What´s with all this Doodle/Zombie Games lately?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tblrsa, Aug 18, 2010.

1. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    #1 tblrsa, Aug 18, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
    Anyone else annoyed by all this "Doodle This - Doodle That", "Copycat VS. Zombie" Games lately? I don´t even look at them anymore, can´t they come up with something fresh and original?

Maybe i´m being mean here, but honestly, do they really expect the game to sell better, just because it has "Doodle" or "Zombie" in its name? Come on, the fact that there has been ONE particular strong selling game with this setting, doesn´t mean all those games will sell like cake per se.

The cake is a lie anyway. :)

2. Tmonine

Tmonine Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Casual
    Australia
    Just because it uses an unimaginative title doesn't necessarily mean it's not an original game. With zombie games in particular, I have about ten and they all use pretty much completely different gameplay mechanics and are all based on a different core contention.

3. Gravity Jim

Gravity Jim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Commercial music producer
    Santa Rosa, CA
    And I know of at least one best-selling zombie game that was created long before it was a cliché... in fact, it seems to me it helped establish the zombie genre on the AppStore.

When games like Doodle Jump and Zombieville USA nail down what looks like a hit concept, lots of other devs are going to follow.

And I'm curious... what does "the cake is a lie anyway" mean?

4. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    Cmon you've never played a game called portal ?

5. Gravity Jim

Gravity Jim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Commercial music producer
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Aaaah... no, sadly, I haven't. It's one of the PC games that looked really intensely interesting to me, but I have just never had time to try it.

But now I have an even better reason to check it out... to learn a new phrase!

6. Tmonine

Tmonine Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Casual
    Australia
    The phrase is more of an Internet meme than something which is actually significant in the game.

7. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Just when you thought it couldn't go any deeper, Doodle Dump comes out. ;\

8. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    I know, and that makes it even more problematic. I guess the market is oversaturated with Doodle Games, so those few Doodle themed games which actually would be quite good don´t get much attention. You can call it prejudice, but i just don´t take the time to look at them anymore. Guess i´m not the only one.

9. skidbubble

skidbubble Active Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Lets not forget the neon-this, glow that...

10. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    #10 tblrsa, Aug 18, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
    And of course -> We Farm, We Rule, We Milk You Dry, ...

I´m glad that there are still indie devs with fresh ideas developing for the Appstore. It´s not like those are the only games fortunately.

11. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Don't you be hatin' on the neon!