Introducing Clash Force! Retro-Side-Scrolling Shoot Em Up!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Clash Force, Feb 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clash Force

Clash Force Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2012
    #1 Clash Force, Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
    Now Available!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/clash-force/id509945872?mt=8

Here's the New Topic in the other forum:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=126300

Introducing Clash Force! A retro, 8-bit style shoot 'em up!
    The Evil Crackman and his minions are causing mayhem, and only Clash Force is up to the task of stopping his fiendish plans! Take to the responsive onscreen controls and guide Voom, Scorpido, or Echid through forest bases, hydrofied deserts, underground mines, and eventually to Crackman's Flying Fortress where the final battle will unfold!

-----

*Over 20 stages of frantic retro action
    *Multiple weapon upgrades to make wasting enemies a snap!
    *Easy and Normal difficulty. Perfect for the novice OR the 1980s game masters.
    *Customize the onscreen controls for use on iphone or ipad!
    *Auto-save feature lets you pick up where you left off, something those dusty grey carts rarely did!
    *Coming March 2012
    *Price will be .99

First Trailer and Screenshots:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRnwPPEBpO0

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Oh wow, looks awesome :D

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Dont you love iOS gaming when something like this just suddenly turns up !

From the video it looks brilliant, 100% my cup of tea, instant purchase for me ! Roll on March when its released.

4. JoeyLP

JoeyLP Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    australia
    Looks extremely fun.

5. Clash Force

Feb 25, 2012
    Thanks for getting that up there sanuku.

Glad you guys are looking forward to it. This is my first release, hoping for the best!

6. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I am looking forward to this release but the Mega Man 2 references seem a little thick.

7. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Yeah they do! Luckily it's a different game but you can definitely tell what it was inspired by.

I'll definitely be getting this when it comes out!

8. Clash Force

Feb 25, 2012
    I have definitely been inspired by the Megaman series (3-6 more so than 2 though!). The initial inspiration actually came from more run and gun style games like contra, but the platforming aspects popular in Megaman gradually became more front and center as the game progressed. I think I've managed a good blend of different 8-bit styles in the gameplay department though and it's not a "clone" of anything. Just inspired by the classics.

9. DistantJ

DistantJ Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2012
    I've been lucky enough to see some of this game early, and I've been looking forward to it very much! Best of luck to the dev!

10. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Thanks for having the buttons customizable!

11. Estupendo1

Estupendo1 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2012
    ... ^Cool info to read about inspiration/design iteration.

It looks great and looks like it PLAYS great most importantly. I just played megaman 2 after a few games of league of evil, and like the shooting in mm2, but the platforming felt really stiff my comparison to loe. This looks like a nice combo of shooting and snappy platforming acrobatics. :)

The 3 chars are kinda different/cute too. Looks solid imo.

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Nothing wrong with being inspired, i dont get why 'some' people get so annoyed when games are inspired by older ones. Funny thing is i read kids go on about 'just a clone of mario' and they dont realise Mario was inspired by earlier platformers, they seem to think there were no games before 1990 !

This game looks a great mix of lots of my favourites from yesteryear, obviously Megaman, also i love Ghost n Goblins and its horizontal scrolling levels, this slightly reminds me of it and also Contra.

Any date yet for release ? ;)

13. Clash Force

Feb 25, 2012
    Megaman always had that stiff movement, where Mario always had a very icy feel. I'm more of a platform person, so the movement is closer to platformers than to 8-bit shooters.

I understand peoples' frustration with clones. And sometimes it's a fine line between "cloned" and "inspired". The word clone is overused though.

The funny thing about the idea behind this game, was that I was very intent on making an 8-bit style shooter in the vein of contra, but when I started trying to research similar games, I found that there was pretty much. . . contra. The rapid fire shooter genre was really more a product of the 16-bit generation. The 8-bit systems just didn't have the horsepower to have that much going on at once. So I basically just blended the shooter concept with my love of platformers. And honestly, I just love how the guys in Contra curl into a ball and do 200 flips every time they jump.

Release is just "March" right now. A more solid date should be coming very soon. I'll make sure I update this thread when that happens.

14. Estupendo1

Feb 10, 2012
    big ask!

Just refreshed my memory on contra, any chance of co-op for clash force?! :D

Game looks like heaps of fun. Is there any difference between the 3 choices of avatar? Ie do they have tweaked stats eg variation in speed/jump range/damage/special move or just aesthetic difference only etc?

You've posted the synopsis of the narrative, will there be much more to it than that and if so how is it conveyed to the player? Txs!

15. Clash Force

Feb 25, 2012
    The characters all control the same. I considered some differences, but after spending so much time tweaking the controls and movement to feel right, it seemed silly to change it. If there is ever a sequel I will most likely add some new characters that change up the gameplay in some way. The storyline is pretty simplistic in the vein of older 8-bit games. Some cut scenes open and close the game as well as a few smaller scenes similar to the zone transitions in Sonic 3.

16. Estupendo1

Feb 10, 2012
    Simplicity often works best. :) Those 3 chars just remind me of Rampage in a way I think they had a few differences, iirc? ;)

League of Evil story is good, the "story" works as a set-up because it makes punching/kicking the evil scientist at the end very satisfying (visual & raison d'etre!) after scraping through. Again simple works with fast pace.

17. DistantJ

DistantJ Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2012
    Scorpido is the best character, he just looks like a badass.

18. LuckyLionStudios

LuckyLionStudios Well-Known Member

This game looks like it's going to be a lot of fun. Really looking forward to playing it! And I agree, Scorpido all the way!

19. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #20 undeadcow, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
    I think Clash Force would be much more appealing if each character had a unique quality however minor. Character variety would profoundly enhance replay value and general fun (imagine even character customization features). After putting so much work into development to skimp on characterization seems like the developer is short changing himself. Unlockable unique characters (even IAP) would really compell further gameplay (i.e. now that I beat the game on normal to unlock xyz I've got to test new character out by playing more). For a game like Clash Force with an implication of multiple character action lack of variety is a real let down. Multiple skins for the same character is a nice touch but probably not a good initial move for Clash Force.