iPhone DarkNet: A Cyberpunk Turn-Based Strategy Game (from Mirror Match Games)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Ryan @ MMG, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Valentino @ MMG

Sep 3, 2011
    Art
    San Francisco, CA
    #21 Valentino @ MMG, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
    @squarezero, right before PAX we added our first version of the interactive glow, right now all cover objects allow you to duck behind them(the prototype animation doesn't have the animation for it), and ladders work. We plan on more objects of interest, such as primary/secondary hacking objectives and such.

@maniacfive, thanks for supporting us through checkers :), I think of it as an interactive tip jar for right now :). The art is only going to get better for Darknet, as I don't consider anything in it final yet.

@creature, thanks I'm a huge fan of tactics games(if you hadn't guessed) so I'll be looking forward to your next project :)

[​IMG]

so this week we've been busy getting checkers 1.1 stuff final, and buttonhack stuff, but I've been sketching a lot of darknet alternate hairstyles and character equipment. I'll try to post it more often, but we've been busy.

A lot of cyberpunk games really miss the "punk" part, and we are trying to bring that distinct style back into the genre. So I've been watching a lot of hairstyling and makeup youtube videos, and sketching ideas around for equipment and hairstyles. Pictured is a page from my sketchbook where I tried a few fempunk styles. Should be some more updates coming this week as well as a new video update.

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    If you have a chance, try to find a copy of Richard Kadrey's Metrophage -- probably the purest expression of the punk aspect of cyberpunk in fiction. The way fashion, music, and art come into play in the book opens up some pretty cool possibilities for a game.

This can't get released soon enough, as far as I'm concerned :).

3. Ryan @ MMG

Ryan @ MMG Active Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Indie Game Dev
    Davis, CA
    Week 6 video!

Sorry there's not more fun content for the video, as I explain in the clip the server stuff isn't at a "showable" state and it's eating most of my time.

Also, we posted a playable prototype of a small little game I'm using when I need a break from server code on our website. I'd love it if you'd take a look and give feedback. :)

[thread=106661]TA thread for buttonhack[/thread]
    Direct Link to our prototype page

4. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    #24 the9quad, Sep 30, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
    Nice game ryan, always look forward to your updates.. hint hint make another update for us! Even if it is just a story of your experiences making the game, have really enjoyed what you have posted so far. Buttonhack is fun btw

5. Ryan @ MMG

Ryan @ MMG Active Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Indie Game Dev
    Davis, CA
    Thanks for the encouragement! :)

I'm in San Francisco this week for the Unity developers conference, looking forward to getting home and resuming my normal work schedule.

Learning all sorts of cool stuff that I can't wait to get into darknet, shader info from the Shadowgun guys and the unity devs, all sorts of new details about the cool lighting and particle technologies that are coming in the new version of unity, and more! Hoping all this stuff will really help us take the look of the game to the next level.

6. the9quad

Apr 27, 2011
    Keep it up ryan, haven't heard from you in awhile, just a word of encouragement. Game looks baller.

7. Ryan @ MMG

Ryan @ MMG Active Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Indie Game Dev
    Davis, CA
    Thanks!

We've been in a holding pattern waiting for the release of Unity 3.5 -- it has so much of the functionality we need (built in pathfinding, light probes, the new particle system, new UI code) that it doesn't make sense to try to write a ton of that functionality on our own as a 3 man team.

In the meantime we've been working on Buttonhack which should be out soon. I can't wait to get back to Darknet though, I miss making the videos and getting all the great feedback from you guys!

One thing I did for DarkNet while I'm waiting for Unity 3.5 -- AirPlay support! It's not something that Unity supports out of the box, but it's so frigging cool to be able to play the game on my TV like a console game.

[​IMG]

8. masonnte

masonnte Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Thanks for the encouragement!

I'm in San Francisco this week for the Unity developers conference, looking forward to getting home and resuming my normal work schedule.

Learning all sorts of cool stuff that I can't wait to get into darknet, shader info from the Shadowgun guys and the unity devs, all sorts of new details about the cool lighting and particle technologies that are coming in the new version of unity, and more! Hoping all this stuff will really help us take the look of the game to the next level.

9. the9quad

Apr 27, 2011
    How you guys coming along? I check here everyday hoping I will see some more in progress stuff, hope everything is going well for you all.

10. Maniacfive

Maniacfive Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Phone Sales
    Kent, UK
    Bump! Whatever happened to DarkNet, it remains so cool looking.

11. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    I'm curious and hopeful, too. The blog doesn't seem to be mentioning iOS DarkNet so much any more; hope we'll still see it.

12. the9quad

Apr 27, 2011
    I am just hoping it is still being worked on and in the meantime they are getting some profitable work to do.

13. Valentino @ MMG

Sep 3, 2011
    Art
    San Francisco, CA
    hey, art guy from mirror match here :D. Yes we are still working on Darknet.

long story short: As a small independent studio of only 3 people, to give Darknet the support it needs, we need another title out quickly to help support us financially so we can take our time developing it.

This title will be My My Monsters, which was another title we had been planning on developing anyways. Although we are going to change the name to something else, no one likes that title apparently.

longer story:

So we originally wanted Darknet to be playable with users[like you all] in December. But we felt that we were rushing ourselves. We still like the idea of public development on it though and when we can get users in on it, you'll all be the first to know :D. Anyways, we looked at how much time it would take to get everything we wanted and it started ballooning pretty large.

One of the ways the game could get the love it needs is if we had the revenue to hire on some more employees, such as more artists and maybe another engineer. This way we wouldn't spend years developing Darknet, you'd get it faster, and we'd be playing you on it faster :D. Also even if we didn't get new employees, revenue would allow us to work on Darknet more comfortably[we have rent to pay after all :p]

So yes, we are still working on it, it just slowed down a bit while we shifted focus on Monsters, which we still need a better title for, and once that ships we'll be back on Darknet.

If anyone is curious the last darknet task I did was sketching costume ideas so you could customize your squad to look as cool or as goofy as you want. Panda masks, Afro G-Men, and Punk styles for example. When I fix my scanner, or find my digital camera I'll be sure to post those here.

14. Maniacfive

Nov 2, 2009
    Phone Sales
    Kent, UK
    Thanks very much taking the time to give us an update dude. :) Glad to know it's still being worked on, very glad, as those customisation options sound bananas great! (suggestion, banana hats.)

Good luck with M3, (or whatever it ends up being called.) I expect I shall insta-buy that, if for no other reason than to put more pennies into darknets purse. :D

15. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Wow, game looks fantastic! Can't believe I haven't seen this until now.

16. Valentino @ MMG

Sep 3, 2011
    Art
    San Francisco, CA
    Banana suits are now in the pipeline.

17. Maniacfive

Nov 2, 2009
    Phone Sales
    Kent, UK
    In..sta..buy :D:D:D:D

18. azmodan