iPhone Spellcraft - Collectable Card Game - by Three Goblins Ltd

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sladeums, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Steve at ThreeGoblins Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Game Designer and Teacher
    Tokyo
    To answer the question about getting more cards:

Yes , you have to buy them, packs or singles, but there are many ways to get game gold:

(1) Winning matches, both campaign and pvp
    (2) Gaining a new level in the campaign
    (3) From achievements - these give quite generous awards.
    (4) Using gold purchased with real money

From the start we set up to make this game relatively low cost for players , certainly way less than similar games.. We all play CCGs and know how spending can get out of hand!
    The game, once all the expansions come, will be pretty big, so we thought it fair to start with low pricing and keep it that way.

Any suggestions about ways to get gold or rewards you might like to see are welcome. We are a small company and your input can make a difference.

Oh , yes. We will probably introduce some special cards later, tied to difficult achievements.

Thanks all
    Steve, Goblin HQ

2. Mack the Knife

Mack the Knife Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    #22 Mack the Knife, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
    thanks steve! we appreciate your clarification! i already saw the undead faction at your site, can't wait but i'm curious. will you get a sample set of cards for each new faction or will they strictly be IAP's? you have a guess as to when the new faction update will happen? again, GREAT game!

...remembered what i wanted to ask. any chance for landscape? :D

3. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    #23 Steve at ThreeGoblins, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
    Hey Mack,

The Undead cards will be released as seperate boosters or you can just use your gold you've won to get the ones you really want via single-card purchase. I am sure by then you will have a big healthy stash!
    (Common cards are very cheap)

As for landscape, the game really doesn't fit without squashing the cards too much. Sorry about that.

By the way, update is in the store soon, which speeds the game up. Also inviting a friend over Game Center is much nicer now.

If I see you in-game I will throw you an invite. And feel free to keep those questions coming as they help others as well as us :)

Cheers
    Steve, Three Goblin HQ

4. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    #24 Mack the Knife, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
    H E L P STEVE!!

LASTEST UPDATE BREAKS THINGS (yikes!)

1. just installed the update...went to the deck section (book) and clicked the Starter deck and game crashed. tap other decks and it crashes as well. never did that before. i rebooted ipad and same thing. ipad2, latest OS.

2. also, no health points show up in the heart in the main playing area. i do 2 damage and the hit points don't register anywhere.

well, it appears the game has been removed from itunes so they must know it's broken.

5. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    #25 Mack the Knife, Sep 12, 2012
    steve, once you fix the update please answer this:

i sent you guys an email with some questions a few days ago via your website and have not gotten any response. do you read the emails and just ignore them? i'm a little miffed and kind of perplexed as you're very responsive on this forum. either i was just ignored or your website email system isn't working.

6. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    Yes, Apple broke it.

Well be fixed very soon.

We are not happy either!

7. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    #27 Steve at ThreeGoblins, Sep 12, 2012
    Mack, we can't see any emails from you via the website and lots have contacted us so we know it works. I will kick the goblin concerned and make sure he checks all the cogs are working properly.

Regards
    Steve, Three Goblins HQ

8. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    #28 Mack the Knife, Sep 12, 2012
    ok. just FYI i sent it from my ipad and it didn't come from 'Mack' by the way...no biggie, you answered all but one question and that is: if i ever reinstall the game, are the IAP's recoverable? i mean, does "apple" know i bought, for example, a 40 card set and two 10 card sets? or am i out of luck?

9. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    Ok if you plan to totally wipe it off, do a backup first. That way your stuff is safe when you restore it in future.
    For normal updates just install over what you have already, no need to uninstall. I am sure you know that, but just checking!

Hope that helps
    Steve,ThreeGoblins night watch

10. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    Further to your question, we do know how many packs and what size you have bought, but we don't know the contents of them of course.
    Same for Apple.

In a very near future update we will have a development in which we can send out gold to players that get affected by stuff which is beyond their control, or even as prizes or as thanks for help or valuable feedback.

Early days, but we don't hang about!

Steve, sleepy goblin.

11. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    thanks again, guess i'll call it a night too. game not back in the app store yet. oh well, maybe tomorrow.

12. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Good luck with the update, Steve; looking forward to the new cards.
    As I do not know what exactly happened and what the steps to get the update out again are:
    Could you inform us here when it is back and hopefully save to install?

Some people asked about the ingame money:
    You definitely get enough from singleplayer scenarios, no need to worry.
    Here is my current data:
    I am level 15, have multiples of all cards, and ~24k gold in my stash.

While I would have preferred a flat price for the game, and buying additional factions as onetime IAP (I dislik consumables IAP) , I will buy some anyways to show my appreciation for the game.

