Universal Repulze (by Pixelbite)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Pixelbite_Games, Jan 2, 2013.

1. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #101 syntheticvoid, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
    No... I don't mean that reviewers will update their reviews...

You're obviously not understanding... So I'll just stop.

BTW, Connector, I wanna know what it's like playing on TV! Only a couple more weeks til I'll get to see for myself! =oD

2. Evilkarma

Evilkarma Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Canada
    Was excited to get this right away when it came out. I got Flashout 3D which I was not impressed with regarding the turning of the ship but this game has control problems as well. No matter how high you set the tilt sensitivity level to, the initial change in direction of the ship is always slow and sluggish and then when you finally turn more it goes way off which means it's extremely difficult to minor adjust. Touch controls are impossible for these games so I won't even talk about that. If the controls were better and there were weapons and more opponents I'd enjoy it. But looks like I'm deleting this soon.

3. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I found the touch controls PERFECT. Once you get that the racers only need minor adjustments in order to make it through a track without crashing, the game gets a lot more manageable.

I'm generally not one for touch controls in racers, but here, I feel that it's been implemented perfectly.

BTW - I have my touch settings set to 70, which is perfect for me.

LOVIN IT!!

Really hope they don't touch the current controls, as by the time the update hits, people will have gotten use to them. But instead, that they add separate controls so that those of us who are attached to the current controls can keep playing the game with them as is.

4. Evilkarma

Dec 20, 2011
    Canada
    That's the problem though isn't it? Minor adjusting is terrible. The turning has some sort of controlled sensitivity depending on how hard you turn. It needs to be more sensitive when you try to minor adjust. You should be able to minor adjust with minimal tilting (you get less control if you have to tilt your device too much just to minor adjust), which these controls do not allow. I set mine from 50 to 70 to 80 and still nothing.

5. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I don't see it as a problem though... I guess is what I was getting at...

Not saying that your view is wrong by any means... And as always, the more control options, the better...

Just wanted to also state that I hope they also keep the current controls as is alongside any new control schemes they might add...

Hope they do add one that suits your play style so that you can enjoy the game though. It is great once you get into it. =o)

6. Evilkarma

Dec 20, 2011
    Canada
    Granted I only played 4 races but will definitely need to try some more lol

7. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    Same here the touch controls in my opinion are perfect no problem whatsoever, the tilt controls on the other hand are insanely slow even with high sensitive and these are the ones that need serious tweaks

8. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Well I redownload axl and flashout (hopefully flashouts update will fix FPS for touch 4 so I'm giving it some hope) I have touch controls where they were at when you first started the game I haven't touched the options I guess I'm use to it after axls control scheme.

9. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    I switched to touch controls, and though it really feels almost like a different game with digital input as opposed to analogue, (I'll always prefer the latter for a game of this type for the ability to take smooth curves) I'm finding it to be highly enjoyable.

I honestly have to scratch my head at folks who feel that something that looks this good and runs at 60 FPS is not worth a dollar. Perspective: I used to put a dollar in arcade machines for games of similar quality (and depth!) for maybe a minute or two worth of gameplay.

10. raymond_cgc

raymond_cgc Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Not everyone new gen hv tht experience!

11. kaibosh

kaibosh Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Uh, considering the games these guys have put out this *should* be insta-buy, but this, really, really smells of an unfinished game being foisted on us. If it sells well they will flesh it out? Seriously? If this is a gaming model we have to look forward to then I for one won't be supporting it. The game needs to stand on its own the day it is released. iOS developers are using the ability to update (patch) after the fact first as a crutch, and now as a threat?

Don't give me any crap about the price of the game, I expect a finished game when I buy it, not "oh we will fix all those problems and add more game modes if sales warrant it".

12. kaibosh

kaibosh Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Okay, so given how much I loved RR2 I bought the game, and I only want to add two things to the discussion...

- ghosts. Needs ghosts.

- just like RR2, there is a serious problem with the 'vehicle' LUNGING when you tap to change direction. This is the EXACT same issue that RR2 has, it seems to be the way this company wants to code their steering, well on a gravel road with spinning tires that was a minor annoyance (and it did it just the same with the sensitivity set to ZERO) but in this game... Just... NO. Fix it, it makes the game unplayable. Surely you guys have played the competitor's games, and know what we are talking about. We want touch steering, with a ramping up effect - what you guys have is an insane lurching action at the merest dab of the controls. Please... Fix it.

13. psy-phi

psy-phi New Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Desperately needs analog control with a quick ramp up, multiple style touch interfaces for that (the current left/right option, a slider, a wheel) and tilt with analog.

By all means keep the digital rails but I doubt many will prefer that if analog and no rails is set.

Otherwise, it's a great prototype. Get the controls sorted and then I can start to think about other things the game may or may not need.

14. Great game. I do agree with some of the others that both the touch and tilt controls could be adjusted a little to make them feel responsive. Sometimes it does seem that there is a delay or something. Even with the calibration settings, can't quite get the feel that I would like.

But this issue is not a game changer. The controls still work.

But the game is great, and I highly recommend it! Great price now!

15. Brrobotix

Brrobotix Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    Great game. While not as ambitious as some of the other wipeout-likes it feels polished and has pretty good replayability with the challenge and rank systems. Great graphics, smooth framerate on my ipad3, and it has an amazing sense of speed with a challenging polarity gate system to keep you on your toes in every race. Best of all, it's got tons of potential if they do indeed add content via updates. However, to those criticizing the release early and update often plan, here I'd say that the current build is easily worth the $.99 entry fee.

16. raymond_cgc

Jan 3, 2013
    You forget that we oso get all the other modes later as free updates, plus got no in-app hanky panks! This is a dollar worth spending!!

17. operaguy2112

operaguy2112 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    This isn't a game that was released with unfinished assets and bugs all over the place. Yes, the tilt control is problematic, but what is here is very polished and high quality. The game with no updates is a lot of fun and certainly a finished product, but more modes will certainly be a welcome addition.

Pricing is a consideration because Real Racing 2 had a ton of content but was $5. This doesn't have as much, and for $5 I would be disappointed, but for a buck it is certainly worth it.

18. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Some of the design on the later levels is really stunning

19. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    +1!
    That's the way I feel exactly! It's NOT ok to do otherwise IMO as well!

20. raymond_cgc

Jan 3, 2013
    Ok, first they dont advertise the game for being a full racer. It is only time trial. Second, it costs a God-smacking 0.99.

Take it at that point, it is a friggin good game offered at a unbeatable price. Do i mention this got no inapps?

Now, the guys making the game say Ok look, in future if this sells well for 0.99, we will add more modes, and they are free for you. For others, we increase the entrance fee.

How is this bad? I agree, if the game many have problem, I will angry too...but like now it is really good. If you discount the future update and the game is as it is, who cam complaint? They are gonna makes a already good games better, and there you are crying.

Sometimes this place confuses me. For $2.99, you say Hundreds is a good value. Then for $0.99 you complain about Repulze. Bah//