game built for everyone, when you can play a game built for you.

I feel that on the mobile display of the website, and is pretty high on the priority list.

Such a great suggestion about some show-and-tell of one of the crafting reagent icons. The illustration below shows off the modular nature of the art so we have terrific flexibility assembling new icons thru data. No more downloading of patches. If I had my way (over-scope alert), I'd make it possible to "craft" and "invent" new reagent icons.

[​IMG]

10. omegatechgame

omegatechgame Member

Nov 11, 2015
    Austin, TX
    Progress done today turned out pretty productive iterating over the player Reticle to be clear and less place-holderish.

[​IMG]