can you program my 'honk the hornguy' app?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by hornguy, Feb 26, 2010.

1. hornguy

hornguy New Member

Hey guys,
    I sure hope I'm posting this in the right place and not breaking any rules. if so...ban me...or guide me...something!

I had thrown this idea at several programmers on 'theymakeapps.com' and found that many of them are looking for larger business app projects. some of them suggested the toucharcade forum.

I have zero app programming skills, but am looking for somebody to freelance program the app I'd like to create for my gig. I have charted it all out in a PDF and can send that to anybody who emails me [email protected]. I've been told this should be nicely achievable for someone with app skills. i'm an indie artist and have the indie budget...hopefully, I can line up with somebody who can do this relatively smaller project.

basically, my comedy gig is 25 bulb horns strapped around all my pits, joints, etc. flexing and such makes the different honk combos. so i thought it would be cool to make a 'pointless' yet goofy kind of fun app. a pic of the hornguy character...push a horn...it honks and he moves. then a simon says style game where the computer leads it out one horn at a time (adding a horn after each success) where you have to copy the on screen hornguy.

make sense?
    email me and I'll send the PDF to you
    [email protected]

thanks y'all! and keep rockin' the apps! i purchase these things all the time!

dave enns
    dave the horn guy

2. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    #2 Flickitty, Feb 26, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
    If this is indeed Dave the HornGuy, then I will simply say that he is legit. He has his own act that he performs at various functions, and he's auditioned for America's Got Talent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6ENv039yOI

So he obviously has the balls to follow through.

I would recommend that someone should at least contact Dave and take him up on the offer. No, this idea probably won't make you a millionaire, but are you a millionaire now? Probably not.

I usually tell idea people like Dave that their ideas are a dime a dozen. Dave's idea is just asinine enough to actually work, and besides, the guy has been on TV. He's going to go somewhere big, eventually, or die trying.

Anybody ever heard of Keyboard Cat? That was created by Charlie Schmidt, a crazy artist that live near me (Spokane, Washington). I've met Charlie several times, and attended his visual and performance art exhibits, and seen him perform with his former band The Trailer Park Girls. Dave reminds me of a younger version of Charlie. (that's a compliment)

3. hornguy

hornguy New Member

flickitty...you are crackin me up. yes, this is actually dave. i'm not cool enough to have somebody trying to arrange this for me! but yes, gonna push it hard...this is a fun gig with fun experiences. wish you the best in whatever you are doing. coming to seattle for a conference gig march 19. later...

4. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

#4 lazypeon, Feb 26, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
    I don't have enough time to commit to it, but this is super cool :) I'm having a hard time visualizing what the app would look like, but am intrigued by the idea.

If you don't mind sharing, do you have any mock-ups of how something like this might look? I see the part about simon-says which makes sense, but visually, what do you see going on? Is there some on-screen character with a bunch of horns, and you tap the one that you're supposed to? How does the on-screen character animate? I guess it would probably be like that video.

I could imagine some interesting things to encourage speed/flows, different songs, maybe different outfits, etc...

Also, from a marketing standpoint, I wonder if it makes sense to use your relative fame to help market the app (as opposed to some generic character)?

Looking forward to seeing this get picked up, I think it's a hilarious idea. It's funny to see someone kinda famous on the forums :)

EDIT: Gameplay idea reminds me of the toy 'Bop It'