Capcom reinvesting MH4 profits into new 4 billion yen internal Japanese mobile studio

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by italodance, Dec 2, 2013.

1. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    When the PS3 / 360 released, development investment increased from 15 billion JPY ($146.5 million) to 30 billion JPY ($293.0 million). The great thing about mobile and portable game development is that the expectations are lower (much lower for mobile) in terms of development commitment from the staff.

Essentially, Capcom wants to invest heavily in the smartphone gaming realm as an avenue for future growth opportunities. Capcom's mobile sector has been lagging recently, and they want to invest in it to increase their operating margin in that area.

The president of Capcom says the way for Capcom to dedicate resources to mobile development (in terms of both expertise and flexibility) is to increase the percentage of in-house development dedicated to it. To this end, Capcom is using 4 billion JPY ($39.1 million) of the revenue from Monster Hunter 4 to create a new studio in Osaka (where Capcom's HQ is located), and they are ramping up development staff accordingly.

The new center in Osaka still has a possibility of being multi-purpose, though.

Via:
    neogaf.com

2. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Nice, hope this leads to updates apps and more mobile games from them!

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yep I love capcom games. Hope to see many more of them in the near future

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Good news. I hope they dont waste these resources into social freemium crap.

5. Hope they add ios 7 joystick support, since most of their games are joystick based.

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Good point. Im almost sure they will though.

I think if they make a REAL Monster Hunter game for the touch interface (and not like the one they have on iOS right now), it would be the best thing ever for me :D

7. hoobastank68

hoobastank68 Active Member

Apr 20, 2010
    This is great news, can't wait to see what's to come ;)

8. ustwogames

ustwogames Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Pretty sure they could manage an iOS version of Viewtiful Joe with controller support = Make a ton of money.

Great news. Anyone else think Okami could potentially work with finger strokes as well?

9. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    Hoping for a possible real monster hunter port for iOS

10. redpanda33

redpanda33 Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Decatur GA
    Yup.

11. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Dino crisis
    Dino crisis
    Dino crisis
    Please.

12. You would be in heaven if that happened.

13. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    Well hope to see Ultra Street Fighter 4 on iOS next year I know it comes for consoles in June :)

14. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    And for PC in August... WTF with that.