@Steve: Just a minor point: But I could not find it mentioned anywhere that there is a maximum of 4 identical cards per deck (e.g. 4 Firebirds). If that is not in the helpfile yet, mind adding it?
    I also found that some achievements do not register (not that I care much about them, just thought I'd mention it) and that Gamecenter invite does not work. As you stated that the update addresses GC issues, I will see if that fixes and report back.

Finally, could you consider the option to play against lower level AIs again?
    When I look at some of the achievements, I know that they will be quite hard to gain at my current - and higher - levels, should I decide to give them a go.
    Against easier AIs, they should be quite a breeze, though.
    Especially as you mentioned that you might tie special cards to achievements at a later stage, I find it a bit odd to make live harder for players that did not plan for achievement hunting right from the start.

13. Lechatcurieux

Lechatcurieux Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    Questions

Hi Steve,

Loving the game, I have a couple of quick questions of you don't mind.

1. What are the levels? Is there a highest level? I get to magus...greater magus....higher magus....and I'm getting a little disheartened as I don't know what I'm heading for.
    (maybe unlockable cards would be a good motivation)
    2. The rooted card confuses me. If I play it sometimes the AI still attacks me and I can't see pattern.
    (It always works when unapposed, but if it has something in front of it sometimes it attacks).
    3. Right at the bottom there is a number 8 next to my name....what is it? I'm not level 8?

THANK YOU!!

14. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo
    Hello Sheinfell,

Thanks for your input. Time for my output!

The update should be within a few days, but we are at the mercy of Apple and I don't think they take bribes :D

The update clears up the problem of invites , as sometimes the friend just couldn't accept it, but had to end up queuing as normal, which was not at all satisfactory.

Game gold. Glad you agree it's on the generous side, that was our intention. The gold will come in useful to buy any expansion cards, so no wastage there.

In the next update AI speed has been increased a lot , so you will be able to collect gold even faster.

4 cards per deck: Coincidentally this is included in the updated in-game manual.

Achievements not registering : The one I am aware of is a fire one, but should be ok now. We will look into any we hear not triggering, and the programmer responsible will be taken outside and thrashed :p

Options to play against lower AI levels : I can see how this might be desirable. However, we didn't have that option to basically discourage some players farming the easy levels for ultra-rapid gold.
    * I have made a note of it and it will be revisited.*

Level of achievements : Yes some might be much easier at lower levels , but player's generally have less choice of cards at lower level too, so it sort of balances out. Besides, making them doable in easy mode might not feel like much of an achievement, more an inevitability. Hope that makes sense.

As regards the special cards for achievements , these would be significant achievements that only experienced player could realistically obtain. So a low level beginner would not just be able to breeze in and pick up any unique cards on offer.

I hope my answers are mostly what you had hoped for.
    Although the game itself , including the next 8 expansions is all done and dusted, the stuff around it (eg achievements, style of campaign, special options) are still partly open to change if feedback from enough players tells us to change it.

Cheers
    Steve, ThreeGoblins HQ

15. Steve at ThreeGoblins

Sep 10, 2012
    Tokyo

Aha, I have played you in-game, curious cat!

(1) The current highest campaign level is 40. But pvp rank has no limit.
    With each expansion we will raise the limit.
    Yes unlockable cards are definitely on the table, but we just couldn't cram it all in at the start.

(2) Rooted. I am guessing you are perhaps befuddled by the fact that if you attack an enemy minion that is rooted, and it's bigger than your creature, it still wins the fight, do it does it's little jiggle dance.
    But on the AIs actual turn, the rooted minion won't come charging over.
    This threw me initially too. Rooted stops a minion attacking , but they can defend just fine.

(3) The 8 next to your name is your pvp rank. As its a duelling game, we thought it was pretty important to show it.

See you in game, once the few initial glitches are firmly squashed

Cheers
    Steven, ThreeGoblins HQ

16. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Hi Steve,

thanks alot for the fast reply, and for taking time to answer; very much appreciated.
    Yes, your answers clear up things.
    More detailed reply might follow tomorrow.

17. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    this means there are 8 more factions that fit on the map providing another 24 scenarios to the campaign!?? [​IMG]

18. Sheinfell

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Fits. I see another 8 or 9 distinct areas on the map.
    My guess is that the Undead will be the purple area in the upper middle, the one with the mushroom growth.
    For giggles - and a change from the obvious - the pyramid desert area would be nicer for them.

19. Mack the Knife

Jun 21, 2012
    version 1.08, the update to fix the update is out!! 4pm California time...whoopee!

20. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    So, just curious, do the enemy decks remain somewhat consistent through their various levels? Like, sure, with each level their decks will contain more uncommon and rare cards, but will the Wildwoods Bear, for example, maintain a similar theme to his deck consistently?